Help! NeoHE "minimum load of 1A on all +12V rails"

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

MikeC
Site Admin

Post by MikeC » Thu Mar 30, 2006 7:54 am

Just in case anyone missed it in my edit of my last post...

CORRECTION: re - non-compliance with the ATX12V spec
I am wrong about this. :oops: Intel's ATX12V v2.xx guide doesn't state that it is a requirement, it simply uses 1A as a typical minimum for the 12V lines in all the examples of PSU power distribution it outlines.

The PSU Design Guide is less a spec and more a guide; it's still up to the PSU makers to ensure their products work with current motherboards, etc. And for motherboard makers to ensure thier products work with current PSUs, etc.

xaffeine

Post by xaffeine » Sat May 06, 2006 12:47 pm

What a bizarre situation - the most energy-efficient motherboards incompatible with the most energy-efficient power supplies!

Anyway, I appreciate y'all doing so much to help the community by running down these and other issues.

So here's my situation: I am attracted to the Antec P150 because I'm dying to get an easy-to-build low-noise system. The power-supply issues scare me, though, me because I am solder-impaired.

<warning: newbie question ahead>

Does the following plan make sense? 1. Put together the P150 and Asus N4L mother board, etc. 2. If it doesn't boot, add a 7600GS PCIe video card. 3. If it still doesn't boot, swap in a Seasonic power supply.

Thanks again for the interesting information and discussion.

valnar

Post by valnar » Sun May 07, 2006 2:10 pm

I bought the P150 case and it came with a S/N on the power supply starting with 0512xxxx.... Since my build can wait a week or two, I didn't even bother to try it. I simply called Antec and told them in was "broken". I want the latest and greatest power supply, period. All the above fixes are admirable, but it's not something I want to think about a couple years later when I decide to change out the motherboard or components. I would rather start troubleshooting from a known good power supply, not an unknown, in case there are problems.

Robert