VGA card problems

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

walla walla

VGA card problems

Post by walla walla » Tue Apr 25, 2006 3:58 pm

My system has been crashing recently. It usually crashes once or twice a day. It all started happening when i used a thermalright hr-01 cooler, but the motherboard components were getting too hot. I switched to an SI-120 with a nexus fan and that dropped my temps about 15 degrees. I don't think this is a temperature issue because my the cpu and system are usually around 35º and the video card is around 46º.

So anyways, any help with my crashing problem would be nice, but what my real question is:

I ran a Fix-it Utilities 6.0 diagnostic test and the video ram test failed and it said it was due to bad of failing memory. The polygon drawying test and the bit block drawing test alo failed. Those two said there was a problem with the video driver, the video memory or the video hardware. I thought maybe I messed it up somehow when i put an accelero x1 on it so i put my old BFG 6600gt oc (which is extremely loud BTW) in my computer and i ran the test again i recieved the same errors. Any ideas?

EDIT: i ran it again and the polygon test and the bitblock transfer test passed, but the video ram still failed and the line drawing test failed and they both said it was from failing or bad memory. But i still don't think thats the case on both of my cards.
EDIt #2: i ran it again and the only thing that failed was the video ram test. Is it a problem with my card or a problem with the test?

ultraboy
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by ultraboy » Tue Apr 25, 2006 4:54 pm

When it crashed, what did the Blue Screen say? It normally would give you a clue on what may cause the crash.

My wild guess right now would be to first do a clean uninstall of all VGA Drivers, utility like Driver Cleaner does a good job IMO. Then install the latest VGA driver - test again. You might also want to do a reinstall of your Windows - use the repair option (I assume you use XP). If it still crashs, then at least you can eliminate software side of thing.

Hardware side, it could be VGA card, MB(VGA slot not making good contact), or even PSU.

walla walla

Post by walla walla » Tue Apr 25, 2006 4:59 pm

There isn't a blue screen. It just turns off. Thanks. I'll try some of that later when I don't have so much work.

Well when it sends the error report after the computer starts back up again, it says it doesn't know whats causing it, but it might be the PSU, the CPU, the motherboard, or the ram.

Beyonder

Post by Beyonder » Wed Apr 26, 2006 8:35 am

Sounds like a defective video card. Were it me, I'd do this:

1. Update video drivers and OS. See if problem persists.
2. Try different video card. See if problem persists.
3. If problem persists, start plucking out components. Remove all unneccessary component from the machine that you can (additional cards, extra sticks of RAM, etc.) and boot with just the bare minimums. If you have two sticks of RAM, test booting with both of them.
4. From there, if the system is still unstable, at least you've narrowed things down a bit. If it isn't, start adding back components one at a time.

walla walla

Post by walla walla » Sat Apr 29, 2006 7:08 am

I have left my old video card in the copmuter and the random rebooting seems to have stopped. Is it possible that i messed up the memory while I was installing the accelero x1 cooler or is the card just defective?

depravedone

Post by depravedone » Sun Apr 30, 2006 5:51 am

If your power supply has less than 25A rating on the 12V, it could be a major factor when running the 7800. Also, your CPU is an absolute power hog too, which can't make the load any easier for it.

cAPSLOCK

Post by cAPSLOCK » Sun Apr 30, 2006 6:23 am

or how about STATIC DEATH!!! :evil: :evil: :evil: