Venice 3000+@22degress idle! Is my monitoring chip faulty?

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

porkchop

Venice 3000+@22degress idle! Is my monitoring chip faulty?

Post by porkchop » Thu May 25, 2006 2:40 am

I have just built a new system with a Venice 3000+ e6 cpu.
the other components are:
Abit KN8-SLI
Xpertvision 7600GS
1GB Kingston HyperX
WD3200JS
Antec NEO HE 380W
All inside my Antec super lanboy.
No case fans(side panels are always off) and stock cooling; cpu fan at 60%(using AMD cool and quiet ~1800rpm); 7600GS fan at 5V.
All voltages are stock.

I'm a little worried that the monitoring chip is faulty. My current temps are:
Mainboard 21C
CPU 22C
7600GS 34C
WD3200JS 36C

i know that venices are cool but 22C and 1C above case temp seems a little off, even at full load it doesn't break 30C. I stopped the fan and it still ran below 30C at full load(only did this for a couple of min, it was a little scary)!

i overclocked it to 2.4GHz(300x8) and upped the voltage to 1.5V, and it ran at about 37C full load.

The fan stayed at 1800rpm through all of this; the temps look kind of right, exept for the cpu temps which look like they need an extra 10C or so.

I touched the heatsink and it was indeed cool.

So is it possible that the monitoring chip is not working properly, or is my chip just ridiculously cool and i'm just being paranoid?

what do you guys think?

stukovx

Post by stukovx » Thu May 25, 2006 7:23 am

what week is your venice? I have a week 17 that idles at 22 using smart guardian.

Tibors
Patron of SPCR

Post by Tibors » Thu May 25, 2006 8:11 am

It is perfectly normal for Venice and Winchester A64 chips to run at case temp when idle (and CnQ is on). At least it is when you have a decent CPU cooler.

porkchop

Post by porkchop » Thu May 25, 2006 10:10 pm

it's just me then, thats also great news because i was planning on getting rid of the stock cooler and putting a bigger hs on, and then mounting a 950rpm 120mm fan from the side of the case so the hs doesn't vibrate and there's less wind noise. - it'll also cool down the chipset and ram too.
i also plan to stop the gpu fan and mount a 1600rpm 92mm fan under it.

the current loudest thing in my case is the resonance from the case caused by my hd, might have to suspend it or get a new case with thicker walls.
cpu fan and gpu fan are also audible, but very quiet.

Q for stukovx -
did you try ocing your venice? i can't seem to get 2.7ghz(300x9).
what are tyour load temps?
can i check the week without looking at the processor? cause i don't want to take off the hs, i don't have and good thermal paste lying around.

thanks guys, i guess i was just being paranoid.

Le_Gritche

Re: Venice 3000+@22degress idle! Is my monitoring chip fault

Post by Le_Gritche » Fri May 26, 2006 6:19 am

porkchop wrote:So is it possible that the monitoring chip is not working properly, or is my chip just ridiculously cool and i'm just being paranoid?
You can check in the BIOS when the computer has just booted. Look for the CPU temp, it should be the same as the ambient temp (or just 1 or 2° hotter) if the computer had been off for some time.
For exemple, if the reported temp is 17°C while the temperature in the room is 20°C, you will know there is a 4 or 5 °C offset between the real and the reported temperature.
It won't rule out a potential linear offset but that's a start.
That trick was in the Calibrate Your CPU Temp Reporting article, you should read it.

stukovx

Post by stukovx » Fri May 26, 2006 10:02 am

porkchop wrote:it's just me then, thats also great news because i was planning on getting rid of the stock cooler and putting a bigger hs on, and then mounting a 950rpm 120mm fan from the side of the case so the hs doesn't vibrate and there's less wind noise. - it'll also cool down the chipset and ram too.
i also plan to stop the gpu fan and mount a 1600rpm 92mm fan under it.

the current loudest thing in my case is the resonance from the case caused by my hd, might have to suspend it or get a new case with thicker walls.
cpu fan and gpu fan are also audible, but very quiet.

Q for stukovx -
did you try ocing your venice? i can't seem to get 2.7ghz(300x9).
what are tyour load temps?
can i check the week without looking at the processor? cause i don't want to take off the hs, i don't have and good thermal paste lying around.

thanks guys, i guess i was just being paranoid.
I have the same limit as you. I could reach 2.7ghz at 1.45v. No added volts helped oc at all. But I prefer power/noise over performance ever since SPCR. Only way to check stepping is by looking at the cpu.

porkchop

Post by porkchop » Mon May 29, 2006 7:11 am

left the pc off for a bit then went into bios to check the temps and the cpu was about 3c above case temp.
monitoring chip pobably isn't faulty.

but right now the cpu temp has dropped as low as 18.5 and 2-3c below case temp!

i give up.

on a side note; i suspened my hd (posted pics in general gallery) and woah- what a difference.
the resonance is gone.
my case isn't vibrating at all.
and now my fans and the hd seems so loud. - i'll have to do something about it later.

anyway, thanks for your help guys!

CA_Steve

Post by CA_Steve » Mon May 29, 2006 9:43 am

Depending on the components on the mobo and the s/w used for temp sensing, the measurements can be off by 5-6C. Your mileage may vary.

At 90nm and below, the classic method using CPU diode for sensing temp loses accuracy. New methods are out...just a matter of finding out which mobo mfgrs are using them.

porkchop

Post by porkchop » Wed May 31, 2006 2:47 am

i've really given up but thanks anyway.

i finished messing with the fans too so now the loudest thing in my case is my suspended hd.

check out the general gallery if you're interested-
titled: my cheap but quiet super lanboy.

thanks again anyone who replied or even just looked.