Quiet System Rebuild: Comments Welcome

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

fastturtle

Quiet System Rebuild: Comments Welcome

Post by fastturtle » Fri Jun 02, 2006 8:08 am

Well I've finally selected all of the components I'm going with for a quiet rebuild and the total cost is just under $400 U.S. with all parts from Newegg. The reasons I'm performing this rebuild include:

1) Need USB 2.0
2) Increased Memory
3) Replacing a Noisy case

Here's what I'm going with:

Silverstone SST-TJ08 Matx Case
Biostar M7VIG-400 Socket A board
eVGA 128-A8 NV96LX MX4000 video card
FSP 300watt Green 80+ with aPFC
2x Kingston 1 gig PC2700 ValueRam
Edit
Changed Memory brand and speed to
2x G.Skill 1 gig PC3200 ValueRam
Saves a bit over the cost of the Kingston Ram and is compatible with future Upgrade to Asus Athlon64 board

Since I don't have any performance issues with my current XP1800, I decided that rebuilding as a quiet system was more important plus I get the benefit of a case/psu combo that provides a good backbone for a future upgrade.

Some of you may be wondering why I'm going with a new video card since I obviously have a working one. Turns out though that my recently purchased FX5200 doesn't have hardware acceleration while the new card does.

Another thing I plan on doing is installing, if it'll fit, is a massive 450g heatsink designed for overclocking and putting a nexus 80 on it either for active or if I'm able to under clock/volt the board as backup for a passive cooling effort.

Hopefully the under clock/volt effort will allow me to reduce cpu to 1ghz, which is another reason for the new vid card. It should provide the boost I need in video playback and flash games while keeping the cpu passively cooled.
Last edited by fastturtle on Fri Jun 02, 2006 2:45 pm, edited 3 times in total.

SD-Plissken

Post by SD-Plissken » Fri Jun 02, 2006 8:31 am

fastturtle looks good doing an old school build thats quiet. enjoy it.

Sidenote: I think the M7VIG-400 you listed is made by biostar http://www.biostar-usa.com/mbdetails.as ... =m7vig+400

fastturtle

Post by fastturtle » Fri Jun 02, 2006 9:56 am

Thanks SD-Plissken:

I didn't even notice that and I just checked the website for the manual today. Just had a blond moment and I'm not even a blonde.

UDPATE
After Reviewing things, I discovered a Biostar Tforce 6100 and Semperon64 2500+ combo that only adds an extra $150 to my rebuild costs and I think I'll actually go that route. Note that all of the other components remain the same, so there's very little actually changing except for the motherboard and the addition of a new cpu plus the usage of a Trio of Scythe 800 rpm S-Flex fans and the XP120 cooler.

Now if I didn't get the XP120 cooler and the scythe fans, I'd save about $95.00 dollars of the cost. This means that over 2/3 the cost is tied up in the better cooling solution and I consider that cost to be investment into future upgrades.

What I really appreciate though is the fact that I can now get a 64 bit system for very little more then the Rebuild will run me While also getting a pretty quiet computer out of it.