New case and PSU needed - suggestions please

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Nick Geraedts
SPCR Reviewer

New case and PSU needed - suggestions please

Post by Nick Geraedts » Sat Jun 03, 2006 2:24 am

Hello everyone,

I've been a long-time viewer, but first-time poster here at SPCR. I've been reading up on silent-ing my computer and I've got quite a ways with it.

I've currently got a fairly old system:

Athlon XP 2000+
1GB PC2700
nVidia Geforce II MX 200 (yeah baby...)
200GB Seagate Barracuda 7200.7
160GB Maxtor (something-or-other)
2x80GB Seagate Barracude 7200.9 (RAID1)
LG DVD+/-RW DL (all that jazz)
Antec 2650 case (with included 350W PSU)

I replaced the stock heatsink with the Zalman CNPS3100+ and I'm using an 80mm SilenX fan that I got for free to cool that. I also replaced the stock 120mm exhaust fan with a Nexus fan and things are definately quieter. The only other thing I could do to make things quieter would be to replace the PSU and suspend the hard drives.

My next little dillemma lies here - my sister's computer died, so I'm going to get some upgraded replacement parts and re-build her computer for her. The case that she's got is simply terrible - really small and no space for cooling at all. For her system, she'll only have one or two hard drives and a single optical drive. These and the mATX motherboard she's getting will end up swimming in the Antec 2650 that I've got, and there will still be some room for more.

So... this leaves me wanting/needing a new case and PSU. When the CoolerMaster Stacker came out, I almost fainted. Having that much space for RAID file storage makes me...excited. The fact that I have the potential to put just about any motherboard on the market in the next 5 years in there is a plus as well (it supports ATX and the new BTX form factors).

After reading all the topics on suspended hard drive mounting, I took another look, and it seems like it would be possible to simply suspend hard drives in the 5.25" bays - no adaptor or anything. Does anyone have any significant pros/cons for this case?

I've also been looking at the Antec Phantom 350W PSU. The system that I've got isn't extreme, and won't be. It's a file server, and as long as it lives, it'll stay that way (possibly add some more new drives in future). I'm guessing that this should be enough for my current setup and a few more drives.

I've also seen a lot of comments about the P180 and some other cases, but I really wanted something that's a little out there. I've only seen the Stacker in person once, and it's absolutely gorgeous.

Does anyone have any suggestions on this setup? I'd take back my Nexus and SilenX fans for my system again, so the default CM Stacker fans might get the axe if they're too loud. Also, if I'm able to get all my drives suspended in the existing 5.25" bays, it might save me some time in the machine shop.

Thanks in advance! The amount of information here can be a bit overwhelming.

McBanjo

Post by McBanjo » Sat Jun 03, 2006 6:49 am

really small and no space for cooling at all
A small case require less cooling. Is it any special cooling you had in mind? Got a picture of the case interior?
She could buy Antec P150 and you could keep yours
After reading all the topics on suspended hard drive mounting, I took another look, and it seems like it would be possible to simply suspend hard drives in the 5.25" bays - no adaptor or anything. Does anyone have any significant pros/cons for this case?
5.25" places are where people usualy suspend their HDDs since you need some space between the HDD and the case. Go and buy some rubberband or something and you'll be fine. Doubt you'll be moving the case much but it is a possible risk that softmounted HDDs will fall off.
I've also been looking at the Antec Phantom 350W PSU. The system that I've got isn't extreme, and won't be. It's a file server, and as long as it lives, it'll stay that way (possibly add some more new drives in future). I'm guessing that this should be enough for my current setup and a few more drives.
Yea, shouldn't be a problem
I've also seen a lot of comments about the P180 and some other cases, but I really wanted something that's a little out there. I've only seen the Stacker in person once, and it's absolutely gorgeous.
Stacker got some uses but I don't think it's very quiet. Might be wrong since I don't have much info on it (I don't like it ;-))

NeilBlanchard

Post by NeilBlanchard » Sat Jun 03, 2006 7:21 am

Welcome to SPCR!

The Stacker would not be what I would choose. The list of "quiet" cases that I would consider, in no particular order:

Evercase 4252
Antec SLK3000B
Antec Solo

Since these come w/o a power supply, I would either get a SeaSonic S12, or a Fortron Source "Green" power supply.

And Evercase also needs an exhaust fan, so I would probably get either a GlobalWin NCB, or a Scythe DF for that. Ditto for an intake fan, if you want to keep your HD's good and cool -- heat is the thing that most likely causes most HD failures.

Howard

Post by Howard » Sat Jun 03, 2006 11:19 am

The FSP400-GLN is probably the best deal around for lower-power PSUs.

Nick Geraedts
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Nick Geraedts » Sun Jun 04, 2006 12:16 am

Thanks everyone for your replies.

@McBanjo - What I meant by the small case not having enough cooling was that things were far too cramped in there, constricting the airflow. Yes, a slightly smaller case will have more airflow than a slightly larger, but then there comes too small - this was too small. ;)

I do realize that softmounted hard drives are well... soft-mounted and that they have the potential to fall if bumped hard enough. However, the computer is going to be a file server and isn't going to be moved much.

@NeilBlanchard - I'm looking for a decently quiet case, but also a case that I can keep shoving stuff into for the next 4 or 5 years. I'm planning on expanding my RAID array over the next while, and the case that I have simply doesn't cut it. I'm going to be needing space for at least another 2 hard drives in about a year. The BTX capability of the Stacker is another big plus.

Are there any real cons to using the Stacker (aside from price)? I'm willing to lay down the money on a really good case if it means that I don't have to buy a new one when I want to upgrade my system in a few years. I'll probably end up getting another 120mm Nexus fan to use to cool the hard drives

Also - if we're all going for silent computers, why wouldn't the Phantom be a good choice? It's fanless, meaning that it should be quieter than a PSU that has a fan - a quiet fan or not. Anything that moves causes vibrations which end up causing sound. I'm not trying to dispute your suggestions, but my gut feeling and logic tell me otherwise. I'd like to get this computer as silent as possible and I'm willing to pay the premium. At the moment, the hard drives and PSU fan in my Antec 2650 are the loudest points, so if I can get a quieter PSU and suspend my hard drives, that should help things a lot.

Thanks again for all your help. I really appreciate the input. :D

NeilBlanchard

Post by NeilBlanchard » Sun Jun 04, 2006 7:07 am

Hello,

The Evercase 4252 can have a second HD cage added, to have four HD's total; it's $8.50 plus shipping:
http://www.usereasy.com/product_5147.html

The SLK3000B can hold five HD's, IIRC.

The Solo can do three suspended drives, or four with the grommets and sleds.

All three also have four 5.25" external bays, so two or three are available for (suspended?) HD's.

BrianE

Post by BrianE » Sun Jun 04, 2006 10:24 am

Hello, do you mean the original Stacker, or the new Stacker 830? If it's the 830 I agree, it's pretty amazing looking. I haven't seen one in person yet, but it just looks so different and futuristic I'm trying to think of an excuse to get one someday. :) I imagine it could be made quiet in one sense since it's such a free-flowing case (much like previous Stackers), but paradoxically it might not be the best for quiet RAID arrays for the same reason. Quieting down hard drives seems to require soft mounting (however you do it), but also blocking the seek noise behind doors and sheet metal, which may be why NeilBlanshard isn't too hot on the idea of the Stacker. Maybe he could confirm or elaborate since it seems you really like this case.

You could probably modify it to be acoustically more like a regular case, but that sounds like a lot of work and then you'd only be buying for pure looks.

I agree that a fanless PSU is probably best, because that lets you choose and control the fan however you wish. It requires you pay more attention to temperatures, but it opens up more cooling options and seems better to me than opening up a brand new PSU and messing around with it.

fastturtle

Post by fastturtle » Sun Jun 04, 2006 12:30 pm

Zxian: If your sisters case is a Matx, One I'd suggest is a very sweet looking Silverstone. The SST-TJ08. The only thing it'll need is a FSP Power Supply. Got the specs for case/psu selected right here: http://forums.silentpcreview.com/viewtopic.php?t=31853

Shold work nicely while looking pretty good.

Nick Geraedts
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Nick Geraedts » Mon Jun 05, 2006 8:33 am

@BrianE - Thanks for your reply. I was actually thinking of the original Stacker - to be honest, I didn't even know about the 830 until you showed me the link. :wink:

Your points about the hard drive noise are completely valid, but I'm not too worried about seek noise. The RAID setups that I've got are going to be either RAID1 or RAID5 setups, purely for nightly backups. I end up going through a lot of data at my school and work, and I figure it's probably worth it to keep it all safe and secure. I'm guessing that in the next year or so, I'll need another 100GB or so of space (meaning another drive or two). The computer is essentially a file server, so there's absolutely no need for any extremely high-end-high-power components. The only cables connected to it at the moment are the power cord and an ethernet cable. I haven't actually tested the power draw at the moment, but I'm guessing that it's fairly low. Most of the core hardware components are about 4 years old. :)

I had read about someone who replaced the side grill with a piece of glass, and I was thinking of doing the same with some quality acrylic (I've got a contact in my university's department). It would give me a nice window, and possibly help curb a little bit of by adding a touch of weight and rigidity.

And yes - I have sorta had my hopes set on this case ever since I read about it a while back. I was just wondering if it was one of those looks-great-but-is-actually-really-horrible-cases, kinda like some exotic cars. :P

@fastturtle - Thanks for the suggestion, but I was hoping to just give my sister my current case since it'll be more than plenty for her system (1 HD, 1 optical, mATX mobo). If I can find a beast of a case that fits everything I need, then I've killed two birds with one stone. 8)

gharkins

Post by gharkins » Mon Jun 05, 2006 8:42 am

Hey,

Buy the Eclipse DV from Thermaltake - if you are in the Uk

For the PSU, the Hiper Type-R is really powerful and apart from what people on here say, it is ultra quiet. 17db to 21db!

tomfrew

Post by tomfrew » Mon Jun 05, 2006 8:50 am

i would strongly advise you to get a modular PSU. aswell as keeping everything neat in the case it aslo helps cooling.

as for a case, if you are looking for a good looking case. have a look a termaltake, nomatter what people say about them.