Windows XP - OEM or retail?

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Stephen

Windows XP - OEM or retail?

Post by Stephen » Mon Jul 10, 2006 4:02 pm

I'm collecting parts for my first pc build. I'm getting WIndows XP - understanding I will upgrade to Vista at some point un the future. I know OEM is a lot cheaper than retail, and my understandng is that OEM would be limited to the pc I build and intall it on. Is that true? Are there any other pros and cons to OEM versus retail for Windows XP?

darthan

Post by darthan » Mon Jul 10, 2006 4:23 pm

there is absolutely no difference between OEM and retail Windows XP. Well, except the very important price difference. Go get that OEM version.

Stephen

Post by Stephen » Mon Jul 10, 2006 4:32 pm

is it true that it will be limited to the pc on which I originally install it? Can it be transferred to a different pc later? (Though at the OEM price I suppose it doesn't matter).

josephclemente

Post by josephclemente » Mon Jul 10, 2006 4:49 pm

I got XP Home Edition Upgrade for $50 each during a sale at Best Buy. I did a clean install. While it is the "upgrade edition", it didn't ask me for my previous version of Windows.

I have some experience with an OEM version as well, XP MCE 2005. I was able to transfer it to a different PC, I had to call Microsoft's registration number to do it though.

jaganath

Post by jaganath » Tue Jul 11, 2006 2:12 am

there is absolutely no difference between OEM and retail Windows XP. Well, except the very important price difference. Go get that OEM version.
Totally agree.
is it true that it will be limited to the pc on which I originally install it? Can it be transferred to a different pc later? (Though at the OEM price I suppose it doesn't matter).
AFAIAA you can transfer it to a different PC, as long as you scrap the old one. You are also right that for the price of one retail version you can buy several OEM's with unique product keys.

nick705

Post by nick705 » Tue Jul 11, 2006 2:42 am

jaganath wrote:
AFAIAA you can transfer it to a different PC, as long as you scrap the old one. You are also right that for the price of one retail version you can buy several OEM's with unique product keys.
I'm not sure that's true - I've seen posts on other forums where people have tried to reactivate an OEM version after upgrading their motherboard, only to be informed that they now effectively had a "new PC" and that an OEM product was only licensed to the machine on which it was originally installed (subject to the normal upgrade allowances, which apparently doesn't include the mobo).

I think only a full retail version entitles you to transfer it to a different PC (provided you remove it from the original of course). The labyrinthine complexities of MS licensing give me a headache though, and I could well be off the mark. Best to check before you hand over your money, although if you can buy several OEMs for the price of one retail version it may be a moot point anyway... :)

nici

Post by nici » Tue Jul 11, 2006 5:16 am

I have one XP Home sp1 OEM, i´ve had it installed on six or seven mobos and at least three CPUs and last time i installed it i could just activate it over the internet like the first time.. It seeems to be possible after not using it for some time, otherwise i have to call MS.

Same with the XP Pro sp2 OEM.

DaveLessnau

Post by DaveLessnau » Tue Jul 11, 2006 5:42 am

Back in the early part of the year (2006), MS changed their license so that OEM versions of XP are tied to the motherboard. They figured that the motherboard is the heart and soul of a computer and if you replace that, you've essentially got a new computer. So, new motherboard = new OEM license.

JVM
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by JVM » Tue Jul 11, 2006 5:55 am

The one difference between buying OEM and retail that I've not seen posted, though it may not be important to many (or anyone here :)), is with retail version you get a few (3?) "free incidents" to contact MS for help.

cmthomson

Post by cmthomson » Tue Jul 11, 2006 6:13 am

DaveLessnau wrote:Back in the early part of the year (2006), MS changed their license so that OEM versions of XP are tied to the motherboard. They figured that the motherboard is the heart and soul of a computer and if you replace that, you've essentially got a new computer. So, new motherboard = new OEM license.
I replaced my motherboard a couple of weeks ago and XP Home OEM installed without even a phone call.

One possibility: my replacement was the same type (old one died), so it's possible that a different board type could cause an issue.

ont

Post by ont » Tue Jul 11, 2006 6:23 am

There are also always good prices for students (school, university,...) and teachers. It'll be the full retail version of XP plus a little sticker that says: Educational Version. If you apply to any of these groups, that might be worth investigating. You'll have to search a bit for a retailer, but calling Microsofts service should lead you to one.

jaganath

Post by jaganath » Tue Jul 11, 2006 7:14 am

Back in the early part of the year (2006), MS changed their license so that OEM versions of XP are tied to the motherboard. They figured that the motherboard is the heart and soul of a computer and if you replace that, you've essentially got a new computer. So, new motherboard = new OEM license.
Can you prove this? The validation of XP has always been tied to a "roll call" of components, namely:
What are the 10 hardware characteristics used to determine the hardware hash?

The 10 hardware characteristics used to determine the hardware hash are: Display Adapter, SCSI Adapter, IDE Adapter, Network Adapter MAC Address, RAM Amount Range (i.e. 0-64mb, 64-128mb, etc), Processor Type, Processor Serial Number, Hard Drive Device, Hard Drive Volume Serial Number, CD-ROM/CD-RW/DVD-ROM.
http://www.microsoft.com/piracy/activation_faq.mspx
If more than 3 of the above are changed, re-activation is required. A new motherboard often triggers re-activation, because it can contain a Display Adapter, IDE adapter, SCSI Adapter and a Network Adapter, thus exceeding the changes limit.
I have one XP Home sp1 OEM, i´ve had it installed on six or seven mobos and at least three CPUs and last time i installed it i could just activate it over the internet like the first time.. It seeems to be possible after not using it for some time, otherwise i have to call MS.
http://www.microsoft.com/piracy/activation_myths.mspx
Product Activation keeps users from changing or upgrading their hardware.
Not true at all. Users can change or upgrade their hardware. One of the forms of piracy that Product Activation guards against is hard disk imaging. Not all forms of hard disk imaging are illegal. In the case where a pirate copies data from one PC hard drive to another to illegally run the software on two PCs, Product Activation stops that by forcing the copied software to be reactivated. It does so by comparing the hardware on which it was activated to the hardware on which it is now being booted. If the hardware is substantially different, then reactivation is required. If it is the same or similar, then the software will continue to work. Those who upgrade their PC's hardware substantially may be asked to reactivate. Reactivation for this reason is easy and can be completed by contacting Microsoft to obtain another confirmation ID.
related article (old)
Windows group product manager Shawn Sanford has been telling journalists that when XP ships it'll be possible to change four pieces of hardware before reactivation is required, and that the frequency of changes will also be taken into account. So Microsoft will limit you to four changes within a given period (60 days, 90 days, six months - it's not set yet), and after that it'll reset, and you'll be allowed to make more changes.
Activation in a nutshell

If you do have to reactivate XP, it doesn't mean you have to buy another copy, but you'll have to call Microsoft and get the company to issue you another activation ID. The threat of constant reactivation provoked such a serious public furor that Microsoft lightened up considerably on its reactivation trigger, and now indicates that it may reset your "change counter" sometime after 30, 60, or 90 or more days of using the same hardware.
So that explains why you can re-activate normally after not using the software for a while (and not changing the hardware on which it's installed).

nick705

Post by nick705 » Tue Jul 11, 2006 8:15 am

jaganath wrote: Can you prove this? The validation of XP has always been tied to a "roll call" of components, namely....
A quick google brought up this: http://bink.nu/Article6247.bink (dated Feb 18th 2006)

"Microsoft recently made a change to the licence agreement saying that a new motherboard is equal to a new computer, hence you need to purchase a new Windows licence.

Here is what Microsoft has to say:

“An upgrade of the motherboard is considered to result in a “new personal computerâ€

nici

Post by nici » Tue Jul 11, 2006 8:28 am

jaganath wrote:
What are the 10 hardware characteristics used to determine the hardware hash?

The 10 hardware characteristics used to determine the hardware hash are: Display Adapter, SCSI Adapter, IDE Adapter, Network Adapter MAC Address, RAM Amount Range (i.e. 0-64mb, 64-128mb, etc), Processor Type, Processor Serial Number, Hard Drive Device, Hard Drive Volume Serial Number, CD-ROM/CD-RW/DVD-ROM.
http://www.microsoft.com/piracy/activation_faq.mspx
If more than 3 of the above are changed, re-activation is required. A new motherboard often triggers re-activation, because it can contain a Display Adapter, IDE adapter, SCSI Adapter and a Network Adapter, thus exceeding the changes limit.
That´s bullshit. At least two times i´ve had to re-activate just because i removed a stick or two of ram and nothing else!! Im sure Vista will require re-activation if you fart within five feet of the computer.

jaganath

Post by jaganath » Tue Jul 11, 2006 9:13 am

Im sure Vista will require re-activation if you fart within five feet of the computer.
:lol:

No doubt. That's why I'm sticking with XP, despite its flaws.

Gojira-X

Post by Gojira-X » Tue Jul 11, 2006 11:00 am

You can reactivate and keep the same licence.

Just say that "your hdd crashed and you are having to reinstall windows while your data is being recovered on to cdrs"

Microsoft can't argue with that (I think the cdrs bit is genius).

Steve_Y

Post by Steve_Y » Tue Jul 11, 2006 11:56 am

This kind of nonsense is one of the main reasons why I'm still using Windows 2000 pro, with no plans to "upgrade" to XP/Vista in the near future.