quiet microAtx Case/PSU recommendation? Ram as well

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

K9-Cop

quiet microAtx Case/PSU recommendation? Ram as well

Post by K9-Cop » Sat Jul 29, 2006 7:26 am

The system I'm building currently looks something like this:

amd athlon64 x2 3800+
Asus M2NPV-VM microAtx mobo
Western Digital 2500KS
Pioneer DVR-111D

I'm going to stick with integrated audio/video for now. The computer is being used for light multi-media and general use. That is, some image editing and some basic movie editing with a product along the lines of Jashaka or even Windows Movie Maker. However, by going with socket AM2 and a board with a pci-e 16x slot I'm leaving room for cpu/gpu upgrades in the future.

At any rate, it would be nice to have a quiet microAtx to fit this sucker into. Any suggestsions? I saw the NSK3300 on the main page, but I wonder if there's a better choice for a PSU? Especially if I intend to eventually upgrade with a new gpu.

Also, I don't really know much about ram. The build I believe is socket am2/ddr2, so I'm going to need ddr2 ram. Price is an issue in all of this so lets avoid the pricey enthusiast stuff.

Lastly, I don't intend to overclock one inch of this system so no need to worry about that. Nor do I intend to do much case modification, so please don't tell me about this case that would be perfect as long as I cut a slot out in the back and duct tape a number of the vents.

Thanks for the help!

autoboy

Post by autoboy » Sat Jul 29, 2006 9:36 am

Get the nsk3300. Best mATX case/power supply IMO. You can run any graphics in the system you want and the power supply can handle it. The only reason not to get the nsk3300 is if you want to use more than 1 optical drive and more than 2 hard drives. The power supply is quiet in normal operation and if you got a hot video card it would only ramp up during gameplay. It is especially good since you are new to this site and it does not require any special modifications.

Stacey Melissa

Post by Stacey Melissa » Sat Jul 29, 2006 2:37 pm

I love my CoolerMaster Centurion RC-540-SKN1, so I'm glad I bought an extra one to have on hand before they were discontinued. There's one with a different bezel still available, though.

With this case, you bring your own fullsize ATX power supply, your own 120 or 92mm intake fan, and your own pair of 80mm exhaust fans. I put a Seasonic S12 and Nexus fans all around in mine.

The interesting thing about the case is the reversed mobo layout, with CPU at the bottom, and card slots at the top. This makes wiring up the case surprisingly easy, and the wires can all be easily tucked out of the way.

There is no built-in soft mounting for the HHDs, but it's just a matter of stringing a couple of Stretch Magic loops through holes in the existing cage. Soft mounting more than one drive requies modding, though. I've modded mine to have three fully suspended drives in the bottom front corner.

It's more expensive with the components I selected, but my case will kick the NSK3300's ass any day. :)

duality
Friend of SPCR

Post by duality » Sun Jul 30, 2006 8:27 am

If you don't mind going the "desktop/media center" route, NSK2400 actually seems pretty nice. You can swap out the PSU on that thing to a Seasonic and such.

As for tower cases... I'm brain-dead and I'm using silenced eMachines case. I have nothing for you. :(

autoboy

Post by autoboy » Mon Jul 31, 2006 7:57 pm

It's more expensive with the components I selected, but my case will kick the NSK3300's ass any day.
I'd like to see you try. Hmm, no suspension, fan openings on the side panel, open front panel, needs new fans, BIGGER, no 80 plus power supply included. The NSK3300 could knock the Coolermaster out in 2 rounds.

Stacey Melissa

Post by Stacey Melissa » Mon Jul 31, 2006 9:33 pm

Oh, it's on now, buddy! :P

Open front panel? Yeah, on the RC-541 version. But I did find a couple places on Froogle, who are still selling the RC-540. It has an unperforated bezel except in front of the intake fan.

And no drive suspension, eh? What's this, then?

:)

I should note that I took these pics with the machine running, despite the fact that the fans don't appear to be spinning. The 120mm Nexus on the CPU runs at 650rpm to keep my overclocked X2 cool. One of the 80mm nexus exhuast fans runs at 1100, and the other at 700. The 92mm nexus intake is directly in front of the HHDs, and runs at 7 volts.

The openings on the side panel are wonderful for getting cool air directly to the CPU. Which means I can spin the CPU fan slower and still get good performance.

I don't care that my S12-430 power supply isn't 80plus certified. It's reasonably close, and it happens to be the standard by which actively-cooled power supplies are measured around here. But if 80plus is what you want, it's easy enough to put one in.

It's not perfect. I wish it had a 120mm fan in back, and I wish the drive suspension were built into an isolated HDD chamber. But otherwise, this is an excellent small, quiet case.

autoboy

Post by autoboy » Mon Jul 31, 2006 9:45 pm

Wow, nice drive suspension. :shock: I admit that your system is nice and is probably quiet despite the large number of fans and harddisks. There is no reason to think that the NSK3300 couldn't suport the same suspension and a fan swap would quiet the power supply down. The NSK3300 is a "out of the box" quiet case and that is where the case shines. Remember, not everyone has the ability or the time to modify their case.

Oh, and for the knockdown blow...Your power supply alone is more than the NSK3300. :D

K9-Cop

Post by K9-Cop » Tue Aug 01, 2006 3:24 pm

Hmmmm, well, now I'm not as sure. I love the NSK3300 but I don't like the fact it comes with the SFX PSU. I'd really like a normal ATX PSU. Those will be easier to find for less money if I ever need to replace them.

I think my next choice is the coolermaster centurio 541.
http://www.canadacomputers.com/index.ph ... 39be3e8026

What do you think of that one?

EDIT: ummm... duh! I just spent like 30 minutes going around to all sorts of sites trying to figure out the next best thing to the NSK3300 with a full-size ATX PSU and when I was done I pick the same one listed in this post, lol.

Stacey Melissa

Post by Stacey Melissa » Tue Aug 01, 2006 4:03 pm

If you can find the RC-540, it's a better one than the RC-541, because the RC-540 only has the mesh screen in front of the intake fan, rather than covering the whole front bezel.

Both of them come in multiple versions - one with a 380-watt power supply (of unknown quality), and one without a power supply. Also, there are microATX and microBTX versions, so be sure of what you're getting. I think all versions come without any fans.

And lastly, the drive suspension in the above pictures of my RC-540 is my own work. It did not come with the case. However, it is extremely easy to suspend a single drive by simply stringing up a couple of loops of Stretch Magic in the stock hard drive cage.

The only place I found that still has the RC-540 mATX without power supply is IPC Republic. Sundial Micro (which appears to be the same company) also has the version with the power supply.

On the flip side, it's not actually that hard or expensive to replace the SFX PSU in the NSK3300. Seasonic makes a decent model, which is apparently the same as what Antec includes in the NSK3300, according to the SPCR review of the case. That PSU, the SS-300SFD turned up a few hits at Froogle, and some of them were reasonably priced. This power supply certainly isn't in the same quiet league as the Seasonic S12 series, but it might be okay for a beginning SPCRer.

K9-Cop

Post by K9-Cop » Wed Aug 02, 2006 2:16 pm

Hmmm, the cooler master 540/541 seems to be hard to find. When I can see a website with them they are listed as completely out of stock.

I don't think I can get the NSK3300 though. If in a couple years I decide to upgrade with a video card, I'm not sure if the 300w PSU will cover it? And replacing the SFX with an ATX would be a challenge I'm not up for.

Any other suggestions on microATX cases with full-size atx psu's? I'm willing to forgo some of the quietness if necessary.

Update: Maybe the Ultra Micro-Fly?
http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/ ... =3&Recs=10

Stacey Melissa

Post by Stacey Melissa » Wed Aug 02, 2006 4:44 pm

A lot of people like the Aspire X-Qpack cases (which look to be a shorter version of the Micro-Fly), although with those, you're stuck with hard HDD mounting. Also, it just about has to be sitting on your desk, much closer to your ears than a floor-standing tower would be.

I dunno about the Micro-Fly, but the power supply and exhaust fan that comes with the X-Qpack are awful, so be prepared to immediately replace those.

With those caveats out of the way, I'd say the Micro-Fly would make a fine case.

It just occurred to me that no one has asked you whether you'd be willing to get a regular ATX case to put your components in. Micro-ATX mobos can fit in regular ATX cases, ya know. And that would greatly expand your case selection options.

autoboy

Post by autoboy » Wed Aug 02, 2006 8:11 pm

The nsk3300 power supply can handle 270W on the 12V rail. The hottest video cards today use 120W and the hottest processor uses 120W. Yeah, I can see how you can run out if you go crazy. If you want to go crazy then skip it.

K9-Cop

Post by K9-Cop » Thu Aug 03, 2006 4:52 pm

Yah, I guess if you figure feature processors at least will be using less power, and feature gpu's are about the same or a little more I'd be fine with the 300w. Plus you'd have to figure that SFX psu's will slowly become more powerful too.

Also, unlike the xq-pack, the microfly has a 400w psu made by Ultra which is supposed to be reliable enough.