How do U make PC start/turn on without going over to it

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

rhendrix9

How do U make PC start/turn on without going over to it

Post by rhendrix9 » Sat Jul 29, 2006 10:39 am

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have a shuttle sk43g that I just setup with a hauppauge and firefly remote, that I built as a HTPC. I can shut it down without getting up but how do I turn it on without getting up. It pumps out too much heat to leave it on all the time.
Any ideas?
Thanks

natethegreat

Post by natethegreat » Sat Jul 29, 2006 1:53 pm

Your bios seems to support a wake on ps/2 function, I am not sure if this will fully start a switched off computer or not.

geforce1

Post by geforce1 » Sat Jul 29, 2006 3:36 pm

In order for the Wake on Keyboard/Mouse/LAN/Ring, etc.... to work, the power supply must still be switched on. Even though the computer may appear to be off, the +5Vsb (standby) line is still active so that those "Wake on" events can turn the system back on without pressing the power button.

jeffmd

Post by jeffmd » Sat Jul 29, 2006 4:23 pm

Actually all motherboards maintain that low power line. It is used for things like wake-on lans, but also powering up via USB/PS2 mice/keyboards, as well as the main power switch wich is a contact on the mobo, not the power supply.

However I think you may need a special remote that would support such a feature, like one that emulates a keyboard for the sake of activating wake on keyboard computers.

You can also concievably combine a remote controled POWER switch, and configure your motherboard bios to start up the computer after a power loss.

josephclemente

Post by josephclemente » Sat Jul 29, 2006 5:41 pm

Newegg has a remote device, LOGISYS FP800SL or FP800BK which have remote ON/OFF and reset capabilities. A little expensive at $30 plus shipping though...

EDIT: Plus it uses a drive bay which you probably don't have enough room for in a Shuttle... Maybe it can be taken apart to use only it's remote feature?

Putz

Post by Putz » Sat Jul 29, 2006 6:01 pm

Clear your mind. Let the Force flow through you.

VultureJ

Wake On USB

Post by VultureJ » Tue Aug 01, 2006 8:51 am

I have a question here... I've been experimenting with the various motherboards that I own, because I'm in a similar situation - I have an HTPC (which doesn't support wakeup by anything apparently), and I'd like to learn how this stuff works before I invest in another motherboard (so I know what to look for).

How does Wake On USB work? I know that with Wake On Key (keyboard input) can either wait for a specified key or any key (depending on motherboard support), and Wake On LAN works by waiting for a specified packet, but what requirements are there for Wake On USB?

I tried hooking up an ATI Remote Wonder (a RF USB remote), did a shutdown (under Windows), and while I could use the keyboard to revive the system, the ATI Remote Wonder would not. I also tried Hibernate.

Of course, once I figure this stuff out, I'll have to totally relearn it for Linux, but since I already have Software Suspend2 working, I just need BIOS support. I will likely end up programming a button on my remote to mimic a key on my wireless IR keyboard, and start the system up that way.

-- Joe

stupid

Re: Wake On USB

Post by stupid » Thu Aug 03, 2006 11:34 am

VultureJ wrote: How does Wake On USB work? I know that with Wake On Key (keyboard input) can either wait for a specified key or any key (depending on motherboard support), and Wake On LAN works by waiting for a specified packet, but what requirements are there for Wake On USB?
How to Enable the Wake from Standby Option for a USB Mouse
By default, the Power Management feature of USB mouse devices is turned off. This setting is different from classic PS/2 computer functionality. Therefore, to enable the Wake from standby option, you must manually turn on the Power Management feature for the USB mouse.

To manually enable the Wake from standby option for the USB mouse, start Device Manager, right-click the USB mouse driver, click Properties, and then click to select the Allow this device to wake the system from standby check box.
I haven't tried this yet, but it is on my list of things to do.