File server, AKA numerous HDs

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Fmstrat

File server, AKA numerous HDs

Post by Fmstrat » Mon Sep 04, 2006 8:57 am

I've got a computer that I hate. It's loud, it hums, it makes every noise imaginable. It's probably the WORST PC to try to keep cool, much less quiet. So, I'm looking for advice. The system specs are:

P4 3ghz
1 gig RAM
4 (yes, 4) fanless video Capture cards
Radeon 8500LE (has a fan, may switch to 5200FX fanless)
3 ATA Hard Drives
2 SATA Hard Drives

As you can imagine, this thing is a space heater. I'm thinking I'm going to just build a 3/4" MDF enclosure, and use some sound dampening inside it. I'm looking for suggestions on structure. I.E. things like fan ducting, hard drive placement, PSU placement, etc. I've heard that simply building a "tunnel" with the fan at the end can get the fans away from the outside edges of the case quieting them down as well. I have a lot of quiet panaflow 80mm fans at my disposal for now.

I don't expect to get this heat monger silent. I would just like it to not sound like a boxfan to keep cool.

Thanks,
Ben

DanW

Post by DanW » Mon Sep 04, 2006 9:29 am

what kind of case have you got at the moment?

with that many HDDs a P180 may be the way to go, as it has enough softmounts for 6 HDDs.

What kind of CPU cooling have you got? As ever I'm going to recommend the scythe, but you may not be able to run it fanless.

You could also try a Thermalright Ultra-120

You'll probably be ok with a seasonic 430W in the lower chamber.

HTH,
Dan

ont

Post by ont » Mon Sep 04, 2006 1:27 pm

If you have enough money to spend, I'd suggest watercooling the hdd's. That way you could put them in a box that is totally sound-proof (or at least sound-proof enough :P ) without risking to overheat them! Should eleminate your biggest source of noise...

Tibors
Patron of SPCR

Post by Tibors » Mon Sep 04, 2006 2:46 pm

If you are building your own MDF enclosure and it is big enough, then putting your drives into alleycat's Homebrew drive enclosures will save you a lot of noise.

Longwalker

Post by Longwalker » Mon Sep 04, 2006 3:17 pm

What about replacing those 5 HDDs with two or three of Seagate's huge (500-750gb) drives? Fewer sources of noise = easier to damp.

Fmstrat

Post by Fmstrat » Tue Sep 05, 2006 12:28 pm

what kind of case have you got at the moment?
with that many HDDs a P180 may be the way to go, as it has enough softmounts for 6 HDDs.
What kind of CPU cooling have you got? As ever I'm going to recommend the scythe, but you may not be able to run it fanless.
You could also try a Thermalright Ultra-120
You'll probably be ok with a seasonic 430W in the lower chamber.
An old Antec currently. It resonates like you wouldn't beleive. All your options above seem great, but another reason i'm considering a DIY case is cost. I don't care if it's a painted black box under the desk, as long as it's functional.
If you have enough money to spend, I'd suggest watercooling the hdd's. That way you could put them in a box that is totally sound-proof (or at least sound-proof enough Razz ) without risking to overheat them! Should eleminate your biggest source of noise...
What about replacing those 5 HDDs with two or three of Seagate's huge (500-750gb) drives? Fewer sources of noise = easier to damp.
Again, unfortunatly, price is the issue here. Plus, the drives are seperated on purpose for mirroring reasons. 1 is a system drive, two are for Photography work (mirrored) and the other two are for other forms of media.

If you are building your own MDF enclosure and it is big enough, then putting your drives into alleycat's Homebrew drive enclosures will save you a lot of noise.
Now this idea I like. Are there any more details on this around, like, what exactly is a "coolpack"? I'm picturing something from the local drug store, or is it something for a cooler? Also, does the metal enclosure serve any cooling purpose, or would properly placed MDF "shelves" work?

*edit: Nevermind, got my answers on page 3 of the post. Previously missed them.*

Thanks!
Ben

Ayah

Post by Ayah » Tue Sep 05, 2006 5:18 pm

also, you can underclock that Northwood pretty nicely. It would also be possible to underclock the proccessor to reduce heat load.