New C2D Quiet Gaming HTPC: Please comment

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

cobalt

New C2D Quiet Gaming HTPC: Please comment

Post by cobalt » Sat Sep 09, 2006 5:30 pm

I've been thinking over my new build and have come up with something that should work pretty well together. Basically, a C2D system with a passively cooled video card in an Antec Solo case with an Antec NeoHE 430 PSU. I added a Zalman CPU HSF to move more air around the case.

CASE. Antec Solo
PSU. Antec NeoHE 430
CPU. Intel Core 2 Duo E6400
RAM. Corsair XMS2 2x1GB DDR2 800
MOBO. Asus P5W DH Deluxe
GPU. New XFX NVIDIA 7950GT 512MB DDR3, passively cooled, release date 9/14
OS. Windows XP MCE 2005
CPU FAN. Zalman CNPS9500 AT 2 Ball CPU Cooling Fan/Heatsink
HD. WD Caviar SE16 500GB
TV TUNER. Hauppauge WINTV-PVR 150 MCE
AUDIO. Bluegears b-Enspirer Ultimate PCI card

I have an optical drive lying around already.

I was considering a different PSU, but I like the NeoHE's modular cable system. But then I read about potential incompatibilities with Asus mobos...

I could use a suggestion for a remote control/IR receiver. I have a Logitech universal remote already.

This will be my second PC build and a major upgrade for me performance wise. Any comments (positive or critical) would be helpful. Or any suggestions for additional cooling ... fans, etc. Thanks a lot.

-c

Howard

Post by Howard » Sat Sep 09, 2006 9:57 pm

The 9500 can be a great cooler but it's not a great quiet cooler. The TR Ultra-120 or Scythe Ninja would be better suited for that task.

Do you plan on overclocking? Which features of the P5W DH Deluxe do you need that other mobos don't have?

_MarcoM_

Post by _MarcoM_ » Sat Sep 09, 2006 11:51 pm

Nice config, but i prefer another power supply. Wanna see photos, i'm curios about solo+zalman+p5w :wink:

cobalt

Post by cobalt » Sun Sep 10, 2006 12:45 am

I'm choosing the Asus P5W primarily because I need a mobo that is C2D ready off the shelf, not one requiring a BIOS update. I've never overclocked before, but I'll probably try a modest one, given how overclockable the Conroe CPU is. And I was thinking the WiFi AP would be handy when I move this computer to the HDTV. But actually, one of the big selling points is that it supports driverless RAID, so I can finally not deal with the floppy drive. In this build, I'm only using one hard drive, but I think I may add another and use RAID 1 if and when this picks up more HTPC duties. With this mobo and the Antec Solo, I can eventually have two optical drives and two hard drive enclosures in the 4x5.25" drive bays.

But otherwise, this mobo is not exactly the right fit and is certainly pricey. It is not SLI, and when it is run in Crossfire mode, the two PCI-Ex16 slots switch to x8. Besides that, I'm kind of stuck on NVIDIA (I have a stereovision head mounted display, and only NVIDIA has stereovision drivers), so it doesn't make much sense to get a Crossfire ready board. However, I've decided to stick with the single GPU for the time being and probably indefinitely. I keep reading about how people buy one video card and think they will add another later (which is exactly what I would think), but it doesn't work out that way because their GPU has been phased out, etc. I don't really need to be on the cutting edge, I just want a sensible upgrade path. (I've been using an AGP NVIDIA 6600GT and an Athlon XP 2500+ system for two years now and have been holding off on upgrading until now.)

I would be interested in hearing about other mobo options than the Asus P5W DH Deluxe.

Thanks for the recommendation on the CPU HSF. I hope they fit in the case.*

MacroM, which power supply would you prefer? I could lose the NeoHE's component cable system for a superior PSU. Also, I think my peak power draw will be closer to 300 watts, even with OC'ing. I kind of was thinking about a fanless PSU or a Nexus Silent PSU, but I don't really know how the case design works.... I want to generate good airflow in the case because of the passively cooled video card, but does the PSU contribute much to the airflow in the Antec Solo?

I'll take pics when I get everything and build it. 8) Thanks again....

EDIT: *I see the Scythe Ninja fits in the Solo:
http://forums.silentpcreview.com/viewtopic.php?t=32599
But now I'm concerned about the rear grill on the Solo...

moritz

Post by moritz » Sun Sep 10, 2006 3:39 am

If you aren't set on getting an SLI-capable board, get either a ASUS P5W (ie non-deluxe) or a Gigabyte 965P-S3 or 965P-DS3. Much cheaper though still somewhat pricey, they seem to be capable boards.

cobalt

Post by cobalt » Sun Sep 10, 2006 4:14 am

I'll check those out...
Is there any chance that NVIDIA will allow SLI on an Intel whatever it is and that SLI will be enabled?

Thanks for the reccomendations...

EDIT.
I don't really get this: why are there boards with multiple PCI-E x16 slots that don't seem to support either SLI or Crossfire? What's up with all these PCI-E x8, x4, and x1 slots too? Evidently, I seem to have missed something.

The list of mobo's that support C2D in the newegg database has been updated recently... The Asus P5B looks reasonable for my needs, as do the two Gigabyte boards you mentioned (minus wifi).

_MarcoM_

Post by _MarcoM_ » Sun Sep 10, 2006 4:33 am

cobalt wrote:I'll check those out...
Is there any chance that NVIDIA will allow SLI on an Intel whatever it is and that SLI will be enabled?

Thanks for the reccomendations...
I think it's possible to use SLI on a P5W DH Deluxe, pheraps with hacked drivers, or in a near future with the AMD+ATI danger :roll:

For the power supply i prefer Enermax: it's not the first choice of the SPCR people, but i love the noisetaker and liberty series :wink:

I agree with you: the driverless controller on the P5W DH Deluxe is very useful, in a month or two i will buy the same motherboard for an Antec P150, same zalman 9500 of you. I'm searching for benchmark regard the controller, but there isn't interesting material. I would like to see at least an hdtach; if you can, please do a bench for me :mrgreen:

cobalt

Post by cobalt » Sun Sep 10, 2006 5:15 am

I think I might go with the Asus P5B Deluxe mobo. I was tempted by the Asus P5N SLI ready mobo (which I hadn't previously seen), but if this system can do HD video at 1080i as built, then it will end up in my home theater set up and probably not upgraded beyond that. I've got to stay focused.

I 'm also going to try out the onboard HD audio, and see how I like it, and swap out the Zalman VGA fan for the Scythe Ninja HSF.

CASE. Antec Solo
PSU. Antec NeoHE 430
CPU. Intel Core 2 Duo E6400
RAM. Corsair XMS2 2x1GB DDR2 800
MOBO. Asus P5B Deluxe
GPU. New XFX NVIDIA 7950GT 512MB DDR3, passively cooled, release date 9/14
OS. Windows XP MCE 2005
CPU FAN. Scythe Ninja HS+Fan
HD. WD Caviar SE16 500GB
TV TUNER. Hauppauge WINTV-PVR 150 MCE

I really should think about a lower power PSU, I think. I'm not very saavy with the numbers though. I'd welcome any additional thoughts.... Thanks so much for the input.

Edit: Question: is it relatively straightforward to add a RAID 1 to the boot drive? Or is it easier to re-install the OS to set up a mirrored boot drive?

MarcusAurelius

Post by MarcusAurelius » Sun Sep 10, 2006 12:47 pm

Nice to see someone designing a machine similiar to me; Here is what I went with...

P180B Case
S12-500 Seasonic Power Supply
E6600 Core 2 Duo Processor
2 x 1 GB G.Skill Memory DDR2 800 (PHU2)
P5W DH Deluxe
X1900XTX Video Card
-Zalman VF900 to replace stock fan (much quieter and efficient)
Lite-On DVD-RW (165PS ?) Not sure model at this time

I love the video card selection (especially that it is passively cooled (no sound!)) I went with my video card selection because it was the best I could find and I did not want to compromise sound/performance. I had my eyes on the Asus EN7600GT Silent which is also a passively cooled unit and from my research was th best card I could get passively cooled right out of the box (untill your selection). I was sooooo soooo close to purchasing the HIS X1900XTX IceQ3 but decided to go the slightly cheaper route and get an MSI (yeah, that's rigth I got the rebate ! : ) )

If I were you, I would get an S12 Power supply, other than that, it should be a quiet gaming HTPC Rig. You have also selected a great smaller case which is probably more ideal for something you would like in the living room; Mine is in the basement so I don't care really how it looks.

Good Luck on your new build! :)

stromgald

Post by stromgald » Mon Sep 11, 2006 10:39 am

cobalt wrote:I really should think about a lower power PSU, I think. I'm not very saavy with the numbers though. I'd welcome any additional thoughts.... Thanks so much for the input.
A 300W PSU would be sufficient for your setup. I'd think aobut getting a Seasonic S12 330W or 380W PSU if its economical. The only problem with the 330W version is that it has smaller internal heatsinks. A Seasonic S12 380W should be slightly quieter than the Antec NeoHE 430W.

cobalt

Post by cobalt » Mon Sep 11, 2006 11:08 am

Thanks for the recommendations, but I've already ordered everything (except the video card). I will probably use the Antec NeoHE to start and maybe swap out the power supply for more quiet operation later.

I'll post something when I get the thing built. I hope that video card comes out soon.

chrono

Post by chrono » Mon Sep 11, 2006 11:11 am

Howard wrote:The 9500 can be a great cooler but it's not a great quiet cooler. The TR Ultra-120 or Scythe Ninja would be better suited for that task.
What kind of difference is there between a Ninja + nexus 120 fan vs Zalman 9500 on lowest setting?

Is there a noticably big diffence in noise level? I have some kind of zalman heatsync in my current setup (i forget which, it says in my sig). and on the lowest setting of the fanmate is barely audible at all.. so I was thinking the 9500 would be pretty similar?

I am also debating between the two for my new computer build, and the zalman is easier (and cheaper) to get for me. And since I've had a good experience with my current cpu heatsync (which runs the p4 2.6c at 28 degrees idle with the zalman on low) I'm leaning towards the zalman.