Case for silent SFF: Silverstone SG01? Antec NSK1300?

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

pbecker

Case for silent SFF: Silverstone SG01? Antec NSK1300?

Post by pbecker » Thu Sep 28, 2006 1:42 am

Hi guys,

I have long endured the annoying noise level from my Shuttle SN41G2 SFF system, and have finally decided to take the plunge into the realm of silent computing :) I would like to build a new SFF system based on a Core 2 Duo E6600 and an ASUS-made GeForce 7600GS with a small passive heatsink.

Through my research, I have singled out two potential candidates for a case to base this on: Silverstone's SG01 (e.g. with a Seasonic S12 430W PSU) and Antec's NSK1300. My question is: which of these would be ideal (other ideas are most welcome as well!), considering that I want the system to be inaudible from below my desk :)

I know it might be a tall order (and obviously it will also, to a large extent, depend on what other hardware I stick in there), but any input and advice you may have would be greatly appreciated :) If you need more info, please don't hesitate to ask...

Thanks beforehand!

DanW

Post by DanW » Thu Sep 28, 2006 7:27 am

quick question. Do you need an E6600? Maybe something a little slower and cheeper would be easier to cool quieter. I presume it's not going to be a work horese/gaming machine? Otherwise I would suggest something a little bigger.

digitalfeed

Post by digitalfeed » Thu Sep 28, 2006 8:20 am

I probably wouldn't go with the NSK1300 because cooling isn't very effecient in this case.

I've got the NSK1300 with a pentium D but I had to make a few modifications to help with the airflow.

I'm not sure how bad it would be since the C2D are better with the heat but if you don't want to do any cutting to the case, avoid the NSK1300.

pbecker

Post by pbecker » Thu Sep 28, 2006 10:29 pm

The most taxing thing I'll be doing with the computer is to play World of Warcraft from time to time, so I should be able to settle for a slower C2D if need be :) But isn't their TDP basically the same?