Guts of a file server / host machine?

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Meato

Guts of a file server / host machine?

Post by Meato » Thu Nov 16, 2006 7:47 pm

I could use some help/suggestions on the motherboard, processor, and software I would like to use for my upcoming Fileserver build. The machine will be housed in an out-of-the-way spot such as a bedroom/linen closet upstairs. Dealing with noise won't be much of a problem, but I'm sure heat will to some extent. The machine will be built in a re-used Enlight mid-tower case with Antec SP2.0 450watt PSU, also re-used.

I would like this to be a 24/7 machine running Ubuntu Linux, or possibly some other flavor. Its duties would be; File serving 2 or 3 Windows boxes (via FTP?), Print serving for said boxes, and acting as a host machine for 3 workstations. I intend to try out this NComputing X300 3 User Expansion Kit. Has anyone used one of these? It seems like an excellent way to add workstations without adding noise, excessive energy consumption, cost of 3 stand alone computers, and most importantly for myself: upkeep of 3 more computers. Obviously, the 3 client stations would be running Ubuntu from the host. Great! They would only be used for web browsing, email, open office, and music listening.

Okay, so the limitations. (1)Must be able to use DDR400 memory. I have 3gb of it from various parts machines not in use and don't wish to rebuy that much DDR2. (2)Must have integrated video, sound, gigabit networking, and DVI would be a plus. (3)Cool, energy efficient operation.

I think this motherboard is the perfect solution..
Gigabyte nVidia business platform

4x DDR400 slots (4GB max)
4x SATA2 inputs = expandable storage
6150 integrated gfx
audio
gigabit LAN
DVI

I'd like to pair it with this processor..
AMD Opteron 144

plenty of power I think
good amount of cache
runs cool OC'd, so I assume extremely cool @ stock + undervolted

Is it overkill for simple serving? Sure. However, I think running the 3 workstations off it along with its regular duties will require more processing power. I do plan to load it with 3 - 4GB of DDR400 as well.

I could use your help with the above and also on software. Linux FTP server hosting? Print serving application? Also, how should I format the "media" portion of the hard drive(s).. FAT32, NTFS, Linux?

Many thanks in advance.

steef

Post by steef » Fri Nov 17, 2006 12:51 am

Your idea is quite innovative. The weak spot seems to be the combination of client functionality with server functionality. Your idea poses many risks for the data through the terminal sessions running client activities on the server (damaging files and settings).

It seems better to me to get an old server and hide it somewhere as a file and print server (running FreeNas or Clarkconnect for example). For the Ncomputing X300 terminals you can build a new machine using the memory you already have. Given the multi-task load you are generating, you need a multicore processor (or a multi-processor machine) and a fast storage subsystem.

orihara

Post by orihara » Fri Nov 17, 2006 9:49 am

If he uses virtual machines for the clients to actually be using, there shouldn't be a problem with corrupting the server's files and settings. Slightly more overhead, but given what it's going to be used for, that shouldn't matter too much.

steef

Post by steef » Fri Nov 17, 2006 10:59 am

The product (Ncomputing) seems a terminal service to me, not a virtual machine. Just my 2 cts however after experimenting on a dual xeon.

kentc
Friend of SPCR

Post by kentc » Fri Nov 17, 2006 2:41 pm

that's an excellent idea you've got there. actually i'd say the computer industry is constantly shifting between one workstation one user and terminal services/central computing. they both have their pros and cons but for office tasks, web, photoshop and alike central computing is an excellent solution!

the clients won't actually run their own ubuntu though, without researching the ncomp-thingy much i'd say they run a basic terminal i/o kind of an os, not actually executing any code apart from the basic rom.

maybe thin clients are an alternative? i've had some 10-15 years of experience with windows and x clients. you can't go wrong for stability and compatability!

regarding file system on linux you really should get on a good linux forum. there are a huge number of filesystems available for unix these days. ask the pros about that one! also ask more about ubuntu, make sure you turn of any unneeded services to save cpu cycles and system resources. unix is no more difficult then windows to administer but there are many more neglected windows-servers out there because of peoples perception of windows as low maintenance. nothing could be further from the truth...

a couple of things though:
make sure that ncomputing-thingy is compatible with the os you wanna run
get a multicore cpu, costs a little bit more - will give so much more bang!
get a really fast i/o-system. spend the $300 or whatever it is on a really good adaptec processor-and-memory-on-board-pci-express kind of controller! you'll thank me later...
for fileserver duties go samba
get a decent switch that has very low latency or latency will be annoying. huge througput isn't everything when it comes to networks...

hope i've made myself understod, i have a big exam in a week and study 12h/day right now - heads in a mist of law...

good luck!!

Meato

Post by Meato » Fri Nov 17, 2006 5:42 pm

Check out this demo/presentaion of the x300 product from the CEO. Very impressive. Just found it, or I would have posted this with the original thread. That doesn't appear to be consoles. It looks alot like virtual machines, complete with independant desktops.

EDIT: Many thanks for your comments, esp. Kentc! The only part I didn't quite catch was this;
kentc wrote:Get a really fast i/o-system. spend the $300 or whatever it is on a really good adaptec processor-and-memory-on-board-pci-express kind of controller! you'll thank me later...

elec999

Post by elec999 » Fri Nov 17, 2006 6:58 pm

Anyone using this product. And how is it.
Thanks

kentc
Friend of SPCR

Post by kentc » Sat Nov 18, 2006 1:02 am

Meato wrote:EDIT: Many thanks for your comments, esp. Kentc! The only part I didn't quite catch was this;
kentc wrote:Get a really fast i/o-system. spend the $300 or whatever it is on a really good adaptec processor-and-memory-on-board-pci-express kind of controller! you'll thank me later...
my bad. i mean something like this
http://www.adaptec.com/en-US/products/s ... AR-2420SA/
or this
http://www.3ware.com/products/serial_ata9000.asp

your harddrives will be hard pushed to perform on their own. a good raid controller will give you better data integrity and much higher speeds.

i'll check the presentation tonight when i have more time, the product's made me curious :)