P180 + C2D E6600 sanity check (+ references)

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

sjoukew

Post by sjoukew » Fri Apr 06, 2007 4:55 am

Here is a list of many Graphic Cards available at the moment comparable to each other in many games, the TomsHardware VGA Charts.
The 8800GTS is almost the fastest card available, and probably also one of the most expensive ones, one of the most consuming ones and one of the hottest. If you don't often play games, maybe you are better of with a cheaper, less hot, less power consuming card. Unless you want to play your games on the native resolution of you big dell screen, then an 8800GTX SLI is probably justified.

Luud

Post by Luud » Wed Apr 11, 2007 3:49 am

Thanks for pushing me in the right direction

It seems I can stick with the original setup, provided I make at least a choice for the EN7600GT version of the graphics card.

If I stay with ASUS on the P5W or P5B then the logical choice for me would be the Asus EN7600GT Silent/2DHT/256M/A Videocard which is reported to have two dual-link DVI outputs (see this review).

If I would go for the MSI P6N Diamond motherboard, based on the nVidia chipset, this could be a logical choice: NX7950GT-VT2D512EZ-HD (although I'm not 100% sure this is a fanless offer but I think it is according to this review).

sjoukew

Post by sjoukew » Wed Apr 11, 2007 10:23 am

As far as I know the asus EN7600GT works with the MSI Mainboard. I can't think of 1 reason why it shouldn't work.
And as far as I can see, the asus / Intel motherboards are running linux as nice as the nVidia ones, but I am not a linux guru. The motherboard chipset from Intel works, no question about that, Intel is the standard, it always works. I have seen the JMicron website and they do claim linux support for several distributions.
Looking further I found a linux compatability test for the asus p5b and the asus p5w dh deluxe on linux-tested.com. This looks like an indication that the linux support is fine for those boards.

Luud

Post by Luud » Wed Apr 11, 2007 1:03 pm

The main reasons to consider the MSI offerings are:

Motherboard:
- allows for more RAM (up to 16GB)
- has a (probably) better sound system
- is SLI capable
Accepted, two of those are just options to keep open, not necessarily needed now.

Graphics card:
- Faster
- More memory
- Still fanless (and no strange rotating heatsink)

I've seen the links you posted on the P5B and P5W, but I also read some reports of people having issues with getting the network (incl. wifi) and SATA parts of the motherboard to run nicely. Progress on that is made in the kernel though.

I like to keep brand on brand if possible, but I know this is not necessary.

eugenius

Post by eugenius » Wed Apr 11, 2007 5:56 pm

the fastest fanless card is this:

http://www.xfxforce.com/web/product/lis ... nId=695916

but you could get a 8800gtx or a 8800gts and slap a thermalright HR03 PLUS on it.

If you are going to overclock to a high fsb, you need the thermalright HR05 fanless northbridge cooler, or a motherboard with an elaborate heatpipe system, like the asus p5b deluxe (the non wifi variant, get a wifi router with 802.11n and forget about the asus onboard wifi .. :D)

The Intel P965 is still the best mid range chipset for Intel.

I would choose the DFI Infinity P965-S with a TR HR05 on it ... :)

Neil

Post by Neil » Thu Apr 12, 2007 7:22 am

eugenius wrote:The Intel P965 is still the best mid range chipset for Intel.

I would choose the DFI Infinity P965-S with a TR HR05 on it ... :)
Hi all, never posted here before. I'm very appreciative of all knowledge dipsensed here, etc. I'm also a novice building my first system.

I'm impressed with Luud's proposed system, and some of his requirements/priorities are similar to my own (Linux compatibility, no interest in gaming, interest in oversized displays, generally mid-to-high level performance for a non-gamer system).

Question re: motherboards. Luud changed his mind on the mobo because, as I understand it, he wanted support for two graphics cards in anticipation of two 30" LCDs.

For my own project, I foresee one 24" LCD (hopefully!). Luud, I'm wondering if that were the case for you, would you stick with your original choice, the Asus P5W DH Deluxe?

Re: the DFI Infinity P965-S, I see it's both hard to get right now and extremely coveted by overclocking enthusiasts. If anyone can chime in on it's advantages over the Asus P5W or the MSI P6N Diamond, I'd love to read your comments.

I'd like my motherboard to be able to support, I don't know, 4-5 hard drives possibly (I'm archiving my music in FLAC format, may use this PC as a Slimserver at times). Luud's system also has more RAM than I'd use (now), but who knows what I'll need in the future. I'd like the possibility of 4GB on the Mobo.

Otherwise, I'm just interested in running multiple 2-D programs including Photoshop simultaneously.

Thanks again to all who take the time to post their research and opinions.

Cheers,

Neil
Raleigh, NC

russsss

Post by russsss » Thu Apr 12, 2007 12:35 pm

I would stay clear of nVidia chipsets personally for C2D - I've owned an Asus P5W DH (975X), Abit AW9D-MAX (975X), Asus Commando (965), eVGA (nVidia 680i), Asus P5N32E-SLI (680i) - the 680's ran stupidly hot on the chipset (too hot to touch) and the eVGA even with the "hotfix" BIOS update had the SATA/mouse issues which plague(d) the 680i - both were RMA'd within days. The Asus Commando consumed more power than the P5W DH and overclocked no better (with my E6600 and OCZ RAM) and that was RMA'd too! I settled on a P5W-DH which runs an E4300 at 3GHz @ stock voltage for my Media Centre machine, and the AW9D-MAX which runs an E6600 @ 3.2GHz @ 1.35v for my games machine. The 975X chipsets run cool which obviously is a good idea for silent/low airflow.

I WAS a big nVidia fan having nForce 2/nForce 150&250/nForce 4 boards in the past, but the 680i is a dog, in both designed by nVidia (eVGA) and designed by Asus (P5N32E-SLI) formats! Given the choice the Abit just pips the P5W DH in my opinion (mainly because of better BIOS and more flexible SATA config).....

Luud

The result

Post by Luud » Mon Mar 03, 2008 11:32 am

For those wanting to know what the end result of this is, you can look here:

Thank you! (AKA: how I build my new quiet computer)