Advice needed on new DAW!

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Neizen

Advice needed on new DAW!

Post by Neizen » Sat Jan 06, 2007 3:03 pm

I’m currently looking at putting a new Digital Audio Workstation (DAW) together for my home studio, which I’ll also be using in a multi-boot format for other home use (i.e. gaming and general multimedia). I ultimately want a system that’s as quiet as possible for late night vocal recording in a residential area, and that runs cool as I live in Australia and the temperature here can easily reach 32C in summer.

Im looking at stability, quietness, performance and cost in that order.

The specs I’m looking at are:

CPU: Intel E6600 Core 2 Duo 2.4Ghz (Mild overclocking)
Heatsink: Thermalright Ultra 120
Mobo: Asus P5W DH Deluxe
RAM: 2GB DDR2 PC6400
Hard Drive: 2x Samsung 400GB (HD401LJ) (16MB Cache)
Graphics: XFX GeForce 7950 GT 512MB ExTreme (Passive)
Case: Antec P180B
PSU: Antec Neo HE 2.2 430W
Zalman 460W ZM460-APS
Corsair HX520W
Case Fans: Nexus Real Silent 120mm Fans/ Siliceous Sheets
Soundcard: RME Multiface (PCI)
Monitor: BenQ FP241W

The main questions I need answered are:
1. How many fans should I run? And, can I afford to undervolt them
safely?
2. Can I run the heatsink fanless?
3. PSU Recommendations? I’m guessing that the system will run at
about 300-400w, but the Corsair HX520w seems to be quietest
under that load, so I’m leaning towards it despite the overkill in
power. Is this a good idea or is there something I’m missing?
4. With these specs, what would be the loudest component in the
system and is it worth taking any further action towards silencing?
5. Any other advice or suggestions (greatly appreciated)?

Thanks guys this has got to be one of the best forums ive found :)

orangecomptone

I am building almost Identical sysytem,I have RME multiface

Post by orangecomptone » Mon Jan 08, 2007 3:49 pm

WOW,I am building almost Identical Syytem.I am ordering parts today and tomorrow.Glad I saw your post.I have been trying too figure out which ASUS mobo too go with for about 2 weeks now,and have decided on this one also.Have you heard any RME news on compatibility?What programs and task will you be doing.Your power supply sounds good,for now and future cpu updates,I wanted too use my old 20 pin thermaltake 420,but I dont think it will fit this board,I am worried my Rme soundcard will need to be updated,(something about firewire 400 vs firewire800)Maybe I dont need to worrie since it is a pci card.Any info or questions regarding this sysytem for DAW,please advise.I will be building this soon with help of pro,and pro forums.People are having great success with p5b deluxe for DAW,I wanted more options,and newer board without topping out with the p5w64.Any Suggestions or core 2 duoDAW build info and your opinions welcome,Good Luck

orangecomptone

Fanspeed DAW ASUS

Post by orangecomptone » Mon Jan 08, 2007 3:57 pm

I was so exited too see your post,I forgot too read all questions.I am not a pro computer builder in any way ,shape or ,form.I do know thru research that ALOT of people are successfully running the large fans at slower (quiet)speeds and still getting more than enough air pushed.I am wondering If the stock fan on this board will disperse enough heat on the cpu,I am not too concerned about quiet of cpu fan,mainly concerned about stock fan heat dissapation,Good luck with your build,I am goin too use 3 case fans,and will only have 2 or 3 harddrives.My program drive will be 74 gig 10,000 sata2,and 200 gig storage 7200 drive,What Ram did you pick,and how much?Thanks :o

puscifer

Post by puscifer » Mon Jan 08, 2007 7:42 pm

I have a P180 and the Corsair HX520W and its running my Athlon nice and cool. I also swapped the fans for noctua 800rpms and plan to undervolt when i move to a capable conroe board, if the ninja i have allows it. The gfx card i chose will have a great influence in heat so i'll probably just go with XFX 7600GT Fatal1ty (passive also).
Adressing your questions, if you can afford 4 fans, i'll go with 4 undervolted. I'm hoping the top and back one's will take care of the ninja, along with one in the hdd cage, although i'll have to take out my current 2xmaxtor which is a shame cuz they cooled better on top.
The noisiest component in these situations, if you're running a daw, will most likely be the 2 samsungs. Thats why i'm gettin a WD 5000YS (500GB RE2), since they run cool and silent and for now i wont be needing raid.
I'm planning on building one myself, once i get the cash for a soundcard. The RME sounds good although i admit i still dont know much in that area.
If you really need the NEC now, by all means go for it. It's the nicest 24'' around (the ones without the early scaling 1:1 mapping bug), although i'm hoping Samsungs 245T coming out in early march will have considerable better colors, less ghosting and same features.
Hope this helps and good luck with your late night recordings. Wish my apartment allowed it.

orangecomptone

P180

Post by orangecomptone » Tue Jan 09, 2007 6:31 pm

Does the p180 have fin type port on rear back,I will have too look that up.I decided on an antec server case w 500PSU.the server,bulkier yes,coolers yes,how quiet,I will know in a week.I did order a 10000 raptor that I am sure will make some noise also.I like too record gorilla style in evry room anyway,you know,run the mic in the bathroom,good tub reverb,fill tub halfway for more verb,I try too stay away from PC while recording(not always easy).Mixing ,I mix loud ,or with headphones.If you can run a vacuum and still hear all great areas of your mix,then you know its a good mix.HeHee.I will keep ya posted on my fans,build etc..