Hey Guys

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Tainek

Hey Guys

Post by Tainek » Tue Mar 06, 2007 3:21 pm

Hey, long time reader, first time poster :)

Could use some expert advice :)

Im looking at building a new pc come mid april, with a budget of £700-£1000

So far im looking at:

PSU:Antec Phantom 500 (Fan should only kick in when gaming, and thus not be a problem idle, right? :S)

Ram: 2*1Gb Micron Major 800Mhz

CPU: Sythe Ninja + a 6600 , Planning to OC to 3GHz Ish, i dont mind a little less

GPU: Looking at an 8 Series card, Possibly an 8800GTX+HR-03 PLUS Heatsink

Hard Drives: Not decided on yet, i'd like 2*250G Sata in Raid

Motherboard:Asus P5N-E SLI NF650i

Case: P180

Thats the setup i have in mind atm, I'd love to get it running with Just 2 Fans Idle (3 inc PSU load), but i cant think of a way to get airflow over the GPU>CPU and mobo

In my current case this setup, with everything passive, one 80mm fan blowing down on the mobo, and one sucking from behind the CPU, but the P180 doesnt have a side slot >.<

With an 8 Series and a 6600@3Ghz , i know this system will need some hefty airflow

any ideas? :)

ty

NeilBlanchard

Post by NeilBlanchard » Tue Mar 06, 2007 6:31 pm

Welcome to SPCR!

I'll have to defer to those who have used the P180 to answer your questions -- any takers?

aegan

Post by aegan » Tue Mar 06, 2007 8:48 pm

this is the setup I have -

since the 8800gts/gtx is kind of long, it more or less separates your upper chamber into two. the upper half is taken care of since both the CPU and the exhaust fan are located near the top. i have a nexus 120mm for exhaust and an Antec TriCool on medium with a SI-128 (scythe products not available in hong kong + don't want to mess with the backplate of the DQ6).

so i took out the upper chamber drive cage and mounted a fan there (120mm antec tricool on low), and it blows from front to back, parallel to the 8800gts and exits through the pci slot vents.

as for the bottom chamber - the holes around the PSU (corsair 520w) are sealed tight, so the PSU pulls air from the front, through my 3 harddrives and exits through the back.

my E6300 is currently OC'd to 2.8ghz, and my idle temps are in the low 30s (celsius), and mid-40s when running orthos/superpi.

so that's 4 fans...nexus @ 12v, 2 antec tri-cools (low/5v in front, medium/7v over cpu/mosfets), and PSU. and it's pretty quiet too - save for the occasional hdd seek noise, which does not bother me at all. i can barely hear anything over music anyway.

- bernard

Tainek

Post by Tainek » Wed Mar 07, 2007 4:22 am

aegan wrote:this is the setup I have -

since the 8800gts/gtx is kind of long, it more or less separates your upper chamber into two. the upper half is taken care of since both the CPU and the exhaust fan are located near the top. i have a nexus 120mm for exhaust and an Antec TriCool on medium with a SI-128 (scythe products not available in hong kong + don't want to mess with the backplate of the DQ6).

so i took out the upper chamber drive cage and mounted a fan there (120mm antec tricool on low), and it blows from front to back, parallel to the 8800gts and exits through the pci slot vents.

as for the bottom chamber - the holes around the PSU (corsair 520w) are sealed tight, so the PSU pulls air from the front, through my 3 harddrives and exits through the back.

my E6300 is currently OC'd to 2.8ghz, and my idle temps are in the low 30s (celsius), and mid-40s when running orthos/superpi.

so that's 4 fans...nexus @ 12v, 2 antec tri-cools (low/5v in front, medium/7v over cpu/mosfets), and PSU. and it's pretty quiet too - save for the occasional hdd seek noise, which does not bother me at all. i can barely hear anything over music anyway.

- bernard
TY for the reply's

ok so the temps are ok, what is the case like for transportation, is it LAN party freindly? :) (Mind , im almost always the host, so its not a huge issue)

on a side note, anybody know a website that reviews speakers?

aegan

Post by aegan » Wed Mar 07, 2007 7:59 am

i wouldn't say it's lan-party friendly...kind of big for that purpose. Shuttles, on the other hand...are just plain awesome.

ronrem

Post by ronrem » Wed Mar 07, 2007 10:45 am

Combining an 8800 vid card and a pretty heavy OC may make the 180 case a bit restrictive. I'd say you're a good candidate for a setup using a big 200 mm or 220 side fan. Felger Carbon and Bluefront,have both done projects-though they were going for real silence more than taming a hot rod game rig. Where the big fan works well,is when there's a whole lot of heat in the box,in addition to the CPU. Antec is going to have a neat-but big $ case with a 200 mm 3 speed Tricool...but on their site-you can by the naked fan.

Felger used a Aerocool Dominator with the 140 mm fan removed. The new Coolermaster Gemini is another option,also huge,but with more heatpipes.. Since he was doing a 2800 Sempron, he had his 220 mm undervolted to 300 rpm,and otherwise just a slow fan for the HD's, In your situation, you don't want to undervolt. May want to have a rear exhaust to get the heat out.

Tainek

Post by Tainek » Wed Mar 07, 2007 11:53 am

ronrem wrote:Combining an 8800 vid card and a pretty heavy OC may make the 180 case a bit restrictive. I'd say you're a good candidate for a setup using a big 200 mm or 220 side fan. Felger Carbon and Bluefront,have both done projects-though they were going for real silence more than taming a hot rod game rig. Where the big fan works well,is when there's a whole lot of heat in the box,in addition to the CPU. Antec is going to have a neat-but big $ case with a 200 mm 3 speed Tricool...but on their site-you can by the naked fan.

Felger used a Aerocool Dominator with the 140 mm fan removed. The new Coolermaster Gemini is another option,also huge,but with more heatpipes.. Since he was doing a 2800 Sempron, he had his 220 mm undervolted to 300 rpm,and otherwise just a slow fan for the HD's, In your situation, you don't want to undervolt. May want to have a rear exhaust to get the heat out.
heh, i considered a 200mm+ Fan for a while, but the only reviews for cases for them tend to be lacking in the silence testing :?

The P190 looks fantastic, i wonder what the ETA is for it :)

if its too long, i might consider DIY putting one into a P180 :P

pyogenes

Post by pyogenes » Wed Mar 07, 2007 5:53 pm

Tainek wrote:ok so the temps are ok, what is the case like for transportation, is it LAN party freindly? :) (Mind , im almost always the host, so its not a huge issue)
It's a somewhat big and considerably heavier than aluminum cases, but I'm of the opinion that when the case becomes too heavy for me to move, it's time to stop gaming and hit the gym. ;-)