CPU Temperature and Chassis Fan & ASUS P5B

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

keepoffthegrass

CPU Temperature and Chassis Fan & ASUS P5B

Post by keepoffthegrass » Sun Mar 25, 2007 2:52 am

I have a Dual Core Intel 6400 running on a Asus P5B motherboard

I'm using the Asus PC Probe 2 and have found that my CPU temperature regulary exceeds 60 degrees C. Is this too hot??

Is this okay? I havent overclocked the procssor.

I only started measuring the temperatures after my machgine crashed (not a windows crash) and asked me to set the reset the factory overclocking settings when I restarted the machine. I hadnt overclocked the processor or changed anythig, although I had just installed another card (a Firewire PCI card).

I noticed in the manual to the mother board that I should attach the Chassis fan to a particular socket on the motherboard. The fan that came with the case doesnt have a lead to attach it - it just has the standard power lead.

Do you think I need another fan? If so, what should I get?

shawn122

Post by shawn122 » Sun Mar 25, 2007 4:00 am

I would check that the heatsink is properly seated first on the Motherboard. with the 775 socket set, you have to make sure the pins are pushed in properly.

JimX
Friend of SPCR

Post by JimX » Sun Mar 25, 2007 5:34 am

First check what shawn122 wrote.

I have an E6400 and a P5B-E, it had the same high temps, only under 100% load of course. Then I installed the latest BIOS, 1101, and they reported 15c lower.

keepoffthegrass

Post by keepoffthegrass » Sun Mar 25, 2007 6:12 am

Cheers - how did you update the bios?

I've seen lots of posts on the internet where people have claimed the bios was screwed after update.

Did you use the windows Asus Update tool?

keepoffthegrass

Post by keepoffthegrass » Sun Mar 25, 2007 6:13 am

Actually - my Mobo box says it a P5B - whats the difference between that and the P5B-E?

Can I use the same Bios?

I.e. the one listed here:

http://support.asus.com/download/downlo ... uage=en-us

JimX
Friend of SPCR

Post by JimX » Sun Mar 25, 2007 6:30 am

I updated from the Windows Update Tool, I don't have a floppy, and the USB way didn't work for some reason...

There is a 1102 BIOS for your M/B. Why use another? Check first that you don't already have that installed, though highly unlikely. Unzip it!

Remember to follow the instructions and update the Update ( :D ) utility to 7.09.02 first.

SockToy

Post by SockToy » Sun Mar 25, 2007 1:34 pm

Seems hot. My system is 31 degrees idle.

I'd note that sometimes my board (P5B-Deluxe) fails to boot first time and the bios then cheerfully decides to up the voltage. If Im not careful it'll take it up to 1.56v or higher ('auto' in the bios) and the CPU is even then running at 45degrees idle, not 60.

By default I run at 1.32v in the BIOS, which is about 1.29 reported by speedfan after vdroop.

I'd suspect your heatsink isn't properly affixed or the thermal pad/goop needs sorting out, but if that isnt the case, you might want to check the bios cpu voltage.