New pc parts list

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

John Whelan

New pc parts list

Post by John Whelan » Sun Mar 25, 2007 8:55 am

Enermax uper chakra with 1000 W PSU
asaka 12 cm fan
ASUS P5N32-E SLI
E6600
OCZ 2GB (2x1024MB) DDR2 PC2-6400 (5-5-5-12) Special OPS Edition Dual Channel Kit
samsung dvd+r
Scythe ninja plus 120 mm fan
Logitech Z10 2.0
for graphics card i will wait till the new line is released and then possibly buy a 8950
Possibly liquid cooling not decided

derekchinese

Post by derekchinese » Sun Mar 25, 2007 9:20 am

I think that OCZ's platinum rev2 stuff is abit better than the special ops stuff and they both cost the same. Platinums have the same frequency but tighter timings: the special ops stuff runs at 5-5-5-5-12 but the platinum runs at 4-4-4-4-15. The difference may be negligable in the real world, but it may be something you might want to look into.

As for the Ninja. If it is the Rev. B version, you should make sure you have read the user reviews on SPCR. I was going to grab that heatsink, but alot of people here report that because the Ninja uses push pins it cannot achieve proper pressure and does not peform nearly as well as the original Ninja.

Just my 2 cents

Derek

jaganath

Post by jaganath » Sun Mar 25, 2007 9:35 am

Enermax uper chakra with 1000 W PSU
Even if you OC the heck out of CPU and GPU I doubt you will need more than 600W.

sjoukew

Post by sjoukew » Sun Mar 25, 2007 2:19 pm

I think that you can power 2 pc's with 1000W. I should go for a good and more quiet PSU.
And don't forget, if you have a 1000W PSU that is 1 kWh if it runs 1 hour flat out. That will cost you 1 kWh on your electricity bill. **
Don't only look at what the new system will cost you, but also how much money it will eat during its' life-time.
And if your computer really uses 1kWh that means that you have 1kW of heat what has to leave your case, one way or the other, it would be a 'real challenge' to do that quiet.

** If it has 100% efficiency, and it probably has something between 70-80% efficiency, so it will even cost you more.

christopher3393

Post by christopher3393 » Sun Mar 25, 2007 5:17 pm

Logitech Z10's are nice little speakers! CPU, MB, CPU cooler all smart choices. Waiting on graphics card also smart choice and liquid might turn out to be best cooling solution--we'll all know more in a couple of months.
if you're gonna wait that long there may be a new C2D that will be a better deal.

I agree w/ others in not seeing the need for 1000 watts. if you want to stay open to extreme upgrades, maybe, but I think you'd be very safe with a 700-850W PSU that would be less expensive and quieter. Seasonic M12 700, CoolerMaster Real Power Pro 850 are 2 examples of quieter PSUs with high efficiency and PLENTY of reserve power.

bonestonne

Post by bonestonne » Sun Mar 25, 2007 5:52 pm

hmm, don't want to sound too redundant with this, but 1000W is overkill for even the most power hungry systems. if you were running a 4 CPU footprinter server, maybe, however, you're not. i want to take it down a little from what other people have said, and say that your system will easily run with between 500-650W. the only thing you need to check is Amps on the PSU. if the rails run a little low, look for a higher quality PSU, not a higher wattage PSU.

i run a dual CPU Pentium III Xeon server with a 300W PSU...the system was reccomended to run 350+W for the CPUs consumption rate. my problem is an under powered +5v rail, running at 4.97-4.98v. i am looking into a new PSU for it, hotswappable, midrange power.

having a single CPU that has a stock voltage less than 2v doesnt need more than 600W. the idea is to get quality out of what you need, not something that you just can afford to have at a time.

the ninja will definately keep the CPU cool, with minor overclocking, however, if you plan on giving it a good amount of extra speed, look for a higher quality fan, Thermaltake A1927 is a very good fan for the job.

the case looks good, although if airflow gets tight in the front, you may look into a kama bay...although that case doesn't look like that would ever be an issue, and if it was, it would be minor.

if you're aiming for a DVD burner, try a DVD+/-RW, SATA if you were to push it...they're very nice, and i've had one for actually almost 3 years, only 2 coasters out of it, and that was because i had bad software that wouldn't burn it slowly causing corrupt data when burned.

other than that, the system looks really good how it is...if you were aiming to get things cheap, there may be a huge intel price drop soon...as it may be worth waiting for, its also dependant on availability.

John Whelan

Post by John Whelan » Mon Mar 26, 2007 12:18 pm

So would you say im better off with a

Seasonic M12 Modular 700W Silent ATX2.0 Power Supply
OCZ GAMEXSTREAM OCZ700GXSSLI 700W A/PFC
Enermax® INFINITI 700 Watt Psu

SockToy

Post by SockToy » Mon Mar 26, 2007 1:58 pm

Seasonic M-12 500w, unless you plan to go SLI.

See my sig.

You could even get away with less if you didnt want a moduiar PSU

christopher3393

Post by christopher3393 » Mon Mar 26, 2007 6:58 pm

John,

you've made 3 very good choices. i would select the Seasonic M-12 700 over the Enermax. The OCZ is much less expensive so is a very attractive choice. i don't think that either the Enermax or the OCZ have gone through rigorous noise testing, so there is some risk.

As you can tell, people at SPCR take seriously testing that has demonstrated that high efficiency PSUs can handle more load than many people think. There is also a sort of critical consciousness about overall efficiency. So many would say that unless you are going to be setting up SLI, doing a lot of overclocking, using a lot of drives, or some combination of these, you'll be well served by some very efficient, quiet PSU options at lower wattage than 700. For example, the Corsair 620 HX, which has tested very well here at SPCR, is modular, very efficient, relatively quiet, and can support a system with even higher power demands than your specs, as recently demonstrated at CeBit.

bonestonne

Post by bonestonne » Mon Mar 26, 2007 7:19 pm

although i use an enermax, they are somewhat cheaper when it comes to PSU's, you'd want to opt for Seasonic, as OCZ, well, i'd trust them with everything but the PSU..they're ram is nice.

Enermax i'd say is better for an older system as the rails sometimes have lower amps.