Micro-atx mobile sempron?

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

puggers

Micro-atx mobile sempron?

Post by puggers » Mon Apr 02, 2007 8:16 pm

Hey,

I going to build a small computer, mainly to use as a torrentbox, but also to backup everything off my laptop, and to store all my music and films on, so I can stream them around the house.

I'm planning to use a small form factor case, on which will probably run Arch Linux, as its nice and stable, uses little resources, and I can leave it on for weeks on end. Because it will be on all the time, its important to me that it uses as little power as possible, and makes minimal noise. I hoping that I might be able to run a completely fanless system if I use the right setup. Failing this, a really quiet one will be fine.

I was looking at a number of different options but my first choice would be to run a Sempron Mobile on an micro-atx mobo, but I'm not quite sure if this is possible? For example the Asus K8V-VM motherboard states:
"Compatible Processors: Athlon 64, Sempron"

Does this include Sempron Mobile CPUs too? I cant find any that explicitly state the Mobile version. If not could someone advise about other low-cost alternatives? Infact, if there are any better ideas than this anyway I would be grateful. I was looking at the Intel E4300 too, but it costs far more, and I really don’t need the power it provides. Also could anyone suggest a heatsink or fan that will do the job?

Thanks a million!

steve

nzimmers

are you going to have the box on 24/7?

Post by nzimmers » Tue Apr 03, 2007 3:16 am

I'm guessing you are probably going to have the box on 24 hours a day - you might want to keep an eye on how much power you'll be using (power = heat = noise from fans to keep it cool).

Mobile CPU's are great but also you need to pay close attention to the chipset - the VIA, ULi, ATI and SIS are pretty good while generally speaking the Nvida ones get pretty hot, I always take a look at the heatsink on the chipset to see what kind of cooling is required (small the heatsink the better)

The Asus K8V-VM should support a mobile sempron, and according to this site: http://angelfall.s39.xrea.com/area2ch/turion-e.html
it should support the Turion64 chip as well. there's no guarantee, but I would say your chances are very very good

I think you'll be able to run your system with 1 or two slow moving fans, just a little air circulation is necessary and helps tremendously.

I pretty much have a similar machine that I used as a home server (web server/FTP, etc + backups + torrents and some emule stuff - I run Perrguardian on it and it's actually the gateway for my home network).

I went with an intel core solo (mobile chip) and am very happy with it. eventually I will upgrade it to a core duo or core 2 duo chip when they are cheap on ebay.

right now, I have 8 drives running in it and the total power consumption is less than 98watts, not too shabby.

kaange

Post by kaange » Tue Apr 03, 2007 4:49 am

It looks like you're out of luck with this m/b
http://support.asus.com/cpusupport/cpus ... del=K8V-VM

Too bad you need mATX as there are a couple of Asus ATX m/b that will support mobile Semprons and Turions

jaganath

Post by jaganath » Tue Apr 03, 2007 6:36 am

I hoping that I might be able to run a completely fanless system if I use the right setup. Failing this, a really quiet one will be fine.
I recommend an AM2 Sempron 3200 and a mATX MB with one of those single chipset things (MCP61 or whatever it's called). You can almost certainly downclock this to [email protected] and run it fanless or 1 slow fan.

pelago

Post by pelago » Tue Apr 03, 2007 7:09 am

I agree with jaganath and I have a setup just as he describes (actually, I could only go down to 0.9V at 800MHz, using an ASRock ALiveNF6G-DVI mATX motherboard). From what I could gather, mobile Semprons just weren't the hassle - not many motherboards support them and the chips are hard to find.

puggers

Post by puggers » Tue Apr 03, 2007 8:36 am

Yes, I think going with an AM2 mobo/Sempron setup would probably be the most sensible idea. How effective is downclocking at reducing power consumption? The Mobile Sempron setup (if I could ever construct such a thing) uses about 25w. How close would the AM2 approach be to that?
Also, it seems there are two versions of the Sempron 3200+, a 62 watt one(SDA3200IAA2CN) and a 35 watt one(SDD3200IAA2CN). Which one of these is best for underclocking? More importantly which would give the best (least wattage) final result?

Lastly, for a motherboard, I will probably get either an ASRock ALiveNF4G-DVI or an ALiveNF6G-DVI. Is there any real difference between the models? They are both similarly priced.

Thanks a lot, you’re all a great help!

Steve

kaange

Post by kaange » Tue Apr 03, 2007 5:04 pm

I'm running a Sempron 3300+ with CNQ disabled (it causes glitches in my video capture) and with the standard cooler and the CPU fan slowed to 900rpm, it barely gets to 40 deg C even when running 100% doing video processing.

With CNQ enabled and a decent aftermarket cooler, you could probably use a very slow fan and keep temps under control.

jaganath

Post by jaganath » Tue Apr 03, 2007 6:52 pm

How effective is downclocking at reducing power consumption? The Mobile Sempron setup (if I could ever construct such a thing) uses about 25w. How close would the AM2 approach be to that?
TDP of the mobile Sempron is 25W,doesn't mean it will use 25W all the time. For the AM2 setup, if you can get the 800Mhz/0.8V downclock to run stable, my guesstimate is power consumption in the low single figures at idle, maybe <15W at full load.
it seems there are two versions of the Sempron 3200+, a 62 watt one(SDA3200IAA2CN) and a 35 watt one(SDD3200IAA2CN). Which one of these is best for underclocking? More importantly which would give the best (least wattage) final result?
As far as I can tell the 35W is not available anywhere. The standard version will give you a great result anyway.
I will probably get either an ASRock ALiveNF4G-DVI or an ALiveNF6G-DVI. Is there any real difference between the models?
one is single chipset (NF6G), one is dual chipset (NF4G). Single chipset uses less power.

puggers

Post by puggers » Wed Apr 04, 2007 2:38 pm

Thanks very much jaganath, you have helped massively! I'll get the Sempron 3200 and the ALiveNF6G board. I think I'm going to get a Antec NSK1300 case, which apparently gets pretty hot for big/fast rigs, but I'm sure it'll be great for this. Thanks again to everyone!

Steve

kaange

Post by kaange » Wed Apr 04, 2007 3:33 pm

I can't imagine how the Sempron can be forced to consume 62W since mine is so easily cooled, even when video encoding.

I think you'll have no problems keeping your new system quiet

ronrem

Post by ronrem » Fri Apr 06, 2007 12:02 pm

In the Sempron line-the lowest power chip will run coolest with fewest W. The published TDP stuff is worst case scenario for the fastest/hottest Sempy which is something like a 3500 now. 2800/3000 sempys with the mediocre stock cooler often report bathwater temps,under 30C. Undervolted-are EASY to cool passive. You should get by with a single case exhaust at 500-800 rpm + whatever the PSU contributes.

The Mobiles will have the naked chip--no heatspreader. You need to be careful with the heatsink. Last I looked-you could use the older mobiles on some 754 mobos but I don't think there's AM2 options.

I have not used Crystal CPU,but if you figure it out-it appears to give flexibility. I don't see underclocking a Sempy to act like an old P2,but the On-demand options,Cool + Quiet,Crystal...basically do that when you don't need power-yet the power's available if needed.