New HTPC suggestions - Restricted

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Whet1134

New HTPC suggestions - Restricted

Post by Whet1134 » Sun Apr 15, 2007 8:49 am

Hello all,

I am looking to build my first HTPC (not my first PC built) and I need a few suggestions from the experienced masses. I have many parts that I will be using from old PC upgrades which restricts my choices a bit but saves me a boatload on parts.

Here's what I have:

-MSI K8N Neo2 Platinum ATX motherboard
-Seasonic Tornado 300W 120mm PSU
-AMD Athlon64 3000+ CPU Stock HSF
-ATI Radeon 9800 with Zalman fanless heatsink
-1Gb Corsair PC2700 SDRAM
-Samsung 160Gb 7200rpm HDD
-WD 200GB 7200rpm HDD
-NEC 16x DVD Burner IDE
-Linksys Wireless-A PCI Adapter

Here's what I need:
-HTPC case (can NOT be a tower as it will be going on a shelved TV stand)
-TV Tuner card for recording HD content over antenna and shows off Cable

Silence is the big concern as always (which the Zalman heatsink you all recommended helps greatly with :) ) and I have access to numerous Panaflo fans of assorted sizes. I would also like to keep the cost of the HTPC case at or around $120. The TV Tuner I'll splurge ($150?) on but I don't want to go overboard. I want the case to be black and sexy (to fit in with my other components) but I won't turn my nose up at a good looking silver case. No need for a front LCD/readout. The CPU will not be overclocked and the system will not be for gaming (yet - I may upgrade later). Heat shouldn't be a concern as it hasn't been yet. Size isn't an issue and can be roughly the size of an upscale receiver; it just can't be tower.

Basically, I need a silent PVR/Media server for my HDTV. :D

Thanks in advance,

Dave

autoboy

Post by autoboy » Sun Apr 15, 2007 10:39 am

HD homerun from silicon dust is my favorite HD tuner. it is ethernet based, has 2 digital tuners, and can tune OTA and QAM broadcasts.

abby_normal

Post by abby_normal » Sun Apr 15, 2007 3:37 pm

As to the HTPC case, I think the Silverstone LC17 is a very nice choice right around your price range (I have one). Very "clean," uncluttered appearance, nice build quality, adequate room for components, good cooling with 2 80mm fans in back and the option to add more (front and/or side). If you undervolt the included 80mm rear fans they run nice and silent.

The case comes in a choice of black or silver. I have the silver and quite like it. The only thing to note is that the front (brushed aluminum) does not match the rest of the case (steel, which is a duller silver color). Doesn't matter to me, as the front is the only part visible in the rack where I store it. Since you seem to prefer black, though, that may not matter to you anyway . . .

Whet1134

Post by Whet1134 » Sun Apr 15, 2007 4:15 pm

Excellent. Thank you both. I'm looking in to the LC17. I definitely like the look of it. Just have to find it for less than $150. I'm also more interested in an internal TV Tuner, but I'll research the HD Homerun before passing judgment. Thanks again!

Everyone else, please feel free to leave advice. Cheers.

Whet1134

Post by Whet1134 » Sun Apr 15, 2007 4:18 pm

Cool, Newegg has it for $120. Too bad shipping is $16...

jhhoffma

Post by jhhoffma » Sun Apr 15, 2007 5:23 pm

For $120, there aren't a lot of options for a Full-ATX mobo that looks good and is also quiet.

The Silverstone LC-17B and Silverstone LC-20B are probably your only options. The LC20B would probably be better if you plan on modding the case to include an IR receiver in the case, as it has a smoke acrylic window blank that can be used for this.

Other than that the LC20 has a door to hide it's 2- 5.25" bays and the LC17 uses stealth plates.

It's up to your aesthetic sense on what fits you better, as the internals are all the same. However, you will definitely want to fit the case with some QUIET 80mm/92mm fans and not the crappy ones that may or may not come with the case.

abby_normal

Post by abby_normal » Sun Apr 15, 2007 8:55 pm

I agree with jhhoffma: if you may want to install VFD/IR, the LC20 gives you that option, while the LC17 does not. The upgrade is $50ish I think. Personally I do not like having to flip open the door to access the DVD drives (as you do on the LC20), but everyone has their own preferences.

In terms of replacing the fans: if you've got quieter 80mm fans on hand, by all means swap them in. If you don't, before you spend cash, I suggest you try undervolting the stock ones. I was pleasantly surprised . . . I can't hear them at all, and my cooling is more than adequate. YMMV, of course.

Whet1134

Post by Whet1134 » Mon Apr 16, 2007 6:22 am

I stumbled upon the LC20 while I was looking at the LC17 on Newegg. Style-wise, I like the LC20 better, but I do agree that the flipdown door is not ideal. I may have to bump my spending limit up a bit on the case because the IR remote is appealing. The LC20 is VERY nice though... lots of space, perfect size, aesthetically suited to my components. Thanks for the advice!

jhhoffma

Post by jhhoffma » Mon Apr 16, 2007 7:09 am

Depending on the OS you'll be running, you may need to think about getting the MCE IR bundle (reciever + remote) instead of the one Silverstone offers (IMON).

Obviously the MCE remote/reciever will work with MCE right out of the box and is relatively easy to configure and the commands are easily learned by other universal remotes (Harmony for example). The IMON includes a mouse function on it's remotes which is not easily duplicated by universal remotes.

Also, be SURE that you really want an LCD/VFD. IMO, it's just a gimmick. I don't think I've got $50 of usage out of mine, since it's too small to be read from my couch. Sometimes, the visualizations (spectrum analyzer and others) are fun to watch but require a lot of effort (and sometimes special software) to play effectively, and to be honest, I just don't want to monkey with my HTPC that much. I just want to watch movies and TV.

Whet1134

Post by Whet1134 » Mon Apr 16, 2007 1:05 pm

I fully agree with you about the LCD/VFD. I don't need it and won't be paying the money for it. The 7" touch screen would be nice, but I don't have $600 to blow on a case with that feature. In the end, I'll probably spend the $150 on the Silverstone LC20 and be happy. Just out of curiosity, are there any other brands I should trust besides Silverstone? I've been very impressed with their lineup from the reviews, but I want to explore any other options. Steel construction is preferred. I don't mind aluminum facing, but I prefer a solid case like the LC20.

Also, what is the general consensus on HDTV PVR? The only PVR I've ever used was a Dish Network PVR and it was SD only. The software was easy to use and the programming of recording times a cinch. I'll be using MCE2005 for the HTPC, but I'm concerned that my PC won't be able to handle HDTV recording. I've only heard of Hauppauge and ATI AIW cards but since I've never used a PCI tuner card before, I don't know what I'm getting myself into... Still considering the HD Homerun though.

Whet1134

Post by Whet1134 » Mon Apr 16, 2007 1:13 pm

Oooooh, I think I found my tuner (pending price check):

http://www.hauppauge.com/pages/products ... r1600.html

Back to the researching! Cheers. :D

jhhoffma

Post by jhhoffma » Mon Apr 16, 2007 1:48 pm

RE: other case options

There aren't any more options at that price range that will fit an full-ATX board except maybe the Thermaltake Mozart.

I've never seen nor heard anything about its quietness from anyone I'd trust as an expert on quiet computing, so buyer beware.

The Thermaltake also has a VFD/IR option (called MediaLab, I believe) but I'm unsure who makes it (MatrixOrbital maybe?)

alphabetbackward

Post by alphabetbackward » Mon Apr 16, 2007 2:07 pm

The Media Lab is also another OEM from iMON.

Remote control and VFD

jhhoffma

Post by jhhoffma » Mon Apr 16, 2007 3:22 pm

alphabetbackward wrote:The Media Lab is also another OEM from iMON.

Remote control and VFD
It was one of the two, I just didn't want to look it up...I'm too lazy.

Whet1134

Post by Whet1134 » Mon Apr 16, 2007 4:20 pm

Well thanks to everyone who wrote back. I'm probably going to go with the LC20 for $155 and the Hauppauge HVR1600 when it comes out. I'll let you all know how I fare.

Also, Jhhoffma, I noticed that "Solderboy's HTPC" is almost exactly what I have planned. How's that OrigenAE case working out?

alphabetbackward

Post by alphabetbackward » Mon Apr 16, 2007 4:30 pm

The Hauppauge HVR-1600 is already out.

I have the HVR-950 which is the USB version and I think it works very well despite it getting very warm. I do not like the software and didn't bother to use it. I use WatchHDTV since I can't get GBPVR to work with it (yet) and I get good picture quality. I use an indoor antenna which limits my setup.

I also owned the 150 model which does analog and I think the 1600 is using the same chipset so I wouldn't be surprised if the quality is the same. I also liked the remote as I used it to control Winamp, Windows Media Player, Media Player Classic, and a few others.

I'm waiting for rebates to bring the price down. I got the 950 for 59.99 at Amazon after a 20 dollar rebate.
Last edited by alphabetbackward on Mon Apr 16, 2007 8:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Whet1134

Post by Whet1134 » Mon Apr 16, 2007 6:30 pm

Since this is my first foray into HTPC, I probably won't be able to tell the difference in quality of the tuner, but it's good to know you like Hauppauge enough to continue buying their product. I've noticed that USB powered devices get pretty warm. I assumed it was because they were powered by the USB themselves. I'll stick to the internal 1600 and see how it goes. I found one for $70 after rebate so that sounds like a winner to me! I'm actually spending LESS than originally thought ($300) so I'm happy. Thanks again!

alphabetbackward

Post by alphabetbackward » Mon Apr 16, 2007 8:24 pm

Is it the one at CompUSA?

I'm pissed off that I didn't get a 1600 earlier when both CompUSA and Circuit City has 20 dollar rebates and 20 dollar instant savings.

I think someone has posted this link but just in case...

HDTV tuners

Whet1134

Post by Whet1134 » Mon Apr 16, 2007 10:30 pm

Yeah, it's at CompUSA. Also, Dell Home has it for $82 - $20 rebate. I may get it there too. For $60, you can't miss.

jhhoffma

Post by jhhoffma » Tue Apr 17, 2007 6:39 am

Whet1134 wrote:Also, Jhhoffma, I noticed that "Solderboy's HTPC" is almost exactly what I have planned. How's that OrigenAE case working out?
The OrigenAE is a great case. It's a little difficult to put together (cramped, but it IS an HTPC), and the instructions are not that clear. But (most) of the included fans are quiet @5v. I've made some modifications to it, like removing the drive cage, using some HDD adapter brackets to make a platform, placing the drive on that using some sorbothane blocks.

The software is the biggest problem. There is not real manual included on how to use the VFD/IR software, just a small note that says, "install drivers in this order and it should work." Uhhhn, ok.

The good thing about IRTrans is it's pretty customizable and can be used by many other VFD/LCD programs (LCDSmartie for one, and Frontview) and most IR suites (Girder, HIP, etc)

Like I said though, the VFD is gimmicky and not all that useful with MCE. If I were using Meedio (which I may in the future) that might be different.

Whet1134

Post by Whet1134 » Tue Apr 17, 2007 2:21 pm

Cool, thanks for the mini-review. I'm sticking with the LC20 to pop my HTPCherry. :wink:

I just picked up the Hauppauge HVR1600 at CompUSA. They are going out of business and it was $100 - 25% - $20 rebate = $60 after tax.

After I install, I may be back with more questions than answers. :shock:

Cheers.

jhhoffma

Post by jhhoffma » Tue Apr 17, 2007 6:41 pm

Whet1134 wrote:I just picked up the Hauppauge HVR1600 at CompUSA. They are going out of business and it was $100 - 25% - $20 rebate = $60 after tax.
Correction, they are just shutting down some stores (120, I believe). They are also shutting down the one in my city. Doesn't matter, they don't really sell anything for cheap enough to buy there anyway besides CDR's.

Whet1134

Post by Whet1134 » Tue Apr 17, 2007 10:33 pm

You are correct, they are shifting to an online business model and keeping a few "super stores" at select retail locations. There were 3 near my house and now there are none. I have to drive into the city to find a CompUSA now... not that it matters, they never had good prices. I should know, I worked there and they raped the customer. Kinda felt good getting that 1600 for the price I did. And it works great! I downloaded the trial of SageTV 6 and I'm totally enamored. It's finicky, but I think it's because I'm using basic rabbit ears and not a high-gain external HD antenna. Thanks for all the help.

Whet1134

Post by Whet1134 » Mon Apr 23, 2007 12:31 pm

Ok Ladies and Gents,

New problem: I got my HTPC all set up and I bought a DVI to HDMI cable to go from the Radeon 9800 to my HDTV (Samsung TXR3079WH). When I powered up, nothing came up on screen. I have tried changing the resolution on the PC to 1280x720 but that doesn't seem to work. I believe I have a DVI-D cable. I bought this one: http://www.pcmicrostore.com/PartDetail. ... p:10503206

I'm going to try and download the newest ATI drivers and Catalyst software (even thought they SUCK) and see where that takes me. Any other suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

alphabetbackward

Post by alphabetbackward » Mon Apr 23, 2007 3:08 pm

Whet1134 wrote:Cool, thanks for the mini-review. I'm sticking with the LC20 to pop my HTPCherry. :wink:

I just picked up the Hauppauge HVR1600 at CompUSA. They are going out of business and it was $100 - 25% - $20 rebate = $60 after tax.

After I install, I may be back with more questions than answers. :shock:

Cheers.
I'm glad you saw that deal as well; I forgot to mention it. I was quite happy to see it was 25% off making it quite competitive with online retailers and the 20 dollar rebate sealed the deal.

Now I'm looking to get a Channel Master 4221 and a tripod to mount an antenna in my closet...

jhhoffma

Post by jhhoffma » Mon Apr 23, 2007 7:01 pm

Whet1134 wrote:Ok Ladies and Gents,

New problem: I got my HTPC all set up and I bought a DVI to HDMI cable to go from the Radeon 9800 to my HDTV (Samsung TXR3079WH). When I powered up, nothing came up on screen. I have tried changing the resolution on the PC to 1280x720 but that doesn't seem to work. I believe I have a DVI-D cable. I bought this one: http://www.pcmicrostore.com/PartDetail. ... p:10503206

I'm going to try and download the newest ATI drivers and Catalyst software (even thought they SUCK) and see where that takes me. Any other suggestions?

Thanks in advance.
I had to use a regular monitor (VGA or DVI) to setup my HTPC as the screen was not recognized by the hardware until detected by the software (go figure). See if you can borrow a monitor from another computer setup your system on that and then add the TV to it. You can usually use CRT monitors to display 1080i if you will be displaying that. Otherwise 720p is easy for any monitor to handle.

Whet1134

Post by Whet1134 » Mon Apr 23, 2007 7:32 pm

Thanks, I actually used my MacBook Pro to do some testing. That worked flawlessly... even set up the color and resolution for HDTV use. So, the cable is fine, the HTPC needs set up proper. I had to install ATI's god-awful drivers and Catalyst software. I'll have to move around my Dell LCD to set up the HDTV. Pain in the tail, but necessary. Whatever happened to good ole fashion Plug and Play?? Haha. Anyway, I'm sure I'll be back with more questions later. Thanks for the continued help.

Whet1134

Post by Whet1134 » Thu Apr 26, 2007 11:41 am

Well, I got my first HTPC built and it works great.

The case is the LC20 and it's a good solid case. It's a tight fit for my components and if you're intending on using an MSI K8N Neo2 board in it, I'd have to recommend another case (the power connector and IDE cables sit directly underneath the optical drive cage...) but for all intents and purposes, it's a well designed case. It's pretty quiet for a performance PC. I have 1 panaflo 80mm in it so far for exhaust and the stock CPU cooler. I will add more cooling later as it gets pretty hot during extended use. I'm also going to put in a 5400rpm HDD so that much less heat is produced. If I had to, I'd say it's an 8/10 for this product. My only problem with it is the placement of the PSU. WHY would they put it so far away from the motherboard connector when they could just sit it behind the optical drive cage? The wires for the front also needed reworked, but that was minor. On the whole I'm very happy with my new HTPC. Thanks to all the people that helped me!

Cheers.