Nexus 120mm on Gigabyte 965P-DQ6 r3. Won't spin up automatic

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

HedgeHocker

Nexus 120mm on Gigabyte 965P-DQ6 r3. Won't spin up automatic

Post by HedgeHocker » Sat Apr 21, 2007 1:07 pm

Hey guys,

So I bought a Nexus 120mm fan (orange one) to use as a CPU cooler on a Gigabyte 965P-DQ6 r3 ...well when I cold boot the system from power off to on the fan will stall and not spin up and the alarms go off. The fan is plugged into the right header on the mainboard. I have to open the case and manually start the spinning ..! This is really getting to me and I don't know if replacing the fan will resolve the problem. Is there something glaringly obvious I've overlooked in setting up the system? What could I do to start the trouble shooting? Heard this one before? I'm short for ideas.

lol, thanks

tehfire

Post by tehfire » Sat Apr 21, 2007 2:43 pm

Does your mb have some sort of fan management system? I'm guessing it's feeding something other than full voltage to the Nexus when it starts up. Nexuses have a relatively high starting voltage. I would try running the nexus at full speed (12v) via either a molex adapter or find a way to disable fan speed management in the bios.

[F]bernZ

Post by [F]bernZ » Sat Apr 21, 2007 3:24 pm

You probably have a fan speed management active. Check in your BIOS to make sure that the fans are given enough voltage to start. What your problem here is that your fan has enough voltage to maintain running (higher than stall voltage) but lower than startup voltage (the voltage required to initially start the fan spinning).

angelkiller

Post by angelkiller » Sat Apr 21, 2007 4:41 pm

Hey, I've got a Gigabyte DS3 (Your mobo without the heatpipes iirc). When I plugged my 800rpm Scythe S-Flex into the "system" header, the fan will not start. It keeps twitching, but never spin. When I manually start it, It still does not spin at full speed. (I can feel the difference in the moving air) I solved this by using a molex adapter that still plugs into the mobo for rpm data.

I've seen a few reports of Gigabyte motherboards not fully supporting fan very well. (in general). So you probably don't have a bad mobo, it seems to be a common problem.

If you have any other questions please ask! :D

dragmor

Post by dragmor » Sun Apr 22, 2007 8:08 pm

I've got the DQ6 rev1. You need to turn the fan control off in the BIOS.

alfred

Post by alfred » Sun Apr 22, 2007 9:39 pm

I'm using the DQ6 with CPU fan management activated. The fan doesn't start until a few minutes when I cold boot; the passive Scythe Ninja has to get higher in temp first, before the 12cm Nexus rear fan starts at about 5V. I see no worry at all in this behaviour; the back copper plate is extremely good at passively cooling all MB components like PWM, so they won't have a chance to overheat before the fan actually starts. I don't even have any other fan in this rig (fanless PSU, VGA etc).

HedgeHocker

Post by HedgeHocker » Sun Apr 22, 2007 10:10 pm

Many responses - thank you. Nice community.

I've been working on finding the right bluetooth mouse and keyboard by Microsoft (no more Logitech for me) and the right mousepad for them ..since theyre laser (icemat - white?) and have been occupied with this too much to get back sooner and say thank you.

Um, I disabled that fan control feature and it seemed to work ...thing is why won't it work right with it enabled? Hopefully a bios update will fix this. The fan alarm, and I like this feature, is enabled and it will go off briefly now until the fan spins up. I'll probable look for the right molex adapter that also plugs into the sensor like angelkiller did.

Looks like its a common annoyance.

tehfire

Post by tehfire » Sun Apr 22, 2007 10:33 pm

With the fan control off, the headers send a constant 12v to the fans. With fan control, it sends a lower voltage until heat rises, then adjusts the voltage as necessary. This is great for normal (noisy) fans, but low-speed fans need a relatively high starting voltage. This is why your fans wouldn't start up unless fan control was off.

angelkiller

Post by angelkiller » Mon Apr 23, 2007 7:33 am

tehfire wrote:With the fan control off, the headers send a constant 12v to the fans. With fan control, it sends a lower voltage until heat rises, then adjusts the voltage as necessary. This is great for normal (noisy) fans, but low-speed fans need a relatively high starting voltage. This is why your fans wouldn't start up unless fan control was off.
Ah, that makes sense! :D Now that's why my fan wouldn't start up. And after I manually spun the fan, it continued to spin so slowly. So can I assume that Gigabyte boards have automatic fan control (ie case fans)? If so, is that why Speedfan doen't work? (Because the mobo is already monitoring and adjusting fan speed?) Thanks for that response, clears up alot of of unexplained stuff.

Sizzle
Patron of SPCR

Post by Sizzle » Mon Apr 23, 2007 7:47 am

Gigabyte's fan control on the 965 boards is pretty crummy in my opinion. I had a DQ6 and using any method of the control offered, it would not spin my Scythe case fan unless I manually gave it a push.

Tzupy
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Tzupy » Mon Apr 23, 2007 8:15 am

I have the DQ6 and A E6600 with SI-128 and Nexus fan(s). The CPU fan doesn't start at boot and quite a while after, until I do some serious work or gaming. So I'm running it semi-passive, no problems. Right now the fan is at about 450 rpm (absolutely inaudible) and CPU temp 24C.