Need help on a cheap SFF silent HTPC..I have no parts list.

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

ranoobu

Need help on a cheap SFF silent HTPC..I have no parts list.

Post by ranoobu » Wed Apr 25, 2007 9:46 pm

Hey Guys..

I've looked at a lot of cases and I still don't know what's good.. I've been especially freaked out since I wanted to buy this MicroFly case from Fry's and when i got there, it didn't look like such an SFF type case.. (was pretty huge)

Can people help me with components to build a cheap but good HTPC?

The specs i'm looking for are:

SFF
Quiet
Has two exposed drive bays.. one for a dvd drive and the other for a removable hard drive tray so i can leave this at someones house and just bring my hard drive
possibly a mobo with built in video since i'll only be watching stuff with this PC .. the video should be able to handle h.264 encodes..
Cheap!

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

:shock:

Maelwys

Post by Maelwys » Thu Apr 26, 2007 5:02 am

If the MicroFly case was too big, then this one will probably be too big for your tastes as well, but I thought I'd suggest it since it fits your needs (quiet, dual external 5.25" drive bays, takes mATX boards so you can customize): The Antec NSK3300 / 3400.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6811129016

The 3400 is the same as the 3300 except it comes with a standard ATX PSU rather than the SFX one. Antec also has 3300s in their B-Stock store for $50.