HTPC With a 220mm fan?

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Tainek

HTPC With a 220mm fan?

Post by Tainek » Sun Apr 29, 2007 9:59 am

Hey again guys :D

Well ive now saved a few hundred quid up for a media pc, and i've been looking at how i'm going to cool the system silently

Well the background on the system to be is:

AMD X3600/3800 Cooled by a 2U Heatsink http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showprodu ... subcat=821
1G of DDR2
A Gigabyte 8500GT ( for its video acceleration) - Passive heatsink
A MicroAtx Case:
http://www.ebuyer.com/UK/product/123406
A UATX Motherboard
http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/ProductI ... tID=507034
A 2.5inch HDD
http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/ProductI ... tID=447798

Im planning to store recorded shows onto the laptop HDD, and then to move them onto external hard drives (so that i can turn the drives on when i decide to watch them, and turn them off when not in use)

i was thinking of cooling the entire case with a bigboy antec 220mm Fan, undervolted as low as it can go, cut and mounted onto the side of the case

i havent decided on a PSU yet, but i'm hoping to get one without a fan, to make it only cooled by the bigboy

do i need to splosh out £50+ for a fanless PSU, or are there decent <200W PSU's that can deal with simply having the fan removed (i dont mind cutting the case) ?

Theres also a Happauge Freeview tuner card (Pci)

~El~Jefe~
Friend of SPCR

Post by ~El~Jefe~ » Sun Apr 29, 2007 10:07 am

antec phantom 350 is what I have. if you can find one, youre in luck. it never gets more the slightly warm after playing STALKER on max settings for 4 hours.

thats a sick assed game btw...

Tainek

Post by Tainek » Sun Apr 29, 2007 12:56 pm

Oh dear, ive placed this in the wrong section, could a mod lend a guy a bump to the system advice forums? :oops:

yeah the antec 350 is nice, if a little hard to find :P

but the problem is the case uses TFF PSU's >.<

ronrem

Post by ronrem » Sun Apr 29, 2007 6:12 pm

The Antec Big Boy is 170 mm or 200 mm including the frame bezel.
There are als 220 mm fans-250mm counting the bezel,these are seen on cases by several makers and undervolt below 3.5 v...or 250/300 rpm.

The Antec stock is a 3 speed ajustable, in a fairly broad tower case,the Antec can be a top or floor fan. The larger fans,in a tower,are door mount/side mount.

For a HTPC horizontal layout-a big fan can be mounted to the top,and you even could do a homebuilt with the board upside down so the fans on the bottom.

Tainek

Post by Tainek » Mon Apr 30, 2007 1:48 am

ronrem wrote:The Antec Big Boy is 170 mm or 200 mm including the frame bezel.
There are als 220 mm fans-250mm counting the bezel,these are seen on cases by several makers and undervolt below 3.5 v...or 250/300 rpm.

The Antec stock is a 3 speed ajustable, in a fairly broad tower case,the Antec can be a top or floor fan. The larger fans,in a tower,are door mount/side mount.

For a HTPC horizontal layout-a big fan can be mounted to the top,and you even could do a homebuilt with the board upside down so the fans on the bottom.
yeah i was thinking i could have a fan sucking air up from below

well the website i was looking at for the bigboy is performance PC's, which is £20 inc shipping to UK, which also has

http://www.performance-pcs.com/catalog/ ... s_id=21357

i'd like to be able to slow it to about 300-400 rpm

apart from these two fans, the only other large fans ive found are those attached to cases, i searched , but couldnt see anywhere listing single fans >.<

ronrem

Post by ronrem » Tue May 01, 2007 5:27 pm

Fish around...Felger Carbon and Bluefront have each done nifty things and a lot of experiments with the 13 blade 220/250. The slightly smaller Antecs have fewer reports. I see now you have a small mini-tower-so a big fan would be a door mount.

That Heatsink-while compact...has a fan that hits a peak around 5000 rpm....horrors....and I see no heatpipes at all. A Coolermaster Gemini ought to fit...and with that a Big Fan can cool that chip. Scythe Samuri,Aerocool Dominatior,some Thermalright's are proven sinks that would face a door fan. I suspect that case is a bit narrow to mout the big boy Antec as a floor or blowhole fan.

When I refered to a BIG fan on the top or bottom of an HYPC case- I meant the horizontal mobo/desktop style.....rather as if yours was on its side

Tainek

Post by Tainek » Thu May 03, 2007 10:25 pm

ronrem wrote:Fish around...Felger Carbon and Bluefront have each done nifty things and a lot of experiments with the 13 blade 220/250. The slightly smaller Antecs have fewer reports. I see now you have a small mini-tower-so a big fan would be a door mount.

That Heatsink-while compact...has a fan that hits a peak around 5000 rpm....horrors....and I see no heatpipes at all. A Coolermaster Gemini ought to fit...and with that a Big Fan can cool that chip. Scythe Samuri,Aerocool Dominatior,some Thermalright's are proven sinks that would face a door fan. I suspect that case is a bit narrow to mout the big boy Antec as a floor or blowhole fan.

When I refered to a BIG fan on the top or bottom of an HYPC case- I meant the horizontal mobo/desktop style.....rather as if yours was on its side
well i looked at all the fans & Felger Carbon and Bluefront's posts, and eventually went for the big boy

while the larger fans are cheaper, and spin at a lower RPM, they are so large they will

A: end up allowing lots of dust into the case
and
B: end up losing 30% of the airflow due to blowing air at the DVD drive, pretty much negating the point of the larger fan

the largers fans are fantasic for overall airflow, but bad for pinpoint cooling is the impression i got

yeah the plan is to have it lay fat side to the floor, not upright. and have the fan mounted above the PSU/CPU/Mobo

i will likely make a duct to direct air to just those components, as i am not worried about cooling the 2.5Inch HDD, or the DvD drive, and if i want to run the PSU passive, i will need a lot of air to pass over it

both case and fan should be here by next wensday, friday at latest, i'll be sure to take some pictures as i work ;)

Tainek

Post by Tainek » Fri May 11, 2007 5:55 am

fan came today, cut and mounted in

would rather have it internal, but it would sit afoul of the DVD drive, its going to be out of sight, so i dont mind

more when the components eventually arrive