faulty video card board revision?

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

RaptorZX3

faulty video card board revision?

Post by RaptorZX3 » Sat May 05, 2007 2:05 am

i went thru the Asus RMA process to get a replacement for my Asus Radeon X1600Pro Silent 512mb.

on the Asus process (helpdesk.asus.com, the RMA status), they list the "new" serial number, and in the note, they put "original S/N: (original serial number here)", and it's a totally different serial number, except that the new serial number have a red "X" where a number is supposed to be.

does that mean the video card board i had was a faulty/problematic board revision? (remember the first PS1 and PS2, the first PS1 used to overheat and you had to turn then sideway or upside down, PS2 first board revisions had some problems after a while)

i really hope it was only a board revision problem, right now i'm waiting for the replacement to come to my home (i'll ask Asus for the tracking number on Monday since they didn't sent the email to be about it yet, they says they send the tracking number when the package is sent, but they didn't)

fortunately i have a video card to put in while waiting for the replacement card, so i can still get on my main computer (video card is noisy compared to my other components inside, and it makes my case slightly vibrate too)

IF it works fine now, cool. but i still wonder why it wasn't working fine: Asus main board + Asus video card = supposed to go well together.

pyogenes

Post by pyogenes » Sat May 05, 2007 10:17 am

I doubt the problem was a faulty board revision. If it was, there would be far more problems reported. It's more likely you just got one with manufacturing defects.

BTW, the PS1 problem wasn't overheating. It was the CD-ROM motor failing. Turning it on the side or upside down made it easier for the motor to spin.

RaptorZX3

Post by RaptorZX3 » Sat May 05, 2007 3:25 pm

it simply sucks to wait for a replacement for 3 weeks to 1 month...