Any ideas for improvements?

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

nybohansen

Any ideas for improvements?

Post by nybohansen » Sun May 20, 2007 1:15 am

Hello!

It is time for me to build a new quite system. My goal is to build a fairly performing desktop system that is as near to inaudible to the human ear, as possible!

My shopping list looks like this:

Case: Antec solo <- Already bought this!
PSU: Corsair HX520W PSU <- Bought this after reading about here at SPCR!

Motherboard: ASUS P5B-Plus AiLifestyle Series
CPU: Core 2 Duo E6600 2.4 GHz
CPU cooler: Thermalright Ultra-120
Ram: Kingston ValueRAM 2 x 1 GB
GPU: Gigabyte GV NX85T256H
Storage: WD Caviar SE16 WD5000AAKS 500 GB

My question is now how quite will this system be? My biggest concern is with the graphics card. I won’t be playing any of the new demanding games, but like to se a movie once in a while! It would be nice if it also could take some of the load of the CPU while encoding! I choose NX85T256H because of its passive cooling system, and that it is compatible with DirectX 10.

The system will be used for a combination of XP (in the future VISTA) and Linux.

Comments appreciated!

Tumlehund

Post by Tumlehund » Sun May 20, 2007 3:24 am

Looks good so far.

If you're not playing any games then the Gigabyte GV NX85T256H is fine. It will offload some of the decoding work from the CPU. If you want to be able to play some games, then the 8600GTS version might be an option for you. Gigabyte makes a passive 8600GTS and MSI as well (e.g. the 256 MB version). If you go for the latter make sure you have enough room.

Maybe take a look at a motherboard with the P35 chipset. It's got a better memory controller, so it might be a better choice.

I'm not sure about your heatsink, I think the Scythe Infinity might be better.

Also I suggest you get a Sccythe S-FLEX 1200 RPM with a FanMate for the SOLO.