quiet dual opteron: how to?

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

johannesRS

quiet dual opteron: how to?

Post by johannesRS » Sun Jul 08, 2007 11:32 am

Hi guys.

Well, I'm in need of some advise for a new machine of my own: my crazzy server.

At the moment, I still running my 939 A64 X2 4200+, that will receive an water cooler for the sake of my ears in the weeks to come.

But I'm a bit more interested in the machine that will take over this one on it's main job (simulations and hardcore calculations): a future dual socket quad opterons (barcellona).

Why that? Well, the advantage of 4 cores of opterons over 4 cores of xeons for my type of caclulation is noticeable: and after the arrival of Barcellonas at their expect TDPs, It's nuts non sense to use kentsfields or similar for the job.

I'm first aiming it on to produce a quiet machine, then I'll see what the people from ecopcreview can do to make it a bit eco at least (but of course they will scream over such a machine! :D ).

On the other hand, as opterons and their MBs are well known for being against almost *any* OC, watercooling becomes kind of too much work for too few to gain. Yes, you can get something out of it but nothing to justify the effort of a water cooling system.

So I need something different. I was thinking on what sort of heatpipes coolers can I use to run such a thing. Unfortunatelly, CPUs AND chipset, as the chipset from an asus KFN5-D SLI is very well known to get a "bit too hot". Also, a good combination of fans that would lead me to silence. But should I use what? Big intake and outtake low noise fans with only passive coolers, or somekind of silent active cooler (with heatpipes, of course... don't see it working without that)? And which ones would be recommended?

After this is set, it becomes a matter of choosing the right PSU, damping case and "soft holding" the HDs. But this other steps are a bit easier to my eyes than the cooling of the two beasts that will be inside the future case. ;)

Any advise on it, please?

johannesRS

Post by johannesRS » Mon Jul 09, 2007 2:04 am

no suggestions or ideas? :(

jaganath

Post by jaganath » Mon Jul 09, 2007 2:27 am

main problem is finding HS for socket F, I only found 2, Coolermaster Eclipse and Mars. Eclipse is probably better. for fans see here, for chipset cooler see here,Thermalright HR-05 (SLI) is excellent.

johannesRS

Post by johannesRS » Mon Jul 09, 2007 2:35 am

Yes I know, it seems that "official" support for the socket is a bit rare from the manufacturers.

But I also seem two cnps9000 series (don't know if 9500 or 9700, thow) over these boards. So, maybe there is some more compability than we expect.

But, if it's not the case, that mean that there is *no* thermalright coolers available? :( neither zalman's?

don't get me wrong: I like coolermaster too. But I also like to have options. :)

johannesRS

Post by johannesRS » Mon Jul 09, 2007 9:22 am

I've found some extra info in here: http://picasaweb.google.com/opteron.delivery

Seems that there are a few issues for installing the thermalright si-128 (what doesn't mean issues for other of their coolers), and pretty instalation for zalman cnps9500 and coolermaster mars.

I still have to get in touch with the guy to know it he could have the thermalright ones to work in a passive mode. But, having this in mind, what would someone here please suggest me as the "way to go"?

johannesRS

Post by johannesRS » Mon Jul 09, 2007 4:15 pm

no comments? :(

Max Slowik

Post by Max Slowik » Mon Jul 09, 2007 4:25 pm

First of all, Barcelona has a lot of on-die power regulation, to the point where it doesn't even need a driver to shut off gates and power down whole areas of the die. It's going to be a pretty cool processor.

Second of all, it's just not available yet. No one can really say what heatsinks will work the best for it. I mean, yeah, hopefully Thermalright and Scythe will make adapters for their heatsinks, in which case, go with them. Historically, Zalman has their kits out first, but they're not the most quiet company out there anymore.

Only waiting can help.

johannesRS

Post by johannesRS » Mon Jul 09, 2007 5:24 pm

thanks a lot! Thats probably the kind of answer I would like to have. :)

Just two more questions: how much of airflow would be needed in a case intake and outtake in order to get the cpus passivelly cooled? And, supposing that the same heatsinks would work for actual opterons (even the high consume ones unfortunatelly) and future Barcellonas, which ones would be a good suggestion?

Thanks a lot in advance! :)

tibetan mod king

Post by tibetan mod king » Mon Jul 09, 2007 6:08 pm

johannesRS wrote:thanks a lot! Thats probably the kind of answer I would like to have. :)

Just two more questions: how much of airflow would be needed in a case intake and outtake in order to get the cpus passivelly cooled? And, supposing that the same heatsinks would work for actual opterons (even the high consume ones unfortunatelly) and future Barcellonas, which ones would be a good suggestion?

Thanks a lot in advance! :)
Get an Antec P190 case (if you can wait, get one without the Antec power supplies). If not the Antec, look at the Stacker 810 or the Thermaltake Armor model with the big fan on the side. This gives you the airflow you need for passive cooling. Then you will need to get heatsinks that work well with the airflow patterns of this case. I would suggest starting with the Zalman CNPS9700 and appropriate clips for your MB. Of course, if you can find the appropriate clips, the Scythe Ninja (and clones) are great for passive cooling in an Antec case.

Other Thoughts: As far as coolers for this, on a mobo that haz a 3.5" pitch you can use almost any cpu cooler from the 940/754/ athlonxp's . amd suggests a volcano7 (but it is a bit old) but im shure the newer ones fit. Im using a tyan s2915 mobo and that has the tab for use with the universal amd type clip and also i tried the cooler from my old athlonxp box cooler(thermaltake-volcano 7) fit just fine. If your mobo has the ability to clip the cooler on then a zalman 9500 for the am2 socket works great(it has the amd clip) hoowever the one for the 940/754/& others dosnnt have the clip. so look at your mobo and see which of the universal cpu coolers will work there are lots of options out there. ;)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductRe ... 6819105023

(and)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6813131038

Personally, though, I would wait until mid-2008 before buying anything based on "Barcelona". What will be shipping this fall is nothing better than beta chips. I have quite a few dual Opteron systems (Socket 940) and know firsthand... do not buy the first stepping chips of a new processor.

There is little point to even getting Opteron Socket F / Socket 1207 today. Wait for real motherboards that have been debugged to work properly with Barcelona. The earliest (and I do mean it) will be early 2H2008.

Good luck.

tibetan mod king

Re: quiet dual opteron: how to?

Post by tibetan mod king » Mon Jul 09, 2007 6:17 pm

johannesRS wrote:Hi guys.

Well, I'm in need of some advise for a new machine of my own: my crazzy server.

At the moment, I still running my 939 A64 X2 4200+, that will receive an water cooler for the sake of my ears in the weeks to come.

But I'm a bit more interested in the machine that will take over this one on it's main job (simulations and hardcore calculations): a future dual socket quad opterons (barcellona).

Why that? Well, the advantage of 4 cores of opterons over 4 cores of xeons for my type of caclulation is noticeable: and after the arrival of Barcellonas at their expect TDPs, It's nuts non sense to use kentsfields or similar for the job.

I'm first aiming it on to produce a quiet machine, then I'll see what the people from ecopcreview can do to make it a bit eco at least (but of course they will scream over such a machine! :D ).

On the other hand, as opterons and their MBs are well known for being against almost *any* OC, watercooling becomes kind of too much work for too few to gain. Yes, you can get something out of it but nothing to justify the effort of a water cooling system.

So I need something different. I was thinking on what sort of heatpipes coolers can I use to run such a thing. Unfortunatelly, CPUs AND chipset, as the chipset from an asus KFN5-D SLI is very well known to get a "bit too hot". Also, a good combination of fans that would lead me to silence. But should I use what? Big intake and outtake low noise fans with only passive coolers, or somekind of silent active cooler (with heatpipes, of course... don't see it working without that)? And which ones would be recommended?

After this is set, it becomes a matter of choosing the right PSU, damping case and "soft holding" the HDs. But this other steps are a bit easier to my eyes than the cooling of the two beasts that will be inside the future case. ;)

Any advise on it, please?
One other thing. The newest QUADCORE DP Xeons are available at 1.6 and 1.86Ghz at 50W TDP. This is very good and will be better than anything AMD will be able to offer in the near future. When Intel moves to 45nm later on this year/early 2008, these same chips are expected to drop to 35W TDP.

Depending on how powerful you want your "server", either one or two quadcore DP Xeons will do the trick. These are good chips and most of the bugs are known at this point. So there are updated BIOS versions, OS update patches, etc.

Unless you are heavily into self-punishment, I would avoid anything AMD other than current Athlon X2 dual-core (AM2 socket). These are the current "best" AMD chips. If you get the right motherboard, you can even use ECC memory with these processors. And the TDPs are quite reasonable... as low as 35W.

If I were absolutely committed to staying AMD, I would put together a super quiet AM2 system (at 35W/45W or 65W TDP) and then look at Barcelona systems in a year.

Otherwise, I would put together a dual Xeon system today and use either 1 or 2 QUADCORE processors at 50W TDP each (that is 25W for two cores!). These low power Xeon processors will be much easier to passively cool than an existing Opteron from AMD that is 89W/105W/125W TDP.

johannesRS

Post by johannesRS » Mon Jul 09, 2007 6:57 pm

hi tibetan, and thanks for both answers! :)

Antec 190, 180 and... 150, is that? are the ones I'm most considering, specially do to the sound damping. Their online support disapointed me, but, whatever. ;)

Haven't got the combo of cnps9700 and passive cooling. And the lack of clips in the scythe ninja scares me a bit.

Thanks for the advice on the steppings... I also dislike theearly ones, but, what to do? the actual xeons steppings are not so "after first" ones too...

Moreover, when it comes to government budgets, you know, they HAVE to be spent before the deadline... :)

Anyway, there is at least one point in getting1207/am2 systems: the memory. Not because it's faster, but rather more because they can be bigger (2Gb are already out). Over that, the compability with the Barcellonas themselves.

About Xeons: I've "met" those low TDP xeons few time ago. Anyway, I'm not going to consider that they have significantly more steppings than the first (they are on the second, am I right?). What pushes me away from xeons, besides the gromacs scaling on them, is cost: mobos, chipsets, even the cpus themselves and memories (evil fb-dimm's) are much more expensive! And by more expensive I mean really more, specially if one can consider the "leaked" starting prices of Barcellonas as true, then they will be about a half of the same clocked same "cored" xeons prices.

So, I should have stated also that "price is an issue, as usual". :)

I'm probably not going to upgrade the server for quad-cores so early: I'll be awaiting for later steppings on "Barcellonas".

tibetan mod king

Post by tibetan mod king » Mon Jul 09, 2007 7:42 pm

The Antec P190 will fit an Extended ATX (E-ATX) board; the other Antec cases will not. I believe Mike at SPCR is also working on a P190 review which should be published soon.

The Stacker 810 will fit those big quad Opteron boards that Tyan makes.

With the CNPS9500/9700, they will not passive cool as well as a Ninja or Thermalright. However, they are a big mass of copper and if oriented properly in a P190, will support reasonable airflow. You may also check and see who is providing heatsinks/clips for the "FX4" systems that are out there. And at the lowest fan setting, they are very quiet, especially inside a damped case (no Al cases).

I agree, if you are making a server with a massive amount of memory, Opteron will cost a bit less due to using ECC REG DIMM vs. FB-DIMM. However, FB-DIMM has great availability due to the massive number of Xeon servers that are made. And the savings of not using FB-DIMMs is small, not large.

Much on what you want to do depends on the "when". The next stepping of the 65nm Xeon has a lot of bug fixes. Even the 45nm Xeons coming late this year will have a lot of bug fixes. Opteron-F today is a very solid chip. But it is nowhere as efficient per watt as a shipping Xeon. And "Barcelona" will be buggy as hell for a year.

If you are content with swapping out a motherboard sometime next year, Opterons are a good choice for servers that need 32GB memory. However in a year from now, will you want to use DDR2 and not DDR3? Maybe not.

But if your needs are 16GB-24GB, then the Xeons are a better choice today.Only the Xeons will enable you to satisfy your other design goals: quiet & low power. And Xeon is quad-core today. So you do get a lot more processing power today.

In the end, as with many things, it is a matter of priorities. AMD's existing chips are very solid, well tested. But they are not energy efficient except for the desktop AM2 socket chips. And so making a lower power passive cooled quiet server will be much harder with existing Opterons.

My own perspective is that our machines are mostly Socket 940. We are going to wait until 2H08 when AMD supports DDR3 with the new design Barcelona chips. There is no point to investing in dead-end technology (DDR2, Barcelona 1.0). The Barcelona that is upcoming this year is just an interim chip so that AMD does not have to declare bankruptcy. Next year's Barcelona will be the real thing.

johannesRS

Post by johannesRS » Mon Jul 09, 2007 10:32 pm

That will be a good review.

Anyway: I'm looking towards a KFN5-D SLI motherboard from asus. From what I can get, it would fit on usual ATX cases at least. :)

So, the CNPS9700 and 9500 are good/bad in terms of noise? :)

Amount of memory: That's the most probable evolution path of the server. I'm already getting happy with the fact that already "it exists somewhere" 8Gb modules. :)

About the mbo, I don't agree on one point: From one side, maybe I can hold its buy until the HT3.0 ones become available, and they will be usefull with actual 1207 chips. On the other hand, if it gets too much to appear, I can keep the board and use with "one future stepping" of Barcellonas. Of course, at the penalty of loosing part of the energy saving properties and HT. ok, I'll have to upgrade it sometime, but its not "mandatory". ;)

I don't really see DDR3 coming over this fast. Really. DDR2 took some time, DDR3 are lowering prices and latencies in a too slow way. Doesn't seem so likely for a really soon future.

In the other hand... you still forgot the cost of actual quad-xeons, and the expected cost of quad-opterons. That's is crazzyness, but the first Barcellonas are going to be out by the same price range that *actual* dual-core ones are in. And that's the price of dual-xeons and a half of quad-xeons. A bit hard to compete and to not consider. BUT, I do agree, the performance per watt from those small xeons are just crazzy... As well their prices, unfortunatelly.

Btw: This is a machine that's going to be build throw the rest of the year. Just began to look for cheap opterons (and begin to loose a few bids on ebay... :P ). That leaves me space room to have everything, and keep holding for future Barcellonas. :) But, considering this time frame, also opens a few extra possibilities... ;)

tibetan mod king

Post by tibetan mod king » Mon Jul 09, 2007 11:40 pm

johannesRS wrote:That will be a good review.

Anyway: I'm looking towards a KFN5-D SLI motherboard from asus. From what I can get, it would fit on usual ATX cases at least. :)

So, the CNPS9700 and 9500 are good/bad in terms of noise? :)

Amount of memory: That's the most probable evolution path of the server. I'm already getting happy with the fact that already "it exists somewhere" 8Gb modules. :)

About the mbo, I don't agree on one point: From one side, maybe I can hold its buy until the HT3.0 ones become available, and they will be usefull with actual 1207 chips. On the other hand, if it gets too much to appear, I can keep the board and use with "one future stepping" of Barcellonas. Of course, at the penalty of loosing part of the energy saving properties and HT. ok, I'll have to upgrade it sometime, but its not "mandatory". ;)

I don't really see DDR3 coming over this fast. Really. DDR2 took some time, DDR3 are lowering prices and latencies in a too slow way. Doesn't seem so likely for a really soon future.

In the other hand... you still forgot the cost of actual quad-xeons, and the expected cost of quad-opterons. That's is crazzyness, but the first Barcellonas are going to be out by the same price range that *actual* dual-core ones are in. And that's the price of dual-xeons and a half of quad-xeons. A bit hard to compete and to not consider. BUT, I do agree, the performance per watt from those small xeons are just crazzy... As well their prices, unfortunatelly.

Btw: This is a machine that's going to be build throw the rest of the year. Just began to look for cheap opterons (and begin to loose a few bids on ebay... :P ). That leaves me space room to have everything, and keep holding for future Barcellonas. :) But, considering this time frame, also opens a few extra possibilities... ;)
Okay, maybe we are in cognitive dissonance :-) I am an Opteron early adopter, have gone through a lot of AMD pain, and really do not wish the same pain upon others. You will get this pain with every new generation of chips. The more change, the more pain.

The board you are selecting is a small gamer-centric Opteron board. It can only support 32GB RAM (4GB x 8 DIMM slots) likely due to rank limits on the DIMMs (there is a certain total per processor). Ideas like 8GB DDR2 ECC REG DIMMs... are just fantasy. The cost on such a DIMM will never be cheap because they will never make them. The cost of a 4GB ECC REG DIMM is not cheap today.

People who are serious about "lots of memory" get boards with more DIMM slots. This way you can add more DIMMs of lower rank, so you will end up with more RAM.

Take a look at this board:
http://www.tyan.com/product_board_detail.aspx?pid=453

You will see 16 DIMM slots. They are there for a reason. Now this is a real server board, not a gamer centric ATX board. Real businesses need lots of DIMM slots so they are not wasting money on super high density DIMMs. That is, businesses that need lots of memory. If you only need 16GB total, then 2GB x 8 is just fine.

Buying a board today for brand new processors whose performance mandated changes on the single socket front... is risky, very risky. It usually takes AMD + motherboard makers about a year to stabilize a platform. Sometimes a little quicker, maybe 9-10 months. There are always changes. I would not buy any Socket 1207 board today unless I was totally happy just getting dual core Opterons and thinking "well, if this never runs Barcelona worth a damn, well, that's okay."

Now back to practical matters:

The Zalman CNPS9700 is a great cooler. Keep the fan speed at low and it is very quiet. The Zalman is one step down from the state of the art. But it is very stable (it is all copper) and will blow its hot exhaust air out of your system if it is oriented properly.

If I were building a "through the rest of the year" system, I would build as cheap as possible. There is just so much great stuff coming out next year that any investment that is not "must must must must have" this year does not make sense.

This means getting ONE quad-core Xeon vs. TWO dual-core Opterons. There is just no point in investing in dead chips. This 1P Xeon board will use DDR2 ECC UNBUFFERED RAM which is cheaper than ECC REG. I would wait until the upcoming price cuts in 2-3 weeks from Intel. You will be getting a quad core Xeon for $250. Well known, tested, supported, etc. The same chip, but slower, is $350 today:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6819117113

You will have a very nice low power system that is 50W TDP for a quad-core. That is great performance/watt.

NOW, if I were buying next year, I would buy a Barcelona SP1 no doubt. The AMD K10 is a great chip, but needs more time to finish cooking. I would buy a motherboard that has been debugged on Barcelona for at least 6 months, ideally 9-12 months. If boards were out that supported DDR3, I would do that for the insane bandwidth you get with DDR3. You do not want to hobble K10 processors. I would also buy a board that has a empty HT3 socket so I can add a Stream Processor.

So that's my crazy point of view. I'm not sure it is very helpful, maybe not even at all helpful.

Thus, in any case, for any processor, I hope you build yourself a great system and have a lot of fun doing it!!! :-) :-)

johannesRS

Post by johannesRS » Tue Jul 10, 2007 2:35 am

If we keep writing books instead of post I guess we will be kicked out here! :)

First of all, let me apologize: I noticed since the first answer that you weren't a "fanboy" for any company. Sorry if I let it look like this somehow. :)

About the memories: sad to hear that! Specially cause if it's true, we getting locked in a memory limit again, too soon if we consider the 64bits limits...

About the board: I think I somehow misleaded the conversation when I've said "server": used the word because it's the usual word available for such strong machines at the lab. I should have said "workstation" (but a strong one!). That and the cost issue leaded me to a cheap mobo where I could also have, if possible but not decisive, ATX form, and quite decisive, good sound (yes, workstations means not only simulations: I may wanna play, listen music and watch dvds on it... :D ).

Lots of memory boards are quite compealling, like sometimes a four socket one is... But they are also quite expensive, and then we are back to the money issue...

I perfectly agree with your considerations on buying. Usually, I would wait. But I got traped for this one exactly in the middle of dust: It's not for now... but the deadline is FEBRUARY! Evil date. That means, choose really wiselly, because you don't know when you are going to be able to upgrade it, and upgrades are always cheapper than new machines, and then the upgrade path should be as long as possible. I see it perfectly coming it I can get an AM2+ board, even if have to wait for a thousand new bios to be able for barcellonas, and pretty well with an AM2 board, since, heck, one day it will work on barcellonas. Intel is going to have a major change, if everything goes on schedule, in about a year and a half the most.

So, zalman cnps 9700/9500 is decided, at least! :D

dual socket for me is definitive. single socket will "lock" me at most 4 cores for good time. dual socket either gives (intel) me octocore possibility, either hopes (amd) me an octocore possibility (considering that the plans for the k10.5 fly, we will be talking about hesadecacore in two sockets in a long future). and, from here, we are again in the problem of the prices of actual dual-socketable xeons and their memories...

UNFORTUNATELLY. Of course, I trust a bit more the path amd has choosen for the long run. But, in the short one, intel would be the choice if not sooo expensive.... :P Specially, as you mentioned, because of their TDPs.

And your point of view is helping me a lot! This is the best conversation I could get on this system project, and came out not from high-performance forums but from a "silent" forum. ;) I can just thank you a lot for all, and really ask, if it's not bothering you, to keep it going! :) Your opinions are the best I could get so far. :)

kittle
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by kittle » Tue Jul 10, 2007 3:44 pm

well i'll add my $0.02 in here...

Ive got a dual opteron 246 system running nicely. Its reasonably quiet for me.
Its setup on a tyan k8we board with a supermicro SC742 case.. neither of which were cheap. but I ultimately got what I paid for.

for cooling I got a pair of CNPS9700NT's. They were nice and quiet compared to the origional HSF, but after reducing other noises, they crept back up -- and they also collected a lot of cat hair. So I went and took the fans off, just unscrew some screws at the base and the fans come off nicely.

The case has a 120x38mm exhaust fan, and 2 internal 90mm fans for air intake and cooling my 2 10k rpm HDs, all 3 run at full speed. so the thing is not "silent" .. but its quiet enough for now, and has enough airflow to keep everything cool.

Temps run low 30s on idle, and 38-42 at load.

for your own system... if you want lots and lots of RAM?
check this thing out:
X7DBE+

not an AMD board, but 64gb of ram goes a long ways

ronrem

Post by ronrem » Tue Jul 10, 2007 6:39 pm

I'd look at the I-Star Nitro case-and add a 22o mm fan in the door. heavy duty case...add some internal padding,suspend HD's...and it's good.

The MOST industrial Mobo/chip/Ram may be a bit of overkill,unless the task is that extreme most of the time. With a side fan the table type coolers are best. Aerocool's Dominator and Coolermaster Gemini are huge---if you can fit 2. Thermalright made their rep with similar heatsinks. By the time you can get a Barcelona-there will be mobo's and heatsinks....of course the first 6 mo the chip is out-the prices will be stiff. Dual Barcelona's should kick butt :roll:

ronrem

Post by ronrem » Tue Jul 10, 2007 6:58 pm

I'd guess you are doing power calculating-yet not dealing with the sort of volumes some on line business might,or a multi-user corporate....

You may be fine with 16 g of "regular RAM, but I'd probably think about a Raptor Raid array so the HD's are no bottleneck. eSATA lets you move SATA drives 6' out of the case. Put them in a wooden box with the air in on the bottom,the out in back-add an 800 rpm fan (splice a molex) and it's a quiet way to mount an array of fast drives.

As Gigabyte has a DDR 3 mobo for sale now,DDR3 will be a likely option when time comes for a Barcelona board. Servers often operate on the basis of 24/7 and the system must never ever go down. You need more of a sports car than a checker cab.

tibetan mod king

doing one thing well vs. doing many things poorly

Post by tibetan mod king » Sat Jul 14, 2007 10:36 am

I think you are trying to 'cover too many bases' with your system. One machine, especially a dual Opteron, is not going to be able to be all things. It is a road to dissatisfaction. Pick what you really want and build something that is great at that. Then build another box. For many many people, two cheaper "agile" boxes >>>> one expensive "heavy" box.

Opterons generate a lot of heat and require a lot of power. They are not HTPC processors by any means. They are not even good processors to think "I will have this by my desk and it will be quiet". Add a few drives to two heavy duty heat monster processors and it is way beyond "not quiet".

And unless you add some 4Gb fibre channel or accelerated iSCSI to your Opteron system, you will need drives. Good fast drives that on their own make noise and heat. And the dreaded foe of anything quiet... vibration. Do not neglect vibration. It is your enemy, triply so if you foolishly decide to use an aluminum case.

By the way, I will draw your attention to reports of Sun boxes that use single/dual Opterons, the Ultra 20 and Ultra 40, and you will find that these machines are loud. Also look at the HP dual Opteron workstations... which HP had to make liquid cooling for the processors to get the noise down. A company like HP does not do liquid cooling for fun. It is expensive and costly to support. But it is the only way to get big hot processors cooled down without lots and lots of noise. So if you are determined to air cool (vs. something like a Zalman reserator), keep this in mind. I will say again, using big hot processors like Opterons, is just making problems for yourself. Expensive problems that take money that could have been spent on better things.

If I were building a high performance Opteron system that I wanted to be reasonably quiet, I would use an Antec P190 case (w/o Antec PS unless Mike's review says they are okay -- I don't know personally) with a real Opteron board (E-ATX). Otherwise, I am getting these nice CPUs with very minimal upgrade possibilities (in terms of slots/cards/etc). As I, personally, have a lot of nice cards, I would like the slots. For instance, high performance Ethernet, iSCSI accelerator, high performance LSI SCSI RAID, 3ware SATA RAID, 4Gb Fibre Channel, etc. This is all server stuff, though, not HTPC.

Though iSCSI is perhaps something from the server world that is IDEAL for HTPC. There is absolutely no reason whatsoever to have anything other than a boot drive (2.5" RAID 1) in a HTPC computer. Forego the RAID if you don't care about reliability. And in the 2.5" world, get SATA drives that are designed for 24x7 uptime, such as Hitachi E7K100s (and newer models). They make a tiny bit of extra noise, but are designed for continuous uptime and for operation in a RAID environment.

The most important element of the case for any sort of machine which generates a lot of heat (like dual Opterons) is the ability to exhaust heat out of the system. With air cooling, you are aiming for ambient. This means any heat build-up is your enemy. So you want to use physics as your ally, not as your enemy. Any case that moves air sideways is not using physics as their friend. They are instead using a lot of electricity, big fans, and often big noise, to move air in a way that, by the laws of the universe, it does not well move.

To use physics as your ally, it is easiest to help heat move upwards. This is why a case, such as the P190 or 1200 (or to some extent, the smaller 900), from Antec, with a big fan on TOP is your friend. You will then "aim" your Zalmans so they blow air upwards. And because you have physics on your side, you can use a lower setting on the Zalman fans. This approach also helps exhaust air from at least the top area of your expansion cards / graphics card (s) which is usually hard to exhaust.

This is all "big processor" talk. Now let us talk about an alternative approach:

For a HTPC system, build a single system that uses a lower power Xeon quad-core processor (or Core 2 Quad). This is a 50W TDP processor that can be cooled with a decent heatsink. It is very easy to cool with low noise vs. a 89W to 120W TDP Opteron. This machine could also double as your own personal PC and will do very well with 4 threads in play.

Unless you are doing lots of rendering, you will not notice 8 threads. All the operating systems shipping today barely can use 2 threads effectively. When you move to quad processor system, you find that they do not use 4 threads effectively. So with quad core, you are still ahead of the curve. If you don't need 4 threads on this HTPC box, then drop down to a real low power box using a dual-core Opteron from the 12XX series. That uses unbuffered ECC DIMMs and can also be cooled nicely (socket AM2, not Socket-F). Make sure this box has a GigE, preferably two. Get two quiet drives for this box and run them RAID1 for reliability.

Your second machine will be a dual core box that you do not care about heat/noise. It will be a real server. You will put this box into some part of your residence that is isolated, so the noise does not bother you. This case will be something like the Antec 1200, 900, Stacker CM 810, etc., that holds lots and lots of drives and intake fans for these drives. Put together a system that takes a single dual-core Opteron (or single quad-core Xeon) etc.

Now leverage software to make this setup really shine. On your HTPC, use an iSCSI initiator (ideally hardware accelerated by an Intel/QLogic board) to talk to an iSCSI target you have setup on your big noisy drive/server box. This will give you "SCSI drives" that run across CAT5e+ cable -- i.e. long cable that you can route/switch. Remember the basic iSCSI initiator does not need anything except an Ethernet connection. So the accelerator card is optional. For HTPC needs, you will not need it, especially if you are running a quad-core Xeon/Core 2.

If you are a good eBay shopper, you can find a nice Intel iSCSI card for $50. All this card does is iSCSI over Cat5e+. And your iSCSI is very sufficient for all uses except for a massive transactional database. Which I hope you are not running on your "HTPC" :-) Remember, iSCSI drives are just drives. They show up the same way as all other drives and software that you use will not know the difference. Your ears will know the difference as your drives will be in another room.

[Note: iSCSI accelerator is for your "server", not your "HTPC". It may not even be needed for your "server" unless you are putting a heavy load on the iSCSI drives. If they are just streaming content and serving a few files, you will not need it.]

For Windows, the Microsoft iSCSI initiator can be downloaded from the Microsoft site and is reliable/stable. For your drive box you can use Windows Server 2003 which supports many very nice iSCSI targets (i.e. iSCSI server).

For Linux/Solaris, there are a number of iSCSI projects. I've mainly used SUSE Enterprise Linux as an iSCSI target as well as Solaris. Both work well. SUSE has iSCSI in the standard distribution which is nice. It is very easy to setup. Solaris works well and uses the incredible ZFS for files (the best data safe file system available to normal people). But Solaris is an awful pain to setup.

So this is some "out of the box" thoughts for you. Remember that you do not have to shoot all your foes with one expensive bullet. Mostly in the world, we buy more cheaper bullets and shoot more times. It is the way of man.

johannesRS

Post by johannesRS » Sat Jul 14, 2007 10:57 am

oh, no, wait! I've told you about the HTPC project, but that's ANOTHER project. By no means it's related to the same machine. They are two machine: the htpc project I've told you in the pm, and the "calculation server or workstation" that is the scope of this topic. ;)

Sorry if I've mixed something. I've mentioned the HTPC just to elucidate the "money restriction". ;)

tibetan mod king

Post by tibetan mod king » Sat Jul 14, 2007 11:35 am

johannesRS wrote:oh, no, wait! I've told you about the HTPC project, but that's ANOTHER project. By no means it's related to the same machine. They are two machine: the htpc project I've told you in the pm, and the "calculation server or workstation" that is the scope of this topic. ;)

Sorry if I've mixed something. I've mentioned the HTPC just to elucidate the "money restriction". ;)
If money is an issue (and for most of is, it is one way or another), I would also focus on making each box, server or HTPC, as good as it needs to be, but no better.

This is important. Over-building is a sure way to waste money. Supporting 8 threads today vs. 4 is wasting money unless you have rendering work that needs to be done yesterday. For any other situation, forget it.

HTPC is much much easier when you do not need big media/content drives sitting in the HTPC box.

A server is much easier when you do not need to make it quiet.

Now a quiet server is a great accomplishment. But the only way you may be able to build such a thing is by watercooling Opterons (or smartly air cooling Xeons) or by putting the whole thing in an iso box. I've experimented with putting a machine in an iso box and it helps. It is not a total solution because you still need some air flow to support cooling.

At the end of the day, on this project, you have to decide on what "is a nice fantasy in your head" and what you really want to spend money on. What exactly delivers TANGIBLE VALUE that you really care about?

For my money over the next couple months, I like Intel's 50W quad-core Xeon for a server processor ($250 soon) and 35W/45W dual-core AM2 for the HTPC ($cheap). If I wanted to go "all AMD" out of religion, I would look at AMD's Opteron 12XX processors for a server because they use ECC Unbuffered RAM (just like a 1P Xeon). I would stick with one processor for each system. This saves a lot of money -- processors, heat sink, motherboard, fans, case, etc. Make sure for your server you find a server motherboard with 2+ PCI-X slots to support all the great cards you can get on eBay for cheap. Stay away from any system that is not DDR2. Stay away from ECC REG vs. ECC Unbuffered because it costs you more, but you get no extra value.

I think I've said all that I can without more input on what exactly you want to achieve.

Smoken Joe

Post by Smoken Joe » Sun Jul 15, 2007 2:10 am

Forgive me for not reading the whole thread. I am not going to get into the intel AMD debate but note one of the big issues with the first opterons were the chipsets. With more mature chipsets there should be far less intro issues. This is more of an evolution instead of a revolution as far as that goes. There was very little wrong with the CPU's themselves infact all problems were often solved with a simple change of MB.

Many heatsinks should be able to serve socket F it appears that it has the same hole configuration as 939. The thermalright 120 ultra extreem would be a great option if it fits. The way the mounting harddware is made if it does not fit stock which it should you should ba ble to make an adapter with minimal effort. I have the ultra(non extreem) and it is a great heatsink with minimal airflow even overclocked. A nexus real silent 120 is more than enough for dual core oveerclcoked. I found minimal diffrence in temps compared to high end watercooling unless I had high voltages.

I would email Thermalright to check they may or may not know at this point.

johannesRS

Post by johannesRS » Mon Jul 16, 2007 8:33 am

Hi both.

First I'll answer tibetan, and just after Joe. ;)

First, the second message from tibetan, as it covers a lot of the first message. ;)
If money is an issue (and for most of is, it is one way or another), I would also focus on making each box, server or HTPC, as good as it needs to be, but no better.
That's really a good advice. Thanks for remembering me that. REally, it's too easy for me to go for the best possible on both, and then having to set loose and making one above my needs, while the other will be under it. :)
This is important. Over-building is a sure way to waste money. Supporting 8 threads today vs. 4 is wasting money unless you have rendering work that needs to be done yesterday. For any other situation, forget it.
Believe me, this is not the only kind of work that can make use of as many threads as possible. ;)

Now, let's see: I really don't know what is an "iso box". I can LATER upgrade the "server-workstation" to watercooling, but not right now. Moreover, I think "quiet" and "silent" has different meanings in portuguese and english, what could have led me to an error: quiet can be a bit more of "as silent as possible, and not a noisy hell at least". Silent is the word that would usually means "no sound, absolutelly". I wanna make the system as possible, as anyone can expect that two cooler processors plus chipset cooler and the case ones will be as noisy as hell!

About the processors: Again, I want dual-socket cuase I wanna take as most as possible from the machines, if not now, in near future. A single socket machine will not go any further than 4 cores. Moreover: In reallity, things get a bit too expensive to get here. The soo beauty quad-core xeon of 250$ would get here at 500$ (yes, still dollars, still have the currency exchange over it) when intel was on its "bad days". In the good days now, it can easilly reach 650$. On the other hand, this leads to a whole bunch of used AMD processors available in the market at low price: we are talking about opterons 2xxx starting at 75$. You have to admit, great deal.

I really don't see any sense in PCI-X. Ok, they are good. They are nice. They are faster. But, also, they are backwards incompatible with usual PCI, as expected, but also has too few options, too few manufacturers, and too few wupport to my taste. At least, relativelly speaking. :) I would rather go with PCI's and PCI-E's in this point.

About the HTPC: Still don't know where to move. I have on hands a P-IV 1GHz available here dispared, or I can get a 1.8GHz turion for 50$. Both systems are single core. I don't know how low I can make the P-IV get with undervolting and underclocking. The turions are good at energy saving, but don't know if the AM2 guys can get it lower than this guy. At this specific point, what would you suggest me? Pick a new, use the used, or pick the used? Remember, cost is and issue, and the prices you are considering for the new ones gets "twiced" here. ;)

About disks: I'm expecting the HTPC would live quite well with one single 250-300 GB disk. The opteron system I'm expecting to use a mirroring of two 250GB-300GB SATAs. Of course, it's not as fast as any new crazzy scsi: but the kind of work I do concentrates itself really MOST of the time in cpu and memory: just a bit of disk access in comparison.

All the stuff you use for the extra slots is not going to have a place on this workstation. Its going to be alone, the most connected to a hub to divide the internet connection, but almost no "conversation" by all means with other machines. SATA raid is onboard or "linux made". scsi things are also "out of the pallete". This leads to2-3 PCI-E and 2-3 PCI would do the job for the years to come. The iscsi is also out because, again, the "server" is much more like a workstation than a server: this means, it can get on for long periods (maybe even a month, I've already did that using full two cores of my actual 4200+), but it's absolutelly NOT supposed to be 24/365. :)

ok, so zallman's will be down up. no problems with that. :) Maybe we can move towards the thermalright guys, but that's another topic as thermalright guys are usually more expensive here than zalman (I mean, REALLY more expensive. Don't try to understand Brazil as we also can't. :D ). For example, antec don't sell cases here. I'll have to ask for them to be imported. 3 times the prices to get here is what I got so far. :P This is why antec's solo once in a while looks more "nice" than the p190. ;)

The HTPC: it's not going to be in the office (there I'll probably have the actual 4200+ plus the "server-workstation" guy. The HTPC is gonna be in the living room, only and specifically for entertainment uses: plyback music and movies, record movies and TV programming, horizontal cased and only remote controled (as expected). IF POSSIBLE: linux powered, gaming only 1% of time or less. So, one of the processors above should do the trick. The question will be *which* one.

Joe: thanks, any info from thermalright would help a lot. :) Also, thanks for elucidating a bit the new processors thing: I'll hope a lot that bios atualization do most of the tricks from the chipsets. Also, of course anyone expects that the first stepping of barcellonas is going to have some issues. I expect, at least, that AMD clean them out much faster than intel is doing with their core2 ones. :P

The biggest question on thermalright 120s is: do they cool down such systems alone, or do them need on (slow pass) fan over each? In the first case, it will narrow the question to cost and if fit in the mobos together. In the second one, it will move towards out of the scene, as the zalmans will be better by all means due to tibetan's reponse on this topic. ;)

Ronrem: you got a bit more of the "server-workstation" application in your last message. :)

One extra question I just reminded: IF cnps: 9700 or 9500?