quiet cpu cooler

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

psymanproductions

quiet cpu cooler

Post by psymanproductions » Fri Aug 10, 2007 6:31 am

hi people,
this is my first post here although ive been coming here for info for about a year.

i need a cpu cooler to cool an athlon x2 (65w version) with slight oc of 200mhz the stock cooler is a bit pathetic (for the 65w procs anyway) and the fan starts to ramp up as soon as i do anything cpu intensive.

basicaly i want a cooler wich can run almost silent, isnt too heavy, will keep an 70-80w cpu under 60.c, provide airflow to the mobo components near cpu and the fan has to be upgradable. wich is why im not going for a zalman.

i need some recomendations because most reviewers other than spcr dont take the noise into consideration and just concerntrate on the coolers ability to cool 150w cpus at full load regardless of noise

ive been looking around and saw the scyhte karma cross. i was thinking about using it with a 12cm fan. prolly s-flex at 500-800 rpm. does any one have experience of what this cooler is capable of with slow fans.

thanks

bonestonne

Post by bonestonne » Fri Aug 10, 2007 7:32 am

[seemingly redundant] you could shoot for a ninja or ultra 120/extreme. however, that wouldn't help cool components around the CPU. recently, theres been word [and pictures] of a new heatsink, the SI-128 SE...

http://www.thermalright.com/a_page/main ... 128_se.htm

that seems like it would be perfect for what you need, however i don't know when its going to be available for purchase. the SI-128 has been out [if you can find it], it looks like it can do the job as well.

tehfire

Post by tehfire » Fri Aug 10, 2007 8:11 am

I would recommend the SI-128SE as well. If you're still worried about weight, you could go with the old XP-90. I have one on an 89W Prescott and a pretty slow 92mm fan and it works great.

psymanproductions

Post by psymanproductions » Sun Aug 12, 2007 7:46 am

well the SI-128 SE looks like the perfect cooler for me but...... no one sells it in england!!! grrrrr!! i will be watching ebay for one. also it seems like its a brand new product so ill wat a few months to see if some uk stores start stocking them.

thanks for the advice people

miahallen

Post by miahallen » Sun Aug 12, 2007 8:12 am

You could also check out the Thermaltake Big Typhoon, a very good cooler (and pretty quite too!).

oakdad

Post by oakdad » Sun Aug 12, 2007 10:21 am

If you are looking for a heat sink the blows down towards the mother board this one looks to be really good.
http://www.frostytech.com/articleview.c ... cleID=2082

psymanproductions

Post by psymanproductions » Sun Aug 12, 2007 3:13 pm

thanks oakland ive seen that one, good performance but too heavy for me... i move my pc around quite often and i dont want to damage my mobo if i drop it or anything... im wanting this mobo to last a long time so i can upgrade to an amd quad core when they come out and maybe even the 45nm quads after that.

psymanproductions

Post by psymanproductions » Sun Aug 12, 2007 3:26 pm

i had a look at the the Thermaltake Big Typhoon but it doesnt support socket am2 its a bit heavy also

does any one know anything about the AKASA AK-875, its cousin the AK-876 got a very good review from frostytech.com.

http://www.frostytech.com/articleview.c ... cleID=2138

i would have gone for the ak876 but it dosent look like it will cool the vrms on my mobo. its impossible to find reviews on the ak-875 but since its the same price as the ak-876 im hoping it will perform similarly to its cousin.

thanks people