Gigabit Switches or routers that support jumbo packets?

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

vortex222

Gigabit Switches or routers that support jumbo packets?

Post by vortex222 » Mon Aug 20, 2007 10:30 pm

Maybe not directly related to silent computing, however this is for the sake of my File server, which is removing a couple of HD's out of my main computer......

Right now the performance of my gigabit network is abysmal under windows, it only performs at ~25mB a second and i heard the best way to increase that is to set Jumbo Packets on to 9K. However upon doing that (on both computers) it lost all connectivity. I figured the fault to be with my DLG 4300 gaming lounge, so i preceded to make a Rollover cat6 cable to test the theroy, and i instantly had ~75mb+ transfer speeds.

That leads to the question, which switches or routers support option?

seemingly.random

Post by seemingly.random » Tue Aug 21, 2007 12:07 am

I have a NetGear GS108 8 port gb switch that claims to support jumbo packets although I haven't tested it. I've been using it for a few months and since the transfer speed is so much better than 100mb I haven't felt the need to tweak it. I don't know the exact transfer speed (how did you determine this?) but it seems as fast as disk to disk in the same pc and faster than copying files to another part of the same disk. All pc's have 2gb ram but it feels fast even transferring 10gb of files. I do reformat/reload the os's on average once a year - could help with disk fragmentation.

vortex222

Post by vortex222 » Tue Aug 21, 2007 9:08 am

I was using a program simply called NetMeter. Similar to DMeter which shows the throughput of all network devices on the computer.

For me a 700mb divx movie takes about 35-40 seconds which isnt to bad, however when its properly setup i have seen them fly by at <15 seconds. It would be nice to get somthing a bit faster when moving DVD images. I read something last night about your perticular switch as well, i think that migh be the one i get as its price is decent.

josephclemente

Post by josephclemente » Tue Aug 21, 2007 6:54 pm

I am using the DLG-4100 router, which is the wired version of the 4300. I don't have Jumbo Frames either.

Here are my speeds with a 10GB file:

Primary computer: Gigabyte P35-DS3R
Secondary computer: DFI Infinity RS482 (using add-on network card)

Transfer initiated by Primary computer:
Read 57.7 MB/sec
Write 42.5 MB/sec

Transfer initiated by Secondary computer:
Read 47.8 MB/sec
Write 34.8 MB/sec

Both computers have Windows Vista Ultimate x64.

The Primary computer is using onboard Realtek Gigabit (PCI Express bus).

The Secondary computer is using an add-on PCI Express controller (Marvell Yukon chip). I've tried other controllers in the Secondary computer (onboard PCI bus Realtek, add-on PCI Express Agere and add-on PCI Realtek) but the Marvell Yukon seems to have the best speeds with this particular computer.

Strange how my transfer speeds are so different depending on which computer initiates the transfer. I wonder if there is anything I could do to improve my network performance without changing hardware...

kittle
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by kittle » Tue Aug 28, 2007 12:59 pm

This is a long shot, but...

I had some REALLY bad network performance when going from an XP x64 box to windows server 2003. The problem turned out to be that server 2003 was digitally signing all the network packets that it sent, causing a huge amount of overhead.
mabye something simmilar is going on with your 2 boxes?

zoob
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by zoob » Tue Aug 28, 2007 2:22 pm