Making q6600 silent [updated] [pictures] [56k warning]

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

elec999

Making q6600 silent [updated] [pictures] [56k warning]

Post by elec999 » Sun Sep 16, 2007 12:20 pm

Making my Q6600 silent.
Currently got a Q6600,
Asus P5B
4x1gig ddr2 800mhz
Ocz 600w psu (kind of loud)
Will be getting 500 aaks, in a skythe silent box.
Cheap Pci express video card no fan.
Cpu cooled by Scythe Ninja Reb B (stock Scythe fan kind of loud)
I want to replace the cpu fan to a silent and good cooling performance 120mm fan, same applies for my power supply.
Anyone can advice of some queitting tips.

Currently looking at Scythe S-FLEX SFF21E, or the Silenx Ixtrema 11dba.
Thanks

BUILD SLIDESHOW

Last edited by elec999 on Wed Oct 10, 2007 5:57 am, edited 3 times in total.

protellect

Post by protellect » Sun Sep 16, 2007 12:31 pm

You might take a look at the "General Gallery" section of the site... there are a lot of similar rigs to what you have listed, and some cool things that people have done to kill the noise.

Otherwise, its always;

~Take out moving parts from a computer [replace a VGA fan with a passive fan]
~ Replace/undervolt noisy fans more quiet ones.
~ Dampen the case

:)

Sounds like replacing the stock fan and replace/fix the power supply fan would be a good start.

bonestonne

Post by bonestonne » Sun Sep 16, 2007 1:26 pm

S-Flex E for 12v operation, S-Flex F for undervolting.

SilenX does not make fans as they claim.

seeing as the system can't be old at all, i can't really say go change parts about it.

the ninja is a plus, i would have used a Seasonic S12 though over Ocz, good board, fast RAM...your Q6600 is G0 stepping? i would hope so.

in your situation, you could buy a new PSU and sell the old one [rather than just buying another one, but changing a fan in a PSU voids the warranty, and no matter how good you are, its not smart to void the warranty. if its out of warranty fine, but not if it has one still.

as protellect said, take a look in the gallery, you'll find some ideas there.

elec999

Post by elec999 » Sun Sep 16, 2007 2:56 pm

I have another power supply 450 watt which is out of warranty, which I can use to make silent, by replacing its 120mm, and also replace the cpu fan should be totally silent. Just not sure what 120mm fans to get.
Thanks

bonestonne

Post by bonestonne » Sun Sep 16, 2007 5:23 pm

You have several different brands you can look at.

Nexus, Yate Loon & S-Flex are among the best. some Panaflow fans are also very good.

S-Flex E models are very good, at 1200rpm, but if you want something you can undervolt pretty far and still get an excellent fan, look into the S-Flex F model. some NMB fans are really good at 7v, but at 12 they're a bit loud.

look at what people are using in the gallery...that's where you'll find everything you could possibly want about silencing your rig.

about the 450W PSU, if you want to use it with a Quad core, just make sure that its amps aren't too low on any specific rail.

elec999

Post by elec999 » Sun Sep 16, 2007 5:38 pm

12 18a, is that strong enough to power my q6600 q0, no overclocking. I have some Yate Loons D12SL-12 are they good.
Thanks

Konnetikut

Post by Konnetikut » Mon Sep 17, 2007 8:23 pm

I have a Q6600 - S-FLEX SFF21E is my fan. D12SL-12s actually aren't really quiet enough for me. If you add a zalman fanmate, it should be okay.

my gallery: viewtopic.php?t=43273

elec999

Post by elec999 » Wed Sep 19, 2007 6:04 am

Do you think the Scythe S-FLEX SFF21D will offer enough airflow to cool the q6600, and the power supply. It is rated 33cfm and 8.9 dba.
Thanks

NeilBlanchard

Post by NeilBlanchard » Wed Sep 19, 2007 8:57 am

Hello,

Please take the 8.9dBA number with a very large amount of salt...it is likely a very quiet fan, but even 18.9dBA would be stretching the truth a bit.

mellon

Post by mellon » Wed Sep 19, 2007 11:52 am

I'm currently running a Q6600 overclocked to 3Ghz with the medium speed Scythe fan at ~600RPM (on Ultra-120 Extreme). Temperatures are just fine, don't go much above 60C with all cores fully loaded. Exhausting from P182 is done by one Nexus fan at 700RPM and a 8800GTS stock cooling. Top vent is about 90% blocked with foam.

All fans except 8800GTS stock fan are inaudible.

elec999

Post by elec999 » Fri Sep 21, 2007 4:35 am

Its not easy to choose a fan. Ill have to take by chance. I will be buying some zalman fanmates as well.
Thanks

Bootay

Post by Bootay » Fri Sep 21, 2007 5:19 pm

elec999 wrote:Do you think the Scythe S-FLEX SFF21D will offer enough airflow to cool the q6600, and the power supply. It is rated 33cfm and 8.9 dba.
Thanks
Yes. I run one on my e6750 and my q6600. e6750 is overclocked to 3.4ghz, q6600 is stock, but both keep nice and cool. And quiet.

smilingcrow
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by smilingcrow » Sat Sep 22, 2007 6:22 am

Don’t forget to under-volt the CPU as the Q6600 G0s are typically stable at under 1.1V at stock speed; that makes cooling much easier.

Nick Geraedts
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Nick Geraedts » Sat Sep 22, 2007 5:42 pm

Regarding the undervolting - I've got my Q6600 G0 at 1.2V (reported by CPU-Z) and running at 3.0GHz (9x333). These chips run very nicely. ;)

elec999

Post by elec999 » Mon Sep 24, 2007 6:52 am

I was looking at the Seasonic S12II 380 watts. This power supply should be quiet, and would it be enough to power my q6600 at full load with seti running all four cores, 24/7.
Thanks

disphenoidal

Post by disphenoidal » Mon Sep 24, 2007 11:36 am

I don't think there are any fans that are truly quiet at 12V. My advice is to stick with your Yate Loons and undervolt them. Scythes won't be any better. And lose that OCZ.

elec999

Post by elec999 » Mon Sep 24, 2007 1:48 pm

Ocz claims to be quiet. I replaced the fan inside my 450 watt power supply today. It is alot quitter, but I cannot truly trust it, since the 12v and 5v rail its staying at 11.71v and 4.75v inside the bios with no load. I can still hear electrical noise from it. Should I get the Seasonic S2 380 watt, how truly silent is that. Is it like OCZ whisper quiet, and then I can hear it.
I also have the option of getting a FSP Fortron Zen FSP300, but is 300 watt enough power to power my q6600. I want this system to be up in my room, and be running seti 24/7, with no noise at all. Unless I put my hear close to it. I am still confused and lost. I was also disappointed when I bought my Wd aaks and ks drives and they are both loud, both when idle and seek, Western Digital claims these drives are whisper quiet. I cannot go with 2.5 inch drives, since they are pricy, and may sacrifice performance.
Thanks

disphenoidal

Post by disphenoidal » Mon Sep 24, 2007 2:45 pm

I wouldn't put too much faith into BIOS voltage indicators. They're not that accurate. If you're satisfied with the noise level, and your system is stable, then just stick with the 450 watt unit. My S12-380 is very quiet, certainly quieter than my hard drives. Personally, I think an S12 is quiet enough that it doesn't make messing around with fanless supplies worthwhile. Every manufacturer claims their products are quiet or silent, but very few are. However, I have heard the ks series drives and really do think they are some of the quietest drives you can get right now. They certainly aren't silent, but no hard drives really are.

elec999

Post by elec999 » Thu Sep 27, 2007 3:10 pm

I undervolted my D12SL-12 to 7v., with the case on, its hard to hear them. I can still hear them if I put my hear close to the case, under complete silent I can hear their low noise. Is it worth getting the S-FLEX SFF21E, and using Zalman fan mates with them. Also my Western Digital 250gig ks is killing me, the noise it makes, it not acceptable. Is there any way around this.
Should I be looking at the
Scythe HDD Silencer Fanless HDD Box Aluminum Hard Drive Silencer for 3.5IN HDD Fits 5.25IN Bay Black
or
Scythe Quiet Drive Fanless Aluminum Internal HDD Silencer Fits 2.5IN or 3.5IN HDD in 5.25IN Bay
One is alot cheaper then the other. I cannot really tell the difference. I am also afraid these will not be enough to block my hard drive noise.
Two links
http://www.directcanada.com/products/?s ... ure=SCYTHE
And my fan
The E is better for the undervolting then the F. Can anyone please confirm this.
Thanks

whiic

Post by whiic » Thu Sep 27, 2007 5:43 pm

Read the thread and several thoughts popped to my mind:
- not necessarily worth the trouble to swap fan to some old out-of-warranty PSU. Switching to low-rpm fan will cut the cooling of the PSU and it's no longer safe to push PSU to the original limits printed on it (if they were real figures that is... some PSUs have ridiculously optimistic ratings). One reason why not to bother it on some generic PSU is efficiency. Generic PSU can reach 70% but unlikely exceed 85%. The difference might appear small but if we take a look at inefficiency (100%-efficiency%), 85% efficient PSU creates only half of the heat.
- I tried numerous fan swaps on 300W Fortron but ended up not liking any of the setups. Red LED Revoltec 120mm fan was best I tried in it (both noise and looks) but I was afraid it'd overheat pretty easily so I swapped to Jamicon, which rattled badly. Original YateLoon was actually the best in noise/performance but I already mounted it as case fan so I was stuck with Jamicon and ended up replacing the PSU with a quieter one, Corsair HX520W. Difference was un****ingbelievable.
-That D12BH-12 removed from Fortron PSU is very undervoltable. I'm running it at 3.6 volts as an exhaust fan. I can tell by the sound character alone that it's designed for high rpm operation. Ball-bearings make a hissing sound (low rpm fans are better with sleeve/oil bearings since reliability is not such a concern). The fact that it's undervolted high-rpm fan does give one big benefit: it just doesn't vibrate at low rpm. (If it did vibrate, even a bit, it'd be extremely awful at full rpm.) Is that D12SL-12 sleeve bearing fan? SL? BH is dual ball-bearing model AFAIK.
- Noctua 120mm fan that came with Noctua cooler is the best fan I've heard (or better yet not heard). It's oil lubricated so it undervolt to inaudible levels. I've heard it can't handle backpressure, though, so you can't use it with tightly spaced heatsinks. It's perfect for a case fan or for Ninja.
- I'm occasionally running my Q6600 at 3.2GHz. That is, when I'm not running it at 2.4GHz undervolted to the very limit of my motherboard. At 3.2GHz temperature stabilized around 60 deg C with fan on Noctua spinning at around 1080rpm. I don't think anything beyond 500rpm a big much difference, though, since Noctua is quite freely flowing. U120E is a bit more restrictive.
- At 2.4GHz undervolted I can run the heatsink passively (reaching mid-50s), even with the unpowered fan attached, increasing airflow resistance. I don't do that though but I've set SpeedFan to gradually ramp up starting from 45 deg C. Usually it stabilized at 30...40 pwm ratio at 47 deg C. At this speed a good-quality sleeve bearing fan will spin inaudible in a system and even whisper-quiet Corsair would appear "noisy" next to it.
- I too had low voltage readings in BIOS and SpeedFan with Fortron. After PSU replacement to Corsair the voltages are slightly above +3.3 +5 and +12. Well within specs of course. Before swap I had below 12volts on +12 and it dipped 0.2 volts extra on Prime95. That told me I'm pushing my PSU a bit too hard. (By this time I had Jamicon fan installed. It's noisier but lower airflow than YateLoon.)

Conclusion: Q6600 can be made quiet. It can even be made near-silent. I'm not sure if my system qualifies as such that but it's close. Pretty darn close for a Centurion case. I was shocked when I first powered it up after PSU swap & further undervolt of YateLoon from 5V to 3.6V.

elec999

Post by elec999 » Thu Sep 27, 2007 9:28 pm

Thanks for all the hard advice. Looks like I need to choose the right power supply now, either a Corsiar or Seasonic, deal done here. My only problem is the hard drive problem. Also please remember this system will be my main computer, but also need seti 24/7 on it. Some overclocking would be welcome.
Thanks

whiic

Post by whiic » Fri Sep 28, 2007 4:06 am

I'll commend on this thread only to keep it simpler.

elec999: "Looks like I need to choose the right power supply now, either a Corsiar or Seasonic, deal done here."

Both made by Seasonic AFAIK. Explains why they are both so good. Corsair 450W VX-series might not be the best because it's fan will start ramp up rapidly after 200W mark. 520W/620W HX-series is notorious from both handling around 300W before any noticeably ramp-up and then starting to ramp up cautiously. I have not heard my HX520W ramp up at all.

Here's a noise graph from VX-series (includes HX and two S12 variants):
http://www.silentpcreview.com/files/ima ... _power.gif

Why VX started ramping up around 200...250 watts instead of claimed 400 watts may be ambient temperature and backpressure of the computer case or optimism. According to the article intake air temp to PSU was 31°C so that probably lowered the ramp-up wattage.

From that graph, Corsair branded Seasonics seem slightly superior to Seasonic branded Seasonics. Biggest difference among them would likely be fan controller and how high it allows wattage to go before ramping up. Linear ramp-up (ZM600, NX8060) or near-linear (S12-430) are noisier on practical loads (150...300W for quadcore system). But I guess that S12-430 may be better today. That was a 2-year-old review the result was taken from. It's probably revised by now. (But don't take my word on it.)

elec999: "Also please remember this system will be my main computer, but also need seti 24/7 on it. Some overclocking would be welcome."

Since you intend to SETI@Home 24/7 and might want headroom for OC, I'd favour HX-series over VX-series. Some recently revised series of S12 might be good too.

elec999 [in a PM]: "It looks like I will be getting a Noctua NH-U12F for the Ninja to cool the psu, and undervolt it using a Zalman fanmate" [quoted from PM]

Noctua NH-U12F refers to a heatsink (with included fan), not to Noctua's fan. They make the fans themselves, unlike most heatsink manufacturers.

Did you mean you'd get the same type of fan supplied with NH-U12F and attach it to Ninja, or did you mean that instead of buying a Ninja you'd buy a Noctua heatsink+fan?

There's one reason why I'd recommend a non-Ninja, or at least not Rev.B Ninja (older revisions of Ninja are better): it's the socket775 mounting equipment. They use the same push-pins as stock Intel coolers. But do remember than weight of all big heatsinks (Scythe, Noctua, Thermalright) is way bigger than maximum recommended heatsink weight as defined by Intel. At least the very least required is to offer some kind of bolt-through equipment and backplate to minimize the effect of overweight HSF. This is exactly what Scythe removed from Ninja when it presented it's "improved" Rev.B.

You can buy Ninja for 60 eur, throw away Scythe fan, buy a Noctua fan for 20 eur and attach that. Or you can buy a Noctua HSF with same fan for 60 eur and save approximately 20 eur in total. Alternatively if you some day want to do some (heavy) overclocking (meaning, heavier than 3.2GHz) you might consider Thermalright U120E and pay 60 eur for it and since it doesn't come with a fan, buy a non-Noctua fan for it. (Remember what I said about Noctua fans only working well as case fans or widely spaced heatsink like Noctua's own or Ninja? U120E isn't like there heatsinks.)

"To cool the PSU"? Do you mean to cool the CPU or do you intend to do a fan swap of PSU stock fan to Noctua fan?

elec999

Post by elec999 » Fri Sep 28, 2007 9:24 am

I am thinking of keeping my current Scythe Ninja Rev B, and buy a Noctua for it. I don't want to spend anymore money on hsf. I am happy with it. And for power supply, the price of the 520w from Corsiar seems a bit high for my pocket at the money. And I don't use heavy duty video card.
Thanks

elec999

Post by elec999 » Tue Oct 02, 2007 6:53 pm

I placed my order today. Cant wait to get this new rig running seti boinc. Ordered the
Noctua NF-S12-1200 120MM Ultra Quiet Cooling Fan 1200RPM 81M3/H 17DBA Molex
together with
Zalman Fan Mate 2 3-PIN Fan Speed Controller 5-11V
and also ordered
Zalman ZM-STG1SUPER Thermal Grease NON-CURING Compound Thermal Compound 3.5G Bottle W/ Brush
and last
Scythe HDD Silencer Fanless HDD Box Aluminum Hard Drive Silencer for 3.5IN HDD Fits 5.25IN Bay Black
hopefully this will make my 250 ks quiet or at least lower its noise at a acceptable level.
I will be posting some pictures, and some notes once everything is complete.
Thanks for all the help from spcr members.

whiic

Post by whiic » Wed Oct 03, 2007 3:29 am

While HX510W is more than enough, the reason for suggesting it was fan ramp up versus wattage. VX450W will be more than enough for it's wattage and if your case temperature is below that of SPCR's test system, ramp up wattage will be higher. VX450W would not ramp up until around 400W if PSU intake = ~20 deg C ambient and there's no backpressure. Basically this means that PSU is not inside a computer.

If you consider HX520W too pricey and consider think you have good case cooling, and don't intend to do very high overclocks, and don't intend to use dual-GPUs, then even VX450W would be very quiet. HX520W is good for computers with high power consumption and HX620W is something I'd recommend only if there's some serious need for +12V amperage (such as spinning up more than a dozen HDDs without staggered spin-up). I wouldn't recommend HX620W to be used at significantly higher constant loads than HX520W because while HX620W can handle more wattage and more current from +12V, it's roughly as quiet or as noisy as HX520W at same wattage. Basically it offers extra 100W and noise level at 520W partial load where HX520W was when it was pushed to the max.

That doesn't of course apply to elec999 who isn't considering HX620W but I see that some SPCR forumists use it. I just wonder why on earth? It's total overkill. I paid 105 eur for HX520W but HX620W would have cost around 150 eur. VX is probably ... 70 eur? Those prices are in Finland and contain 22% VAT.

If you think someone would be willing to buy that OCZ PSU out of your hands, I seriously recommend PSU swap instead of fan swap. Fan swap is good for out-of-warranty PSUs and PSU really needs to be high quality: high efficiency and internal parts rated for high temperatures. (For example, 105 deg C capacitors instead of 85 deg C.)

elec999

Post by elec999 » Fri Oct 05, 2007 4:27 am

whiic thanks for all of your help. I hope my current power supply will do fine for now. If not I am left with no choice then too replace it.
Thanks

ronrem

Post by ronrem » Tue Oct 09, 2007 1:29 am

Just be aware that a high end CPU will always run hotter than a low end CPU of the same architecture. For Intel....the Quads are certainly going to make more heat than the 4300 or other low end core 2's,likewise with AMD chips.
If you skip the OC stuff,and undervolt or try Crystal CPUID,you should get relatively quiet. You also can figure you could look at less expensive PSU's.

elec999

Post by elec999 » Tue Oct 09, 2007 11:23 am

Update all the part are in. First of my silence is a big FAILURE. System loud as it can be.
My power supply is quiet now since mod. The Noctua fan is not SILENT at all at stock speed. The Zalman fanmate does help alot, but at all speed is makes a buzzing sound. The Scythe HDD silencer does get rid of the hard drive buzzing sound, but the hard drive seek noises are still as loud as before. The Scythe barely makes a difference. Makes my case vibrate alot now (cheap case). The Scythe I may say it mght be good for cooling the hard drive (not even sure, didnt test the before and after tempatures). The Q6600 seems nice, Q0 stepping. Didnt test it with seti, since seti project is down. Overclock, tempatures coming next. Might as well overclock since system is still loud.
Thanks

Pictures below

The images with cpu installed and thermal paste on it, is my old celeron 420, not the new Q6600.

jaganath

Post by jaganath » Tue Oct 09, 2007 1:04 pm

The images with cpu installed and thermal paste on it, is my old celeron 420
is that the Celeron 420 based on a Conroe core (65nm)? I would be interested, if you are thinking of getting rid of it.

elec999

Post by elec999 » Tue Oct 09, 2007 1:27 pm

In the end I may get an Antec Solo case. With some Nexus case noise blocking material, and a Seasonic 380watt psu. Also need to replace the hard drive with a more silent one, looking at Samsung hard drives. But then again money doesn't grow on trees. Already way over my budget.
Thanks