CPU Cooler for Q6600 in OrigenAE X11 Case

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Mojo2

CPU Cooler for Q6600 in OrigenAE X11 Case

Post by Mojo2 » Tue Sep 18, 2007 6:58 am

Hi,

I am in the process of upgrading my HTPC, and I need some advice on which CPU Cooler to buy. The particular specs of my upgraded HTPC that are relevant are: -

Case: OrigenAE X11 v2
CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 SLACR (G0 Stepping)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-P35-DQ6 rev. 1.0

I am more interested in function of the CPU Cooler (i.e. how well it cools) rather than cosmetic looks, but I would also like it to be relatively quiet. The only other restriction is that I would like the fan to be PWM controlled (don't mind if I have to buy a fan seperately).

The biggest restriction I have have though is the height of the cooler. The OrigenAE website states that the cooler must not exceed 120mm in height. I do know however that the Zalman CNPS9500 AT fits in, as that was my original CPU Cooler. The height of that cooler is 125mm.

What cooler would people recommend I go for?

Many thanks,

Keith

Gator

Post by Gator » Tue Sep 18, 2007 2:49 pm

Not familiar with your case, but a Thermalright SI-128 SE with a 25mm thick fan is 117mm high.

I've seen reviews that indicate the new SE model is about as good as a heatsink gets. 8)

Another one about the same height is the Scythe Mini-Ninja

I think I would prefer the bolt-through mounting system of the Thermalright SI-128 SE as it seems more secure than the push-pins the Scythe Mini-Ninja uses, and additionally, the Thermalright SI-128 SE is a "blow down" design which will also cool your motherboard's power regulator circuitry.

The Thermalright SI-128 SE comes with clips for any 120mm fan of your choice, if you want a PWM fan I suggest an Arctic-Cooling AF12025PWM, Newegg doesn't carry them but I think Directron does.

With that Gigabyte GA-P35-DQ6 mobo of yours with all the "silent-pipe" bling, you may have trouble fitting a large heatsink due to conflicts with the "silent-pipe" plumbing... the Scythe Mini-Ninja in particular would be very hard to fit, I suspect the Thermalright SI-128 SE would be easier to shoehorn on that mobo, but you will definitly need to remove the mobo from the case to do it. 8)