New quiet PC Setup: Need Advice

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

justin777

New quiet PC Setup: Need Advice

Post by justin777 » Tue Oct 09, 2007 4:13 am

Hey guys,

I'm new to this site and I heard that this is a good place to get help/comments from others so hopefully you guys can help me out. I'm planning on getting a new QUIET computer which will be used mostly for gaming. Here are the parts that I plan on buying:

- Samsung 245BW monitor $500
http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/prodde ... 5Fcookie=1

- Thermaltake Kandalf (black) case $200
http://www.canadacomputers.com/index.ph ... cid=CS.220

- Seasonic S12 650W power supply $150
http://www.canadacomputers.com/index.ph ... cid=PS.808

- EVGA GeForce 8800GTX video card $500
http://www.infonec.com/site/main.php?mo ... &id=309919

- Intel E6750 Dual Core 2.66 GHz CPU $200
http://www.infonec.com/site/main.php?mo ... &id=349885

- Asus P5K-E/WIFI-AP motherboard $150
http://www.infonec.com/site/main.php?mo ... &id=350100

- OCZ Reaper Hpc Edition PC2-6400 DDR2 2GB memory $100
http://www.canadacomputers.com/index.ph ... id=RAM.835

- Western Digital 500GB SATAII hard drive $ 100
http://www.canadacomputers.com/index.ph ... HD.443.877

--> The total is approximately $1900 before taxes.

- What do you guys think about this setup? Is there anything I should change? Feel free to comment on whatever you want. I would like to hear from all you experts. Thanks.
Last edited by justin777 on Tue Oct 09, 2007 4:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Solid Snake

Post by Solid Snake » Tue Oct 09, 2007 4:59 am

I'm not sure how quiet that setup will be. It seems geared towards gaming more than towards quiet operation, which is fine as long as your expectations are realistic. Also, your links don't seem to work right. I can't see the described components.

I can't imagine why that setup would cost you $1900. Either you're getting ripped off or you're trying to put together a bleeding edge machine. Unless you've got money to burn, I'd stay away from that point in the price/performance curve. It's likely to lose $200 in value in the time it takes to arrive at your door. :oops:

Aris

Post by Aris » Tue Oct 09, 2007 8:29 am

monitor and case are of a personal choice, they dont really contribute to system noise. Although it would probably be easier to keep the system quiet with a more quality case like the antec solo/p150.

the PSU you chose is way more power than that system ever will need. The 450w corsair would still be plenty of power. Id say that system would draw in the neighborhood of 200w, maybe a little more, but never more than 225w. So even with 450w, you'd only be pushing it to around 50% load.

Everything else is fine, although you should probably invest in the thermalright HR-03 Plus for the video card. And put a ninja on the CPU, with scythe s-flex 1200 rpm fans or nexus fans all around undervolted down to around 9v. If you need a 92mm fan for the vga heatsink, go with a nexus.

Should be fairly quiet if done right.

justin777

Post by justin777 » Tue Oct 09, 2007 4:31 pm

thanks for the comments

to Solid Snake:

sorry about the links, i fixed them and added prices to it all. these are the lowest prices i can find so i dunno why you think i am getting ripped off. tell me where i can get better deals please. maybe u missed that i included the monitor or sumthing. also, what in the list isn't good value besides say the video card - the reason i'm getting an expensive one is because it's a gaming pc with which i intend on using high resolutions. i dont wanna cheap out the video performance and have laggy games anymore. lol

to Aris:

first of all, i read many reviews on the kandalf which sounds more than just a quality product and supposed to be quiet too. for the power supply, i was told that the video card i am getting uses a lot of power so that's why i'm getting 650 W. rite now, i do have a seasonic 430 W - do u really think that is enough power for this system? unfortunately, i dont think it is compatible with the video card however because it needs 2 pci-e connectors i read. as for the cpu, i already have a thermaltake blue orb II which is quiet and if the video card fan is too loud, i will have to go for the thermalright HR-03 Plus like you said. for the case fans and ones that i might add (2 silenx fans), i will use the motherboard's fan management to undervolt all the case fans.

by the way, wats the quietest 120 mm fan on the market? i tried silenx which was supposed to be good but they were very loud...

ronrem

Post by ronrem » Wed Oct 10, 2007 7:25 pm

Be sure to see what RAM voltage that Mobo can accept....and what volts that RAM runs at. Some new boards won't do RAM beyond 1.8 V,others are 2.0v or less. However....some RAM runs at 2.2v. They won't mix well....not at all.

tsmvengy

Post by tsmvengy » Thu Oct 11, 2007 11:27 am

Solid Snake wrote:I'm not sure how quiet that setup will be. It seems geared towards gaming more than towards quiet operation, which is fine as long as your expectations are realistic. Also, your links don't seem to work right. I can't see the described components.

I can't imagine why that setup would cost you $1900. Either you're getting ripped off or you're trying to put together a bleeding edge machine. Unless you've got money to burn, I'd stay away from that point in the price/performance curve. It's likely to lose $200 in value in the time it takes to arrive at your door. :oops:
I don't think he's getting ripped off - prices in $CAD and the monitor is $500 - something we don't usually count.

MikeC
Site Admin

Post by MikeC » Thu Oct 11, 2007 11:43 am

CA$=US$ these days. In fact, the CA$ has been hovering slightly higher. Or more to the point, the US$ is in the basement.

Felger Carbon

Post by Felger Carbon » Thu Oct 11, 2007 11:57 am

MikeC wrote:CA$=US$ these days.
Except when the Canucki buys an automobile... :D

justin777

Post by justin777 » Sun Oct 14, 2007 3:09 pm

you are right the two dollars are very close now...

anyways, how can i tell if the motherboard i picked supports the memory i mentioned? i checked the memory and it says 2.1 Volts (2.4 Volts). i checked the asus site, but i couldn't find it... does anyone know?

also, do u guys have any other suggestions/comments for this setup?

for example,
i was thinking of getting the seasonic m12 instead of the s12. is there any difference besides wattage and modular? i wanted to get a modular power supply but it's like $50 more just for that...

rpsgc
Friend of SPCR

Post by rpsgc » Thu Oct 18, 2007 2:40 am

justin777 wrote:you are right the two dollars are very close now...

anyways, how can i tell if the motherboard i picked supports the memory i mentioned? i checked the memory and it says 2.1 Volts (2.4 Volts). i checked the asus site, but i couldn't find it... does anyone know?

also, do u guys have any other suggestions/comments for this setup?

for example,
i was thinking of getting the seasonic m12 instead of the s12. is there any difference besides wattage and modular? i wanted to get a modular power supply but it's like $50 more just for that...
Asus Vdram: 1.8-2.15V in 0.05V increments.
Personally I wouldn't buy that motherboard. See here and here why (and before you ask, the P5K-E Wifi is just a renamed P5K Deluxe). My personal favorites are the P35 Gigabytes or the Abit IP35 Pro.

About the PSU, if you want modular why not a Corsair?

justin777

Post by justin777 » Sun Oct 21, 2007 9:00 am

thanks for the info. can you recommend a P35 Gigabyte motherboard for me? the one i found (Gigabyte P35-DQ6) is quite expensive. anything around $150 and better than the p5k-e? i dont mind if the asus takes up more power, i care more about performance.

rpsgc
Friend of SPCR

Post by rpsgc » Sun Oct 21, 2007 9:29 am

justin777 wrote:thanks for the info. can you recommend a P35 Gigabyte motherboard for me? the one i found (Gigabyte P35-DQ6) is quite expensive. anything around $150 and better than the p5k-e? i dont mind if the asus takes up more power, i care more about performance.
Have you looked at the P35-DS4? If you really don't care about power consumption then the P5K-E WiFi is a good choice.

justin777

Post by justin777 » Sun Oct 21, 2007 11:34 am

the P35-DS4 looks good, but does it have a feature like Q-Fan that Asus has for lowering system noise through the case fans?