Do I need any fans?

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

zhimsel

Do I need any fans?

Post by zhimsel » Mon Dec 31, 2007 7:05 pm

Someone asked me to post this here:

Hope you enjoy, and any advise will be welcome...

zhimsel

Post by zhimsel » Mon Dec 31, 2007 7:06 pm

jackylman

Post by jackylman » Mon Dec 31, 2007 7:27 pm

Oh, also: I have an ASUS M2N-X AM2 nForce 520 MCP and an AMD Athlon 64 LE-1600 2.2GHz (AM2 Socket)
What video card, HD and PSU do you have? The CPU should be very easy to cool quietly with a tower heatsink and a quiet 120mm fan running on 5V.

bonestonne

Post by bonestonne » Mon Dec 31, 2007 7:28 pm

is that it? do i need fans?

no. technically speaking, you don't need any fans, but if you're to build even a remotely successful build lacking fans, you'll need to make sure that you either have adequately sized heatsinks, or that you're placing the computer in an area that temperature will be controlled without fail. if you use low wattage processors and equipment, then simply using larger heatsinks designed for something much more intensive will prove beneficial to running fanless system.

however

in a conventional mATX or standard ATX computer case, where you have a standard power supply containing either 1 or 2 80mm fans or even a 120mm fan or even 140mm fan, as well as a fairly high wattage processor which will require active cooling, running a system without fans can be dangerous, if not completely stupid. computers such as dells survive with one or two fans in the entire case because of the way they're designed, not to mention the fact that Dells rarely use standard heatsinks or cooling methods.

if you want to run fanless, its not exactly an easy task, at least one fan is needed to do something with the hot air in the system rather than letting it just sit.

you have cases like the Zalman TNN-500, which is completely fanless, but the entire case is the heatsink. with something like that, fans aren't needed, it would take a lot to heat up the case to the point where a fan is needed.
------------
after looking at your link, i think the problem lies within your BIOS. have you set Cool 'n' Quiet? i can't say AMD ever sold processors with what you could loosely call quiet fans on the heatsinks.

i don't want to sound mean, but do you have ancestors in the form of sheep? do what the leader says/does? if computers could cook your brain like that, i'd be long gone, i set up test systems in my room and half the time i'm holding them. grounding is properly achieved how you have it though, everything is grounded through the motheboard, and the ATX power cable etc and so forth. BUT the hat is completely unnecessary, and i'm fighting the urge to send the pic to everyone i know.

to put it in short, unless you want to kill the system you've got, you're gonna need some fans in the case. most cases come with at least an exhaust fan, depending on the case sometimes more. Antec makes good stuff, so do many other companies, but the case is yours to choose. having it hang from a wall is slightly dangerous though, it could fall, or get ESD straight from the house. very possible, and then all your money will have been wasted.

walle

Post by walle » Mon Dec 31, 2007 8:48 pm

Great new years read this is, please...carry on :lol: