My HTPC project

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

eh

My HTPC project

Post by eh » Wed Jan 16, 2008 5:12 am

I have been in the mental process of building a HTPC for a couple of years now, but finally I'm more or less on the way in the physical process of buying the components.

Specs (updated as I get more information):

Case: Silverstone LC04S
PSU: Seasonic SS-300TFX
80mm case fan: Papst 8412NGLE

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-EG45M-DS2H
Processor: Intel E5200
Processor heatsink: ???

HDD: ???
ODD: ???

OS: Linux (probably Ubuntu/Mythbuntu/Elisabuntu (there is no such thing (yet?), I know))

I began with buying a cheap second hand motherboard which I had been considering earlier, DG965OT. Unfortunately I missed the bit of information about it only having a VGA video connector, so it may be replaced sooner than later.

Then I got a discounted LC04 which is really nice, except that it doesn't have a power supply (which is why I got it for 70 €). It seems to hard to find any TFX PSU's in Finland, let alone any silent/efficient ones. Sea Sonic has a new TFX PSU which would probably be perfect, but I can't find a dealer for it in Europe.

The fact that the case doesn't let me use any of the PCI slots of the DG965OT without an extra hassle (flexible riser cards?) pretty much seals the deal: I'm getting another mobo. The specs of Asus P5E-V HDMI seems really nice (there are some issues with the drivers, but they're being fixed) and by looking at the pretty pictures it looks like I could actually get both the PCI-E and a PCI slot to use with it.

The case needs a 80mm intake fan which apparently doesn't have to be too powerful. I've been reading nice things about Noctua's, so maybe it'll be a NF-R8.

The processor will probably be just about the last component I'll buy (unless I get a great deal somewhere before that), but it will definately be a Core 2 Duo, so I know which cooling solutions to look at. The SPCR article on LC04 showed some promising results with a "blow up" type of heatsink, so I'd like to get one which is capable of being used that way as well. Apparently certain Thermalrights are, but can I fit any of them (XP-120, XP-90 or SI-128 (SE)) in LC04?

The Silverstone LC06-Lite also seems like an option, but I haven't found anything on using it in a "blow up" configuration. It would of course be possible to completely forget about it and go for a more common solution, but I'd at least like to try...

As I'm simultanously building/buying a NAS server, there's no need for storage in the livingroom. I'd like to get a SDD, but at the moment the prices are still a bit too high. The plan B is to use a 5400 RPM laptop drive with a 3.5"" enclosure.

As the case has an 5.25" bay, it would be natural to use it for a DVD drive. However, I'm worried about the noise that it'll cause in an aluminum case. I'd like to use a slim slot-in drive, but there doesn't seem to be any 5.25"-to-slim-sound-dampening-enclosures on the market. An external DVD drive is also an option, and it would be nice to use the 5.25" bay for something completely different.

Then there's usual peripheral mess, but as they are typically pretty much silent, I'll look for advice on them elsewhere ;-) At the moment I'm most concerned about the PSU and the processor cooling, so any suggestions on those are welcome. And, of course, on any other part of my planned configuration.

A note about shopping tips: I prefer to buy components from local stores, but I know that for some parts (foreign) online stores are the only option. (The transcontinental shipping costs plus taxes and customs are a bit too much, so no US stores please :-).
Last edited by eh on Thu Jun 04, 2009 3:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

eh

Post by eh » Mon May 11, 2009 1:40 am

I finally purchased a replacement motherboard (see above). I also got the SeaSonic PSU I was dreaming about, so now all the hard parts are covered, methinks.

Some things I still need advice on:

* Processor heatsink

The case a low-profile one, so I'm not sure what fits in there. Any advice is welcome.

* Optical drive

thejamppa
Location: Missing in Finnish wilderness, howling to moon with wolf brethren and walking with brother bears

Post by thejamppa » Mon May 11, 2009 5:10 am

If you don't have CPU yet, E5x00 or 7x00 will go nicely into that motherboard. Scythe Shuriken is quiet, effective and lowprofile cooler. You can get also Arctic Cooling Alpine's from verkkokauppa.com for less than 11€'s ( Alpine 7 is excellent cooler budget cooler ) + postal feeds. Both are low profiles.

And for 80mm Fan, I whole heartly recomend Nexus 80mm instead Noctua. Don't pay premium when you get ( IMHO ) better fan half price.

Riffer

Post by Riffer » Mon May 11, 2009 6:02 am

I just installed a system in a similar old LC-11s and would provide the following recommendations:

1- Make sure the riser card will work with your board. I knew that the one with the LC-11s does not work with current boards, so I made sure I used a board that had everything I needed.

2 - I didn't know it at the time, but somewhere in the instructions or net Silverstone had the maximum height for the HSF. It was 75mm for the LC-11s. Fortunately, I had estimated well, and had ordered the Nexus LOW-7000 which is 70mm.

3-I am using the Silverstone ENP-2224B PSU that came with the case for now, with adapters. If it doesn't work out, I will be going for the SeaSonic SS-300TFX like you listed.

eh

Post by eh » Tue May 12, 2009 8:44 am

Riffer wrote:1- Make sure the riser card will work with your board. I knew that the one with the LC-11s does not work with current boards, so I made sure I used a board that had everything I needed.
I got AGP and PCI risers with my case, but I'm planning to purchase RC02 from Silverstone. I'm not sure I'll use the PCI-e slot for anything, though.
Riffer wrote:2 - I didn't know it at the time, but somewhere in the instructions or net Silverstone had the maximum height for the HSF. It was 75mm for the LC-11s. Fortunately, I had estimated well, and had ordered the Nexus LOW-7000 which is 70mm.
This is something I've been looking to LC04 but the information doesn't seem to be available anywhere. Height isn't the only issue here, there isn't much space for heatsink even horizontally. I'll try to make some measurements as soon as I get motherboard...

Nexus LOW-7000 looks like a nice option for me as well, if it fits, that is.

Riffer

Post by Riffer » Tue May 12, 2009 3:44 pm

eh wrote:....
Nexus LOW-7000 looks like a nice option for me as well, if it fits, that is.
Fan whines a little at low speed in my testing. Not too bad, but I am considering replacing it.

eh

Post by eh » Thu Jun 04, 2009 3:38 am

Ok, I got my motherboard and bought the processor and case fan. I've been able to test the setup briefly, but I still need to buy some parts.

Processor cooling is of course the most important thing, the Intel stock fan makes way too much noise. I'm leaning towards Scythe Shuriken right now, but am still open to suggestions.

SSD prices still aren't where I'd like them to be, so I think I'll settle for a small laptop drive for now. Something quiet and cheap would be nice, I'm not too interested in performance or capacity.

I'd like to get a blu-ray drive, but it's not a high priority right now. It is much more important for the optical drive to be quiet when playing DVD's. I'd still like to buy a slim laptop drive and use some kind of enclosure around it, but I'm not interested in building that enclosure myself.

eh

Post by eh » Thu Jun 04, 2009 5:39 am

Oh, and one more thing. The motherboard came without a I/O shield, so I'd like to find one. (On this side of the Atlantic, if possible, the one on eBay costs 15$, but the shipping costs double the price.)

Riffer

Post by Riffer » Thu Jun 04, 2009 6:12 am

eh wrote:Oh, and one more thing. The motherboard came without a I/O shield, so I'd like to find one. (On this side of the Atlantic, if possible, the one on eBay costs 15$, but the shipping costs double the price.)
email the manufacturer and have them send you one for free.

eh

Post by eh » Fri Jun 05, 2009 4:44 am

Riffer wrote:
eh wrote:Oh, and one more thing. The motherboard came without a I/O shield, so I'd like to find one. (On this side of the Atlantic, if possible, the one on eBay costs 15$, but the shipping costs double the price.)
email the manufacturer and have them send you one for free.
Emailed them, not sure that'll work though...

I was thinking about the optical drive. Could it work if I bought a 5.25" dual bay, but instead of using the other drive slot for a second drive, would use it to silence the sound produced by the first one by stuffing some sort of dampening material in it?

Riffer

Post by Riffer » Wed Jul 15, 2009 3:52 pm

Just wanted to know the progress of this build.

I just moved my music server onto my Audio Stand and the LC11s is too deep and, well, silver. I'm thinking of getting a LC04 myself and wanted to know what CPU cooler was used in the end. I am not sure the Nexus Low I am using now would fit.

I swear I saw a thread somewhere with this exact issue, but I can't find it anymore.