could the CPU be passively cooled with a heatsink?

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

anabellita

could the CPU be passively cooled with a heatsink?

Post by anabellita » Wed Jan 23, 2008 10:58 am

I have just changed the case fan to try to quiet down my computer... result: yes, it's quieter, but now I'm suffering from the HSF :( . Do I need to change it or could I just passively cool the CPU with a nice heatsink?

system is:

AMD Athlon64 3200+ Venice
MSI K8NGM2-FID
2*512 MB Kingston KVR DIMM SDRAM-DDR DDR400 (PC3200) CL3.0 2.5v
dvdr pioneer 107D
dvdr samsung super-writemaster sh-s202
a floppy drive
2 maxtor diamond9 HDDs (one is 80GB the other 160GB) - yes, will eventually change these too :roll:
Arctic-Cooling Silencer 64 Ultra TC
noctua nf s12

thanks!

QuietOC

Re: could the CPU be passively cooled with a heatsink?

Post by QuietOC » Wed Jan 23, 2008 11:04 am

anabellita wrote:I have just changed the case fan to try to quiet down my computer... result: yes, it's quieter, but now I'm suffering from the HSF :( . Do I need to change it or could I just passively cool the CPU with a nice heatsink?
No problem passive cooling a A64 3200+ with a Ninja. You should also be able to undervolt that processor some (down to 1.3V or so) which will help.

anabellita

Post by anabellita » Wed Jan 23, 2008 11:36 am

thanks for the reply :D

good news! :D :D

this will also work if (*if*) in the future I add another 2 HDDs and/or a GPU?

and more importantly, a ninja will fit, won't it? I'm having trouble managing the cables as is... :roll: perhaps a mini-ninja? :?

thejamppa
Location: Missing in Finnish wilderness, howling to moon with wolf brethren and walking with brother bears

Post by thejamppa » Wed Jan 23, 2008 12:24 pm

You should be able to cool that system easily with Thermaright HR-01 cooler. But Ninja is better in passive use, albeit can have more problems in installation than HR-01 K8.

Bugsi

Post by Bugsi » Sun Jan 27, 2008 3:43 pm

I don't know if a Ninja will fit your case (what is your case?) -but from reading your post, my immediate reaction was "I'm not familiar with your Arctic-Cooling CPU cooler, but if I've learned anything since catching the quiet computing bug, it's that the technology in CPU coolers should enable you to pretty much eliminate the CPU cooler as a serious source of noise in a computer. The general rule is to go as big as you can in surface area, and if you need to, slap a big, slow fan on it. A Ninja with a 120mm scythe fan at slow speed should knock out CPU cooler as a noise source for you.

But if a Ninja or a Minja won't fit, there are many other good brands and models that can do the job. I've found that selecting a cooler that fits your case is often the hardest part. A little trial and error is in order, and don't forget to pay attention to cable routing. Sometimes I've had to modify stock cables to lengthen a power supply cable or two, and longer ATA cables and origami-folding can help run cables around the sides of cases without impeding the airflow in the case. SATA makes that a little easier these days.

Definitely take advantage of technology, -don't be afraid to spend a couple bucks, the benefits are there, and you can usually re-use a good CPU heatsink if you upgrade motherboards if you choose models that are compatible with lots of different socket mounts.

Zalman, Thermalright, and Scythe are top brands that offer excellent solutions with lots of surface area and can support large, slow fans if you need some extra cooling with minimal noise.

Good Luck!

anabellita

Post by anabellita » Sun Jan 27, 2008 11:18 pm

thanks for the tips! :D

I was, in fact, somewhat concerned about the size of the ninja... and its weight! :shock: not sure the MB will hold 750 g without the heatsink tearing it down :roll:

My case is an Antec P150, so the MB is "standing" so to speak... the idea of the huge chung of metal just hanging off the motherboard doesn't really appeal to me... but I may be a bit too paranoid :oops: In any case, fact is that my 8 cm circa arcti-cooler is already creating trouble for the cable managing, as it seems to always be in the way... thinking about 16cm really does make me uneasy:roll:

I've tried cable managing. I used to have the cables stuck on the bottom of the PSU.. but now, with the seasonic, that is where the PSU fan is, so I have no choice but to have them kind of hanging in mid-air... they're all tied together, but they're still in mid-air. I have to get a few more ATA cables anyhow, so I'll see about getting them longer. My next HDD will be SATA, so, as you say, it will be easier. For now, my (very) old HDDs seem to be doing their job, so I'm a bit reluctant to let them go...

As for upgrading... yes I'll slowly be doing that.. but I really don't see myself having more than one PC around the house (unless one is a notebook), so the idea of using a second motherboard in the near future is a bit far removed....

FlorisNielssen

Post by FlorisNielssen » Mon Jan 28, 2008 1:50 am

You know that with the P150, you can route the cables next to the HD-cage. There are hooks there and you can push many cables around it.

Furthermore, behind the motherboard (between the case door and motherboard tray), there's space to route a few cables (that thick ATX-cable) to get them out of the way.

I also own the P150 (I've still got the NeoHE 430 with it though and that one is modular) and I don't have any problems with cable management.

nutball
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by nutball » Mon Jan 28, 2008 2:01 am

anabellita wrote:thanks for the tips! :D

I was, in fact, somewhat concerned about the size of the ninja... and its weight! :shock: not sure the MB will hold 750 g without the heatsink tearing it down :roll:
People worry about the weight of the Ninja too much I think. A lot of the mass is in the base, so is quite close to the motherboard. The overall lever effect isn't as great as you might think.

NeilBlanchard

Post by NeilBlanchard » Mon Jan 28, 2008 4:58 am

Hello,

For the Athlon 64 3200+ "Venice" you do not need a Ninja in order to passively cool it -- at least if there is a case fan. The Mini Ninja would be plenty, and even the Zalman 7000 Al/Cu would be able to do it, especially if you can undervolt the CPU and control the fan.

Jipa

Post by Jipa » Mon Jan 28, 2008 11:59 am

I used to have a S939 3000+ (dunno the name of the core..) and I ran it passively with Thermaltake Sonic tower. I think you could crab one of those for cheap now.

There was a 120 mm quiet fan on the back of the case and the PSU was sucking air from the CPU. Can't remember the temps, but they were well within comfort zone.