Advice on new system being built

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

JamiLeeD

Advice on new system being built

Post by JamiLeeD » Thu Jan 31, 2008 6:33 am

I am building a new system, but want to make it as quiet and cool as possible (although, I don't feel like I'm up to tackling liquid cooling). I also want to salvage as much as possible from my old computer - which is very loud now, as one of the case (Antec Plus AMG1080) fans seems to be in constant overdrive now.

The parts I am salvaging from my old system (or I wish to salvage if possible - some of them are old and not as needed, but still work, so I would like to keep them around):
  • Earthwatts EA500 power supply
    ZIP 100MB ATAPI/IDE drive
    generic 3.5-inch floppy drive
    300 GB Seagate PATA
    300 GB Seagate PATA
    Benq DQ60 DVD drive
    TDK VeloCD 52X CD drive
    Creative Soundblaster X-Fi Fatal1ty
    Microsoft Comfortable Curve
    Microsoft Intellimouse Explorer
    Dvico Fusion HD 5 Lite PCI card
    generic 7c monitor
    ATA expansion card
The new system has these parts already bought that I will use:
  • Intel Core2 Quad Processor Q6600
    Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3R revision 2.1
    Seagate SATA 750GB
What I need recommendations on are a new (PCIe) video/graphics card, a new case (with lots of USB ports), RAM and a cooling system. As stated above, my goals are for something as quiet and cool as possible (as my current system is pretty loud - mostly due to the one rear case fan with a mind of it's own). My system won't be for heavy gaming, but a lot of tasks (word processing, some recording of OTA HD channels, et al). My parents and sister both have Dell systems which you can hardly hear, and though I realize that kind of level isn't realistic with my planned system, I'd like to get close to that level of quiet. I've looked online at reviews, but everyone has a different options of good cooling and cases.

Thank you, ahead of time, to everyone and anyone who can help with figuring out these last parts.

FlorisNielssen

Post by FlorisNielssen » Thu Jan 31, 2008 7:13 am

Welcome to SPCR!

About the case: how many USB-ports do you need? Most cases provide 2 (and often a Firewire or eSata and audio ports).
If you need more a lot cases will be out of the question. Unless you install an extra front USB-thingie. A media card reader often offers some USB-ports. Probably two.
But if you want to keep your floppy drive it probably won't work.

Anyway: Antec is highly appreciated here. The Solo/Sonata Designer or the P182 is often recommended.
I've got the P150 (same as the Solo) and I really like it.
Do you want te expand your HD-collection? You are going to use 3 now, I presume, and with a Solo, the HD-suspension it has will be at it's max. You can mount the drives (four at max) on silicon grommets though.
If you want more, you'll probably want the P182.

If you've got more money to spend you could also look at a Lian-Li (don't know a lot about them). They should be good at making quiet. Very modable.

JamiLeeD

Post by JamiLeeD » Thu Jan 31, 2008 8:38 pm

As for USB ports, I was hoping for more than two (mostly because, looking at my parents Dell system, it has something like eight). I'm guessing most regular cases out there don't include quite so many. Well, that's not so important.

My brother recommends Antec, and my current Antec was good until the fan started crapping out (or whatever is wrong with it). It's always been a little noisy, so if I can go for less noisy in any way, that's a good thing. I should also mention, this is a bedroom system.

Ideally, casewise, I'm looking for something that will be:
1. cool
2. quiet
3. fit all the stuff I want to try and throw into it. Right now that looks like items that fit the following: expansion slots (7), 1 3.5-inch internal drive bay, 3 5.25-inch internal drive bays, 3 items that could go in either 5.25 or 3.5-inch internal drive bays and 1 item for a 5.25 or 3.5 external drive bay.

JamiLeeD

Post by JamiLeeD » Sat Feb 02, 2008 7:27 am

I've been looking at the Antec 900. Would it have room (drive bay-wise) for the two optical drives, the floppy and ZIP and the three hard drives? Also, anyone know anything about the 900 and how loud it is?