What? Can't load Bios?

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

trib

What? Can't load Bios?

Post by trib » Wed Feb 13, 2008 4:59 pm

Hello! I've been lurking here for quite some time (months), doing research for my first computer build, with an emphasis on silence for DAW applications.

So with all my research I finally decided on a configuration that would be relatively cheap (but still not cheap, haha), without sacrificing power...

Vital stats:
Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3L (Rev. 2.0) MoBo
E8400 CPU
Corsair XMS2 DDR2 800MHz (2x2GB) - TWIN2X4096-6400C5 G
Corsair HX520 PSU
MSI MX8400GS GPU

I assembled everything in an Antec P182b, and (the moment of truth!) pushed the power button. At first I was relieved, as the fans started spinning, the hard drive light lit up, and the system appeared to be working... But my elation was premature, as the system simply hung up on the Gigabyte logo screen. Pressing DEL to access the BIOS did absolutely nothing! In fact, nothing did anything... I couldn't get to the POST screen, Q flash utility, or anything else.

I tried three different keyboards which I know to be in working order, one PS/2, and two USB, all without any luck, so it's not the input device.

From what I understand, the Revision 2.0 DS3L mobos should recognize the E8400 out of the box... The memory is listed as compatible with that motherboard on the Corsair website... So what gives?

Any help at all would be greatly appreciated, as I am now in possession of a $900 paperweight.
Like I said, this is my first build from the ground up, so I could be missing something... Please help me SPCR!

Thanks for reading!

Cordially,
Scott

xan_user
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by xan_user » Wed Feb 13, 2008 6:02 pm

I have no personal exp with socket 775's but where you real careful installing the chip? Read this.....
http://www.pcstats.com/articleview.cfm?articleID=2231

trib

Post by trib » Wed Feb 13, 2008 6:21 pm

xan_user wrote:I have no personal exp with socket 775's but where you real careful installing the chip? Read this.....
http://www.pcstats.com/articleview.cfm?articleID=2231
Thanks for the reply and link!

Yes, I'm quite sure I installed it carefully and correctly. I suppose I could take the processor out to see if any of the pins are bent, because now that I think about it, I didn't really check before I installed it. However, I would like that option to be one of the last scenarios because it would require me to take the motherboard out of my case and go through the hassle of installing a Ninja all over again, haha. But, if that's what I must do, I suppose I shall.

Any if my processor is installed correctly and no pins are damaged, then what?

scdr

Post by scdr » Wed Feb 13, 2008 6:56 pm

Did it give any Beeps or are there any diagnostic LEDs?
- look up meaning of LED or beep patterns in the manual.

If BIOS beep is okay, could be bad video card (or mis-seated).

I would disconnect as much as you can, get down to basics -
CPU, RAM, video card, keyboard.

If still no picture - try a different video card (even a PCI video card if you have one).

If that works, then ad bits in until it doesn't.

Also try unseating/reseating parts (is the RAM fully inserted, etc.)
Check that all connections are on correctly (for switches, LEDs, ports, etc).

xan_user
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by xan_user » Wed Feb 13, 2008 7:27 pm

just check out your mobo, looks like bios version f8a is required for 8400. Its a BETA driver.
http://www.giga-byte.us/Support/Motherb ... uctID=2583

I dont know how one updates a bios when mobo wont post......

Conroy

Post by Conroy » Wed Feb 13, 2008 7:35 pm

The old bios should still recognize the e8400 enough to let you boot

In addition to what sdcr said, try installing each memory stick independently and in each slot.

trib

Post by trib » Wed Feb 13, 2008 7:51 pm

scdr wrote:Did it give any Beeps or are there any diagnostic LEDs?
- look up meaning of LED or beep patterns in the manual.

If BIOS beep is okay, could be bad video card (or mis-seated).

I would disconnect as much as you can, get down to basics -
CPU, RAM, video card, keyboard.

If still no picture - try a different video card (even a PCI video card if you have one).

If that works, then ad bits in until it doesn't.

Also try unseating/reseating parts (is the RAM fully inserted, etc.)
Check that all connections are on correctly (for switches, LEDs, ports, etc).
I don't think it's the video card, since it displays the logo screen without a problem. I just can't get past that.

I don't have a system speaker and the mobo doesn't have any disgnostic LEDs... But I'll take apart an old computer and salvage the speaker so that I can check.

I've already disconnected everything I can, and it still won't load.

I'm going to try re-seating the memory in a different slot next

How likely is it that it's a dud board? I read reviews of that happening all the time, but it would seem that's an unfair sampling due to the fact that someone is much more likely to post a review a product if it requires RMA.

xan_user
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by xan_user » Wed Feb 13, 2008 7:58 pm

the manual has a nice trouble shooting guide a the end with a flow chart starting with everything disconnected, including keyboard and mouse.

http://america.giga-byte.com/FileList/M ... _2.0_e.pdf

Conroy

Post by Conroy » Wed Feb 13, 2008 7:59 pm

In case you're still worried about the bios, I googled around and found more people who said that they were able to boot with your board and chip and the old bios.

You probably have, but make sure the memory sticks are all the way in and the clasps are closed.

trib

Post by trib » Thu Feb 14, 2008 1:46 am

Ok, I connected a case speaker, and on power up it gives a normal POST code, one short beep. I was relieved to hear it! However, it still hangs up on the logo screen and won't load BIOS...

I've disconnected everything, reconnected everything, used every possible memory configuration between the four slots, and still no luck.

Any ideas?

Also, thank you for all the help you've already given.

jhhoffma

Post by jhhoffma » Thu Feb 14, 2008 6:15 am

RMA the mobo, you got an issue there.

trib

Post by trib » Fri Feb 15, 2008 6:05 pm

Well, I got impatient and RMA'd the board yesterday.

I received a response email from Gigabyte tech support this evening:
an bios update will be required in order to support the E8400, is there an slower processor available to test to check which version of the bios which you currently have?
This is contrary to everything I've been told about the board. I know it says on their website that BIOS F8a is required for Wolfdale support, but due to all the positive DS3L/E8400 combos I've researched, I assumed that Rev. 2.0 of the board shipped with the update. Since I was never able to view the POST screen, I don't actually know what version I had.

Even if my processor wasn't in fact supported, I should have still been able to boot the Qflash utility with the E8400, correct? Was I right to RMA?

seraphyn

Post by seraphyn » Fri Feb 15, 2008 6:41 pm

Can't drive a car without an engine, i'd say. If the BIOS doesn't recognize the CPU, how can it do anything?

Apparently the older rev2.0 boards don't seem to have the f8 BIOS on them, at least after some digging i found a guy with a f6 BIOS on his DS3L, maybe you got an 'old' new board.

Seems to be a lot of confusion about this though, Gigabyte would do well to clear things up as no one has the 100% sure answer it seems.

*edit

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showth ... id=2746093

Seems they're having luck trying to get your combo working, so RMA'ing the board was probably the right move.

Dutchmm

Did you connect up the ATX 12v properly?

Post by Dutchmm » Fri Feb 15, 2008 11:27 pm

This sounds like a problem I had when I built my rig on the P35-DS4. At the first read of the motherboard manual, it did not sound as though I needed to connect the additional four pin 12v lead (ATX 12v 2X), but without this connection, there is not enough power to make the CPU start.

I was fairly cheesed off, until on re-reading the FM I came round to the view I did need to hook it up (I still think it is confusingly worded), and everything was fine.

Good luck, anyway

Mike

Conroy

Post by Conroy » Sat Feb 16, 2008 12:39 am

I'd say you were right to RMA as well, unless you didn't hook up all of the power connections as Dutchmm mentioned.

I've found many reports of DS3L's with old bios being able to boot with the chip, and none of the converse

My own DS3P booted with an old bios with no problems..

trib

Post by trib » Sat Feb 16, 2008 10:37 am

Thanks for the reassurance, I was stressing about it, haha. I've been planning to build a computer for close to three years now, but have never had the financial means to do it, so I made up for the mean time with countless hours of research on the subject. I know research is no substitute for experience, but it was such a drag that my computer wouldn't boot after all that work! I was certain everything was done correctly.

I'll post an update with pictures when I get the new board in (assuming it works :shock: ). I know it's just another P182 build, but I think it turned out beautifully.