System stuttering in Vista and will not wake up either

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

garhent

System stuttering in Vista and will not wake up either

Post by garhent » Thu Feb 28, 2008 9:00 am

I built a new system and I'm experiencing system shuttering. By stuttering when I'm playing downloaded content there is a slight stutter in playback. I'll also get a stutter on my mouse like it will cut out slightly and come back. The other symptom is when the machine goes to sleep it won't wake back up again, well the computer will wake up but it won't send an image through the video card. The fan for the video card will also kick up to max rev. I'm using a fan controller for the CPU cooler and I get the "Fan not hooked up to motherboard" error repeatedly on boot up.

E8400
4 mb ram
2 WD 500 gb drives raid 0
P5E-VM mobo
8800 GT
Bluegears b.Enspire sound card
430 power supply

From reading up on 1333 FSB motherboards that Asus has been releasing they have a bit higher power consumption. I'm going to hook up my older 750 watt power source to it tonight and see if that does anything. I plan on trouble shooting:

-1) Power supply up it to 750 watts and run it overnight
-2) Remove cpu fan from controller and plug directly into motherboard and run overnight
-3) Trade out the video card
-4) Trade out the sound card
-5) RMA motherboard if need be

Any other suggestions for course of action or possible error?

xan_user
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by xan_user » Thu Feb 28, 2008 10:19 am

1. You only state "430 watt power supply". What model?
That size should be fine if its not some noname POS, or really old.
2. or disable fan control in bios
3.check video power settings in bios.
4.whats the issue with the SC ?
5.check error log in windows.

6. is mouse usb or? hub or direct. does mouse use special drivers?

Nick Geraedts
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Nick Geraedts » Thu Feb 28, 2008 10:53 am

Make sure that you have all the latest drivers installed from the manufacturer's homepage. I found that the system fan on my laptop would run at full speed nearly all the time until I installed my chipset drivers.

Also, what filters/decoders are you using to watch the videos?

Sleep problems come from two main sources - chipset drivers and video drivers. Make sure both of these are up to date.

Elixer

Post by Elixer » Thu Feb 28, 2008 11:28 am

Have you gone through the normal testing programs?

Does memtest return any errors?

Is in prime 95 stable for 24 hours?

derekva

Post by derekva » Thu Feb 28, 2008 2:45 pm

Try removing your sound card and video card (including all drivers / utilities) and see if that fixes the problem - note, you may have to enable your onboard video first in the BIOS. A lot of the 'won't wake up' issues in Vista have been traced to bad video card or sound card drivers (NVidia and Creative Labs have been the biggest offenders). If the sleep function works, replace either the video card or sound card and retest. If sleep still works, switch cards (and uninstall drivers / utilities) and retest. If sleep still works, put both back in and attempt to reproduce the error. If at that point everything is working, cheers! If sleep doesn't work again, then you may have some sort of fundamental incompatability between your system components, or you may want to sacrifice a live rooster and see if that helps. :wink:

-D

garhent

Post by garhent » Thu Feb 28, 2008 9:05 pm

The P5E-VM HDMI has got some issues after reading up on the web and I'm experiencing all of them.

-Any change made to Q-Fan will not stick on reboot
-Disabling on board sound causes the bios to freeze
-If you have Vista you need to manually change the Sleep power settings or the computer won't boot up.

I would NOT recommend this motherboard now, its buggy and released too damn soon.