Linux Server

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

65fl

Linux Server

Post by 65fl » Fri Feb 29, 2008 12:30 pm

I plan on building out a Linux Server for the following uses.

Running Slimserver.
Running Apache with a Subversion repository on it.
Running Samba
General backup and file server
Will probably use it to convert FLAC to MP3's in batch jobs.
1 TB of storage for now, will probably need to double it later.

Constraints:
Needs to be power efficient.
Needs to be somewhat quiet, but will be located in the basement once configured so it doesn't have to be silent.
This will end up being a headless system so on-board graphics will be sufficient as long as it is compatible with Linux.
This system will be hardwired to my router, an on-board NIC would be nice.
I want it reliable.
I don't want to spend more money than I need to.

I never built a file server before so I'm not even sure where to start. Help me spend my money.

dougz

Re: Linux Server

Post by dougz » Fri Feb 29, 2008 2:15 pm

65fl wrote:I plan on building out a Linux Server for the following uses.
<snip>
I never built a file server before so I'm not even sure where to start. Help me spend my money.
Your requirements are similar to many who have gone before you.

I'd suggest that you do some searches on this site, gather information, refine your requirements, and then post more specific questions.

For example, I used the search string "linux and file and server" and got 160 hits. I'd bet a lot of those threads would be helpful to you. The search button is in the upper left, under the banner ad.

andyy32

Post by andyy32 » Fri Feb 29, 2008 2:25 pm

Not sure how much computing power you need for slimserver as I am not familiar with it. As far as a file server goes, you don't need much particularly if you are running linux and strip out all the extra stuff you don't need.

I just built a SUSE box based around a Pentium II I had laying around. I use it for torrents, network storage, and as a UPNP server for my 360. You might be able to find something like that locally. Usually people want to give away stuff that old.

Otherwise I would take a look at some VIA systems with the C7 processor (Like This one0. Your looking at probably less than 50 watts for the whole system but. If you feel that you need more power than that, take a look at some of the more efficient AMD Athlons. There is one that uses around 45watts. I'm not sure what specific model it is.

[/url]

vmole

Post by vmole » Fri Feb 29, 2008 3:20 pm

Slimserver itself doesn't require much CPU, but it seems to rely on mysql these days, which is happier with some CPU and (especially) memory.

jessekopelman

Post by jessekopelman » Fri Feb 29, 2008 3:29 pm

65fl wrote: I never built a file server before so I'm not even sure where to start. Help me spend my money.
How much storage do you need? Do you expect to implement RAID for redundancy? What I'm getting at is how many HDD you want is going to drive the selection of the case, PSU, and possibly motherboard.

Jay_S
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Jay_S » Sat Mar 01, 2008 2:27 pm

65fl wrote:I plan on building out a Linux Server for the following uses.

Running Slimserver.
Running Apache with a Subversion repository on it.
Running Samba
General backup and file server
Will probably use it to convert FLAC to MP3's in batch jobs.
1 TB of storage for now, will probably need to double it later.
I've been doing almost all of this (no apache) on a used Dell Optiplex with a 733 MHz Pentium 3 and 256 MB of ram. Using ubuntu 6.06 and SlimServer 6.5, which I believe includes mySQL. It has enough grunt to steam to 3 different squeezeboxes (and softsqueezes) around my house.

The Optiplex was a $40 from ebay including shipping. Most major cities have computer recycling companies. The one near me re-sells whatever is worth anything. You might be able to score some ex-corporate PC's this way.

Jay

65fl

Post by 65fl » Mon Mar 03, 2008 9:10 pm

Thanks for the replies. Apologies for taking so long to get back, went fishing over the weekend. Caught a couple of trout and drank some good beer.

Stuff I know:
After a little more research I narrowed down the CPU to an Intel Celeron 420 Conroe-L 1.6GHz. It is inexpensive, efficient and has enough grunt to run what I want it to.

I want 2 GB ram, from my research, Slimserver starts getting slow when searching very large music collections which it will have.

I will use a pair of Samsung HD501LJ SpinPoint 500GB disks, I've had good luck with them. Probably won't use raid, but if I do it would be software raid. This will probably get expanded to 4 disks total.

Haven't decided on a case yet, but I'm comfortable picking that out.

I really only need help with the mother board. Something with these specs:
Gigabit lan
Linux compatibility
Reliable and efficient
At least 4 sata channels
on board graphics
I'm currently thinking about the ASUS P5L-VM, but I'm not sure if there are better choices.

I thought about going the used route, but I really want something reliable. I just want to build it out, stick it in the basement and forget about it. I've never had good luck using old hardware.

Thanks for the help.

Yorixz

Post by Yorixz » Tue Mar 04, 2008 6:43 am

65fl wrote: I really only need help with the mother board. Something with these specs:
Gigabit lan
Linux compatibility
Reliable and efficient
At least 4 sata channels
on board graphics
I'm currently thinking about the ASUS P5L-VM, but I'm not sure if there are better choices.

I thought about going the used route, but I really want something reliable. I just want to build it out, stick it in the basement and forget about it. I've never had good luck using old hardware.

Thanks for the help.
Pretty much like any consumer board covers those specs nowadays; motherboards are generally completely reliable if you're not overclocking, so you probably wont have to worry about that.

In case you're planning to use the video a lot, through VNC or so, you might want to consider getting an nVidia onboard chipset, but if that's not the case any will do as well as the standard VGA drivers cover basically all chips available.

The last suggestion I'd have is to go for a motherboard with passive cooling, especially if you want to make it a box you can forget this might be essential, especially since the tiny coolers on northbridges tend to die after a while without real warning.

jessekopelman

Post by jessekopelman » Tue Mar 04, 2008 2:44 pm

65fl wrote:I'm currently thinking about the ASUS P5L-VM, but I'm not sure if there are better choices.
That seems like a good choice, as the older chipset should mean good Linux support. Will the BIOS support the relatively new Conroe-L, though? You might want to look into which boards offer BIOS undervolting, as you can save 5-10W that way.