Upgrade to an Accelero S1?

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

ryboto
Friend of SPCR

Upgrade to an Accelero S1?

Post by ryboto » Wed Mar 12, 2008 9:27 pm

I'm curious for feedback from users with an Accelero S1 in a passive configuration, being used in a low airflow system. At present, I've only got two 900rpm fans providing positive pressure from the front and back of my case(in sig last sets of images). The positive pressure helps cool the FSP Zen, and the CPU just fine, but the video card gets quite hot(HD 3870).

Currently I'm using an HR-03. Passively, in either wrapped or above card configs, it could only keep the card to ~85C. I've since added a slow 80mm fan to the cooler, and it keeps the card to ~71C under load. I'm curious how well an S1 would fair in my system, and if it would be beneficial to get one. Considering their price, it would be a good investment if it would indeed help cool the card better.

So, anyone care to offer some feedback?
Thanks!

FlorisNielssen

Post by FlorisNielssen » Thu Mar 13, 2008 3:02 am

Is that 85C under load?
If that's the case, I wouldn't worry too much. GPU's can easily withstand temperatures up too 90C. All right, 71C is better, but it doesn't matter much.

ryboto
Friend of SPCR

Post by ryboto » Thu Mar 13, 2008 7:07 am

FlorisNielssen wrote:Is that 85C under load?
If that's the case, I wouldn't worry too much. GPU's can easily withstand temperatures up too 90C. All right, 71C is better, but it doesn't matter much.
It seems to matter a bit. I'm not sure if it's a software issue, but BF2 causes the driver to stop responding randomly. Some nights it plays fine, others it happens 3-4 times. I don't know if it's temperatures, or a software issue with Vista.

Regardless of the actual issue, I'm still curious if the S1 will improve things. I know the GU can handle high temperatures, but I'd rather avoid them all together just to be safe.

ghettojiggalo

Post by ghettojiggalo » Thu Mar 13, 2008 2:53 pm

heres my setup/temps:

coolermaster cosmos-3 fans (2 top, 1 back) negative pressure
e4500 w/ passive ninja
p35-ds3p
3870 w/ passive accelero s1
6 HDD's

the 3870 idles around 35C and has gone up to 55C under load. Have not really stressed it much though, mainly used 3dmark06 to test temps/power draw.

hope that helps. Btw have you had any issues w/ ati's drivers?

ryboto
Friend of SPCR

Post by ryboto » Thu Mar 13, 2008 4:04 pm

ghettojiggalo wrote: hope that helps. Btw have you had any issues w/ ati's drivers?
Your results are very good to hear. I've seen a lot of reviews talk about the S1 on 8800GT's, but not on the 3870's, at least not tested. As for the drivers, I've had issues. I think the drivers might be the issue with BF2, since no other games seem to have serious trouble. With BF2 I've had hard locks, and blue screens.

I'd like to hear more feedback from others, but this is a good result, I really want to get rid of the fan on the video card if I can.