Budget [all around] machine, is quiet possible?

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

sorenbro

Budget [all around] machine, is quiet possible?

Post by sorenbro » Wed Mar 19, 2008 10:41 am

My brother is in need of a new machine, and as the hardware "expert" of the family I have volunteered to build him one.
Seeing as the machine will be used primarily for watching movies and playing iTunes, and that he is on a tight budget, I will focus the build on low to middle end components that can hopefully be quiet too.

These are the components I have chosen so far:

Antec Solution Series NSK3480
Gigabyte GA-MA78GM-S2H (the new AMD 780G chipset with integrated GPU)
Kingston DDR2-800, 2x1024MB, CAS 5
Samsung SP T166 500GB, SATAII, 16MB
Samsung SH-S203D, DVD±RW

The processor and cooling solution is were I have trouble choosing:
There are the Athlon 64 X2 4400+ 2.3Ghz (65nm and 65W TDP) or the new Athlon X2 4850e (65nm and 45W TDP), but I have newer made an AMD system, so I am pretty lost with their CPU lineup. Also the 4850e is not available yet, so I'm not too sure of the pricing but probably around $120 vs $80 for the 4400+.

Then there is the CPU cooling. Since it is a budget system I am thinking an Arctic Cooling product would fit the bill.
There is the Alpine 64 ($20) / Freezer 64 Pro ($30) / Freezer 64LP ($30)

EDIT: A Scythe Ninja plus might also be an option at $60, but not sure if it will fit in the case or be plain overkill for the intended system

Michael Sandstrom

Post by Michael Sandstrom » Wed Mar 19, 2008 11:12 am

I like your choice of components except for one potential problem. The Samsung T166 is a great quiet drive but only if suspended. Also, Antec power supplies are rarely quiet and not particularly reliable.

You might consider changing cases to an Antec Solo and choosing a better PSU.

jhhoffma

Post by jhhoffma » Wed Mar 19, 2008 11:28 am

Michael Sandstrom wrote:I like your choice of components except for one potential problem. The Samsung T166 is a great quiet drive but only if suspended. Also, Antec power supplies are rarely quiet and not particularly reliable.

You might consider changing cases to an Antec Solo and choosing a better PSU.
They're quiet enough if you don't push them to the point of ramping up. I doubt his system would do that, given adequate airflow through the case.

BillyBuerger
Patron of SPCR

Post by BillyBuerger » Wed Mar 19, 2008 11:49 am

I've built a handful of PCs for work using pretty much the exact same hardware although older models mostly. Gigabyte 690V/G, X2 3600/4200, Samsung P160 mostly, Samsung DVD RW, Antec NSK3300/3480, AC Alpine 64/7... While not silent, they are quiet. Unless your brother is a silent freak like many of us here are, I don't think anything would stand out as being noisy.

I personally would go for the cheaper 4400 and undervolt using RMClock. My 4200 (2.2GHz) runs fine at 1.1V load and 0.8V idle (1000MHz). If you don't want to mess with that, the 4850e would run cooler, but again, unless you're being picky, probably nothing too noticeable. The Antec PSUs that come with the NSK3480 are Seasonic built and have done very well for me so far. I have the same in my PC at home which is very quiet and it definitely is the noisiest part. But it has to be very quiet around the house to notice. And unless you swap out the Tri-Cool fan, that is likely to make more noise. (Which again isn't too much) The AC Alpine 64 never spins up in any of these PCs I built and is very quiet. The Alpine 7 being the exact same thing but with an extra bracket for mounting on Intel motherboards.

Overall, I'd say that's a good build and can't think of anything particular I would change.

sorenbro

Post by sorenbro » Wed Mar 19, 2008 11:52 am

I have thought about the Solo and a Corsair PSU (I have the very same combination in my own system), but that would drive the price of the system too far up.

Also according to the spcr review of the NSK3480 that it was a big step up from other alternatives in the same price range.
It could be possible to swap the Antec fan with a Pabst from the old system, which might help with the noise some.

The harddrive can be mounted with the Antec softmounting system that is in the case, but suspension will not be possible. Is there another 500gb harddrive I should take into consideration?

autoboy

Post by autoboy » Wed Mar 19, 2008 11:56 am

The Arctic Cooling alpine 64 is a great cooler for low power AMD systems when coupled with fan control. You may also consider the AC alpine 7. It is designed for intel but fits on AMD systems and comes with a 4 pin fan. I run the Alpine 7 on all my current builds including even a 2.8ghz 90nm 85W 5600+. Under heavy load the fan ramps up a bit, but remains quiet. On my 65nm 4200+ it never ramps above the ambient and idles at a barely running 475rpm.

The system you built should prove very quiet. It will not be inaudible with the stock Antec PSU fan, but I think you will be happy with it.

FlorisNielssen

Post by FlorisNielssen » Wed Mar 19, 2008 12:53 pm

The 4400+ should be more than fine. And with an Alpine 64 or 7 (the 7 is the same apart from the PWM fan) it should be very good. By the way, they also have a 64 PWM by now. The same as the 7, without an extra piece of plastic for Intel sockets.

I've got a P150 (white SOLO) with an Alpine 7 and you can't hear the CPU-cooler at all. (Actually, the whole pc is silent.)

By the way, the Ninja will fit and it will be overkill. But you can run it passive. But your brother probably doesn't need that.

autoboy

Post by autoboy » Wed Mar 19, 2008 4:38 pm

The thing I find annoying about the Ninja is that it makes working on the PC an annoying, and potentially dangers affair because it is so big and sharp. I can't hear the AC Alpine, so what is the benefit to me to put a ninja in? I just replaced my Ninja with a AC Alpine 7, and my computer is easy to work on, and it actually has better temps now because over time the weight of the Ninja actually made it fall off the top of the CPU and only the bottom of the chip made contact.

I couldn't be happier.

sorenbro

Post by sorenbro » Thu Mar 20, 2008 3:07 am

Thank you so much for the quick and competent replies.

It seems that the cheapest route will be just fine, using the AC Alpine 64 and the 4400+, and perhaps replacing the stock Antec Tricooler.

Does anyone have any experience with how well the mounting mechanism for the HDD copes with vibrations?

loimlo

Post by loimlo » Thu Mar 20, 2008 8:16 am

You might consider giving stock AMD cooler & Antec Tricool a try. Though not on par with best ones, they are certainly quiet enough for average people. From SPCR Gigabyte 780G review, smartfan could adjust stock AMD fan to 850RPM, which is pretty decent for most people. Antec Tricool being set to low is fair enough for mass except SPCR freaks here :lol: . I highly doubt your brother could hear and feel it.

HDD mounting is the key to silent computing especially for Samsung under this circumstance, at least my past assembling experience told me so.

gimmezell

Post by gimmezell » Thu Mar 20, 2008 8:48 am

I'll throw in my $.02. Below is my setup that I just got last week. The system is really quiet. Even my wife was impressed with it. Only thing I hear is the stupid cable modem transformer.

Antec Solo
E2180
Western Digital Caviar SE16 320GB 7200 RPM SATA OEM
GA-P35-DS3L rev 2.0
G.SKILL 2GB (2 x 1GB)
ECS N8800GT-512MX+ GeForce 512MB w/Accelero S1
CORSAIR 450VX
Scythe SCNJ-1100P

sorenbro

Post by sorenbro » Fri Mar 21, 2008 4:09 am

gimmezell, that looks like a nice build, but it would be far too costly.

I might give the stock AMD cooler a try using smart fan to slow the fan down.