Need mATX case for E8400 build

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

merkill

Need mATX case for E8400 build

Post by merkill » Mon Mar 24, 2008 2:22 am

Hello all i really apreciate all advice on a good mATX case for this system.

Intel E8400 processor
2x2048mb ddr2 800mhz
Gigabyte GA-G33M-DS2R iG33 motherboard
Western Digital Caviar XL WD6400AAKS 640GB
Not sure if i want to use a dvd or not i use the one i have less than once a month :)
1x8800gt dual slot cooler so i get some air out of computer that way.
The system will never contain more components than this , so no need for uprade space , If i need more hd i will just rack it up in my old P150

Cases im thinking about and need help deciding on , price wont matter.
Antec NSK-1380
Antec NSK-3480
Cooler Master Elite 340
Silverstone TJ08 "Temjin"

The only thing im a bit sceptical of is the separate compartment for the psu+hd+dvd that feels like a waste of airflow , i rarely use my dvd so it wont be generating much heat , it feels like it would be better to take air from inside the case and with the help of the dualslot cooler from the gfx card pull air out of the case in the back and let fresh air com in from the front , Any thoughts on this ?

sorenbro

Post by sorenbro » Mon Mar 24, 2008 3:49 am

I would suggest that you get rid of the stock 8800GT stock cooler. I have owned both a 8800GTS and 8800GT and both stock cooling solutions were unacceptably loud for my liking.
Applying an Arctic Cooling Accelero S1 is a super investment.

Having one 120mm exhaust fan should be suffiecient, and there would be no need for the GPU stock cooling in order to get rid of the heat generated by the GPU.

merkill

Post by merkill » Mon Mar 24, 2008 5:01 am

Yes i was going to change the standard cooler with a 2 slot one that blows the air out of the case.

Thanks for the tip on that cooler i will check it out :D

fwki
Patron of SPCR

Post by fwki » Mon Mar 24, 2008 6:13 am

On cases, I find that the 3480 has excellent airlflow with an always-on 800 rpm exhaust fan at thetop of the case instead of a scaling psu fan. By isolating the psu, you eliminate dead air at the top when a power load driven psu fan is idled. Also scaling the 2x92mm intake fans with Speedfan gives a broad path of fresh air across your cards and cpu in the smaller lower cabinet on an as-need basis. Also it's a heavy, quiet case, especially if equpped for silence. HDD expansion is the primary limitation.