Time to update

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

ragingbender

Time to update

Post by ragingbender » Tue Apr 22, 2008 7:58 pm

So, my AMD64 3200 finally shit the bed (overtemp, I think. I know I'm stupid so let's not dwell on it) I've had it for 4 years now, so I'm not too heartbroken about it.

I was thinking about getting the Q9300 CPU with an Intel DX38BT Mobo. I was hoping I could get some yays or nays from you guys on both the cpu and mobo. Is there a better one, etc. Everything I've read sounds great, which makes me very suspicious.

CPU cooler advice would be much appreciated, also, for obvious reasons.

Also, since I have to dropkick my Asus K8V mobo, so goes the Nvidia 7800 GT (AGP 8x). I love this video card, so do I bother with the 9800's or just go for the 8800?

Thanks for any advice, guys

SilentBen

Post by SilentBen » Tue Apr 22, 2008 8:40 pm

viewtopic.php?t=47714

- I was just debating some of that stuff myself! I just purchased the rest of my equipment today, I hope to build it over this weekend.

I think the Q9450 probably gives you a little more performance per dollar. You can lookup things for the Q9300 vs Q9450 debate on Google. I think it boils down to a preference call.

The Intel mobos... I only have one gripe. Memory compatibility. Two of mine were very specific to the voltages and timings. I'm not sure if that is much of an issue today though. Depending on what features you were looking for or if you intend to overclock, there might be a better board for you.

CPU cooler depends on your application again. Common agreement seems that the new 45nm processors are much easier to cool. I just went with the Thermalright Ultra 120 eXtreme, but I've read the Tuniq T-120 is pretty comparable.

The video stuff... ehh. I'm not too much into the high end cards. I know the 8800GT and the 9600GT are in about the same ball field. I've done no homework in the 8800GTS or 9800 department.

Are you aiming for quiet, performance, or a mix of both?

ragingbender

performance

Post by ragingbender » Tue Apr 22, 2008 8:48 pm

I've never been big on quiet. As long as the machine performs, it can sound like a jet engine for all I care; I'll just turn up the speakers.

Just did some research on the vid cards. for my purposes, I think I'm going with the 8800 GTS. the 9800 is a LITTLE faster, but not enough to spend the extra $$.

I seem to get a lot of people telling me that the Thermalright 120 is the way to go. so I think I will get that.

I have to look into the memory compatability thing. I seem to remember hearing that once before.

AZBrandon
Friend of SPCR

Post by AZBrandon » Tue Apr 22, 2008 9:35 pm

I've been building a spreadsheet with options lately with a similar buildout. Basically 45nm quad and a fast, but not top of the line video card, and whatever else to make it all come together.

The way I work, I pick one thing, then research it a little, look at other stuff, read reviews, message boards, other people's server builds, and so on. I end up changing the list over and over again to come up with items that should actually work well together and which are the best all around parts, balancing speed, reliability, quietness, compatibility (like, components that actually fit together - perfect example is all the troubles with the S1 not fitting certain Nvidia cards) and so on.

ragingbender

finally got the parts together

Post by ragingbender » Sun May 04, 2008 10:15 pm

Ok, here is what I have ended up with after much debate and deliberation:

Intel x48bt mobo
Intel q9300
EVGA 8800GT
ZALMAN 9500A CPU cooler
OCZ 2048MB PC10600 DDR3 1333MHz RAM
400 GB WD SATA (just for fun)
and I got a new ultra x-pro 600 watt power supply

I hope this thing kicks ass.

loimlo

Post by loimlo » Tue May 06, 2008 9:55 am

I suggest you to look for quiet PSU brands with excellent reputation such as Corsair, Enermax, and Seasonic. At least, 600W is too much fior your system.

ragingbender

yeah

Post by ragingbender » Tue May 06, 2008 4:09 pm

well, the ultra PSU I got is VERY quiet. I just finished assembling the machine, and the noise level is fantastic. The 600W I got because I thought that I would want to throw another video card in there some day. got a lot of extra wires, though.