Need Advice: Antec NSK3480 Build

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Funky_Junk

Need Advice: Antec NSK3480 Build

Post by Funky_Junk » Mon Apr 28, 2008 7:58 pm

I'm looking to build an ultra quiet machine with emphasis on large amounts of storage for around $800. I do not plan on doing much gaming until fall, and in keeping with my budget, I have decided to run Ubuntu Linux. Here is my proposed build:

Antec NSK3480 Case w/ 380w EarthWatts PSU
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6811129035

Intel Core 2 Duo E6550
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6819115030

Gigabyte GA-G31M Micro-ATX Motherboard
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6813128078

Nvidia 8600GT 256MB *FANLESS*
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6814127293

G.SKILL 2GB 240-Pin DDR2
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6820231111

2x Western Digital Caviar GP 750GB 5400 to 7200RPM
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6822136150

1x Western Digital Scorpio 80GB 5400RPM
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6822136129

Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6835186134

Turtle Beach 7.1 Channel Sound Card
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6829118109

Lite-On DVD Burner
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6827106072

Ubuntu Linux

*Major Concerns*

1. I am striving for the least amount of noise possible. Do you think this computer would be close to silent? Which component do you think would produce the most noise?

2. The NSK3480 is a very small case, that in my proposed build, would be packed to the brim. Every drive bay would be filled with an optical drive or a hard drive. Do you think this would impede airflow too much and cause the system to be too hot? Remember that my VGA is fanless and the case only has one fan.

3. All drives in this build run at 5400rpm, with the 80Gb used for the OS, and the two 750's used for music storage. Do you think the slow drive speed would impede performance noticeably in gaming or while doing normal tasks and listening to music?

4. Would everything fit on the motherboard (emphasis on heatsink)? If you click on the link and look at the picture you will notice the chipset heatsink is in close proximity to the CPU and VGA areas and I was wondering if the large Arctic Silver heatsink would fit, and if the fanless VGA would fit.

5. The fanless VGA comes in a 256MB model and a 512MB model, both at the same price. Which one is better?

6. Can anybody anticipate any major compatibility problems between this machine and Ubuntu Linux?

Thanks for all of the input!

mikeki

Post by mikeki » Mon Apr 28, 2008 8:45 pm

I'm looking at an NSK3480 build also, but my constraints are a little different than yours.

First a couple of comments on your build:

1. I don't understand the 80gb drive. A third drive adds noise and for only 80gb? Can you partition one of the bigger drives? Maybe you have a specific use for the drives, but it's a thought.

2. Given the amount of storage you have in the case, I would recommend a low speed quiet 92mm front case fan to get some airflow there. I'm not 100% familiar with there placement in the case, but in an NSK6500 you get air directly over the drives.

3. It looks to me like your heatsink / graphics combo will fit easily given the space. I can't comment on MB interference. I'm looking at both a bigger graphics card solution (ECS 9600GT) and CPU heatsink (Ninja)

Good luck with it. I'm going to start a separate thread on my build so I don't hijack yours. :)

Piblokto

Post by Piblokto » Tue Apr 29, 2008 10:13 am

Having just finished a NSK3480 re-build (for my office PC) I can tell you that your hardware will stuff the case full, and you may see noise, air flow and cooling problems that you wouldn't have in a slightly larger case.

Originally, I had a socket 939 Opteron 165 in a Biostar MATX motherboard (T6100-939), with a Zalman AlCu7000 HSF, Seagate 160 GB HD, and a fanless video card (XFX 7600GS). Power supply was the stock Antec EA380. Fans were the stock Antec 120mm tri-cool at the back, and a temp controlled 92 mm (CompUSA brand!) in the lower front. System was kind of quiet, but not in the SPCR sense. Too much whooshing of air, and a constant electronic hum. Couldn't hear it when furnace or A/C running, but noticed it when room suddenly went silent.

New build addressed each noisemaker. I modified the case (e.g., to remove fan grills and allow for less obstructive routing of cables) but this probably had little effect. Big change was in components. I went with an all-in-one motherboard that sacrificed little (OK, I can't play high-end games) -- the Gigabyte 780g chipset board, an AM2 45w CPU -- 4850e (though see my concern in the CPU forum), a 2.5" hard drive -- WD 120 GB SATA, and a Scythe Mini-Ninja HSF with included Scythe 80mm fan. Also replaced PSU with the dead quiet (IME) Antec NeoHE 380w ($20 after rebate from Newegg!) and the back fan with a 120mm Nexus. Removed the front 92 mm fan. System is absolutely quiet unless I put my ear within a foot or so of the case. Very happy with build.

Not sure what your future intent is with the case, but if you have the room I'd consider a larger case -- perhaps the Antec Solo. Still pretty small, but much more workable.

Telamon
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Telamon » Tue Apr 29, 2008 1:59 pm

I put together a system for my parents a while back using the NSK 3400 and I can attest to how small it is. My main concern would be the third HDD as mikeki already pointed out. The 3480 is certainly capable of holding three drives but it will be a tight fit and you will more than likely lose the bottom PCI slot on the motherboard to the 3.5" mount at the base. Even if that is the case it looks like you'll still have enough room for both your video and sound cards but it's something to consider if you plan on adding anything.

As far as silencing options go you don't have many with this design. The rear Tri-Cool can be easily replace with a Slipstream or undervolted Nexus or Yate Loon but there isn't much you can do about the hard drives without some modifications. Unlike other Antec case designs the hard drives are meant to be mounted directly to the chassis and the lack of space may prevent any sort of suspension. At the least you wouldn't be able to add a front 92mm fan and then we're back to the airflow dilemma.

With your system specifications I think this case is going to be a tough sell. It works very well as an embedded graphics and audio solution but once you add more components beyond that it becomes a bit unwieldy. On the other hand you're not a hardcore gamer and don't require the super size of a multi-chambered P180. Still, I'd suggest the other route and go with Piblokto's suggestion: a slightly larger case like the Solo. You won't lack for space, it's guaranteed to get decent airflow and hard drive suspension is built in. That should fill anyone's criteria for a powerful yet quiet and cool system.

Funky_Junk

Post by Funky_Junk » Tue Apr 29, 2008 2:19 pm

I have decided to drop the 80Gb hard drive and the sound card from my build list. Do you think that would alleviate some of the problems with the NSK3480?

Would the size of the NSK3480 really impede upon my ability to build a very quiet pc? As it stands, what in my system would make the most noise?

Plekto

Post by Plekto » Tue Apr 29, 2008 3:16 pm

The problem is that you have two problems with a minitower case.

1 - airflow. You need 120mm fans as a minimum and as much room for airflow as possible, especially around the video card(2 inches or more from the top of the card to the side of the case is optimal). With a case that small, you really need to pop off one of the 5.25 drive bay covers to serve as an intake that's in-line with the exhaust fan. No, it's not going to help noise, but it MAY cool it enough to allow a bit of undervolting of the fans.

2 - poor construction. A light toy of a case is like a plastic speaker. It resonates and vibrates considerably compared to a heavier speaker cabinet(or case). The NSK3480 has very thin and flimsy side panels, and there's not a lot that can be done other than adding material to dampen it - which decreases airflow a bit more.

It sounds like you need a proper full size tower to get it cool and quiet enough.

Funky_Junk

Post by Funky_Junk » Tue Apr 29, 2008 4:20 pm

If the case is going to be that big of a problem, does anyone have an recommendations for a small case (around 16 inches in height or under) that is very quiet.

How about the Lian Li PC-A05?

mikeki

Post by mikeki » Tue Apr 29, 2008 9:15 pm

It's slightly bigger cousin, the NSK 4480 is 16.5" tall.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6811129031

I have a machine with the even larger NSK6500 which is 18.5" tall.

porkchop

Post by porkchop » Wed Apr 30, 2008 12:16 am

Plekto wrote:2 - poor construction. A light toy of a case is like a plastic speaker. It resonates and vibrates considerably compared to a heavier speaker cabinet(or case). The NSK3480 has very thin and flimsy side panels, and there's not a lot that can be done other than adding material to dampen it - which decreases airflow a bit more.

i disagree.
as a proud owner of this case, i've got to say that it is one of the most sturdy cases i've ever used, it uses 0.8mm steel- pretty much standard for all cases and the reduced dimensions make it seem stiffer and stronger.
i'm also not too sure about your theory that dampening materials reduce airflow.

it looks to me that the main challenges of your build is sufficiently cooling both hdds and the graphics card, and also making the psu quiet.
i would suggest:
- do a fan swap on the psu (i'm sure there should be some examples in the psu thread- a 1900rpm fan directly plugged into the psu did well for my su380).
- get some better fans and a means to control them if your motherboard won't allow you to do so.
one 120mm exhaust may be enough, but you may need an extra 92mm as intake.
- an 8600gt? in terms of power consumption, ati is in the lead -especially since they underclock their cards during idle. perhaps you can consider a 2600xt or a new 3600 series?
a 256mb or 512mb card? definitely 256mb, for these low/mid cards, the extra ram is useless- also note that some manufacturers use slower ram in these '512mb' cards.
since you'll be using the hdd tray at the base of the case, know that it will be quite cramped down there- which will have an effect on your temps.
- hdds with the provided trays and silicon grommets should be good enough to eliminate all vibrations since you're using gp drives. the only real probelm is keeping them cool, reviews show that power consumption is really low for these drives, which means they're very cool running so perhaps you'll be fine- but remember that both drives will be in fairly cramped places with limited airflow.

good luck 8)

fwki
Patron of SPCR

Post by fwki » Wed Apr 30, 2008 5:27 am

I agree with porkchop. The 3480 is very sturdy, especially compared to the aluminum A05. I own both and the A05 is a HDD echo chamber if HDD suspension is not used.

I am not sure where you were planning to put the third HDD, so glad you dropped it. Ditch the 120 tricool and pick a quiet 120mm fan 800-1000 rpm...plenty of recommendations in these forums. A single exhaust fan won't cut it...I added two 92mm Nexus at 800 rpm...can't hear them at all.

I had an 8600GT before the 8800GT and it was pretty lame, you can find better cards at similar price point, definitely look at the 3600 series. The Nvidia replaced the 8600GT with the 9600GT, but you'll have to use an after market cooler (and an extra slot) for fanless.

Personally I would choose the 6750 or the 6850 over the 6550 to give OCing headroom with the higher multiplier. It sorta future proofs the system and the OC would not require a voltage increase, thus keeping temps down. I am not sure if that busts the budget, but for gaming, put your cash in the VGA rather than the cpu.

If you go with 3 quiet, undervolted case fans, use control on the cpu fan, fanless VGA, then the Earthwatts will be the primary source of sound. Since it comes with the case, which I highly recommend, try it for a while and make a change to a Corsair or Seasonic if necessary.

Funky_Junk

Post by Funky_Junk » Wed Apr 30, 2008 1:48 pm

I am only going to have two hard drives, would the second hard drive have to go on the floor of the case, or is there some room in the drive cage for it?

Anyways, do you think the Silverstone TJ08 or the Cooler Master 340 is more suitable for my needs? Aside from appearances does the TJ08 haave any advantages over the 340?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 8&Tpk=TJ08

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... ster%2b340

Telamon
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Telamon » Wed Apr 30, 2008 3:09 pm

Without the case floor HDD mount point you still have the 3.5" bay and the lower 5.25" bay so fear not.

edit: Whoops. Fear not, that is, unless you plan on filling that 3.5" slot with a floppy drive? It didn't occur to me before but I probably should ask just to be safe.

Funky_Junk

Post by Funky_Junk » Wed Apr 30, 2008 6:38 pm

I'm thinking of going with the TJ08 or CM 340 just so I can stick a Corsair PSU in there, which I have heard would be quieter than the earthwatts.

porkchop

Post by porkchop » Wed Apr 30, 2008 6:51 pm

fair enough, but do keep in mind that:
-both these cases only provide hard mounts for hdds, and suspending them in the 5.25" bays gives them almost no airflow unless you put a fan in there. so unless you're planning some custom hdd suspension or cooling, then it may be hard to keep the drives silent and cool.
i think even a gp drive will cause some sort of resonance if hard mounted in any case- although i'd love to be proved wrong.
-both cases also have mesh fronts- which may allow noise to escape.

please note that i own neither of these cases, and my opinions are based purely on pictures that i have seen.
I'm thinking of going with the TJ08 or CM 340 just so I can stick a Corsair PSU in there, which I have heard would be quieter than the earthwatts.
an earthwatts will be quieter than a corsair if you swap the fan- and alot cheaper to boot.