Has anyone considered a "parallel chimney" design?

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

weboweb

Has anyone considered a "parallel chimney" design?

Post by weboweb » Fri Jun 13, 2008 3:27 am

I'm just wondering if anyone has considered (or even attempted) a parallel chimney design in achieving a system cooled entirely by natural convection. I drew up a (very) rough illustration in Paint which should explain what I'm trying to say:

Components are evidently not to scale.

The floor and ceiling of the case would be protected by some kind of low density mesh so as not to impede airflow.

Apart from a lack of easy access to motherboard / VGA connections, I believe this layout would be more beneficial to a passive system than the reference ATX design in which most current systems are built.

What do you think?

Bluefront
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Bluefront » Fri Jun 13, 2008 4:17 am

No fans at all? If so you'll need to be using a very low-power setup. And.....locating a std. size ATX PSU in that setup as shown, impedes the upward airflow quite a bit.

Some of my recent setups mimic that drawing, and do make use of convection currents. But the upward airflow in my cases is always assisted by fans.

The only setup I ever made that can run totally fanless... A VIA board, a laptop HD, and a PICO PSU. It draws about 25W max, and can run fanless. I still have one 80x15 fan blowing directly at the board's single heat-sink. That's enough airflow to keep everything cool enough for me.

IsaacKuo

Post by IsaacKuo » Fri Jun 13, 2008 4:45 am

Your layout looks almost exactly like a build someone did here before, where he mounted his PC on a wall (so the cables were dangling underneath, and bundled into a neat bundle). That build used fans, though.

Still, there will be some shared concerns. In particular, it is "fun" to get the power cables to reach all the way to the opposite end. Prototype this first; change the layout if necessary. This will save you much grief.

Second, consider putting the PSU and drives in the same chamber. Unfortunately, the best layout, thermally, would be to put the drives underneath the PSU. This is fine for the hard drive, but makes the optical drive less accessable. The reason is that you need heat to generate passive airflow, but a hard drive doesn't really generate all that much heat. By putting the PSU above the hard drive, you have the heat of the PSU to generate heat and airflow, pulling air up through the chamber.

Still, the amount of airflow generated by the chimney "stack effect" with such a short chimney is ridiculously small. I'd at least put in some mounting holes for fans, in case more airflow is needed. You could even put the fans in there, mounted at the bottom, along with a switch to turn them on when you want to do some power computing.

IsaacKuo

Post by IsaacKuo » Fri Jun 13, 2008 4:55 am

Oh, one other thing. My preference is to put the ATX mobo upside-down compared to what you have. This puts the ports on the top, which I find more convenient.

lucas82

Post by lucas82 » Fri Jun 13, 2008 10:16 am

Kinda like this one (but without fans)?
viewtopic.php?t=39383