PC is Freezing

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

jordi.c

PC is Freezing

Post by jordi.c » Wed Jul 09, 2008 7:18 am

Dear SPCR's,

For quite sometime I have problems with my PC. My PC is freezing in random. The only thing i can do after that is resetting.

The sounds also stops randomly and high peeptone comes in the place.

I have formatted the PC which didn't solve the problem.

I have removed my PCI SATA Card Sil 3112 three days ago where two Samsung F1 drives were connected to (1TB and 750GB model) and didn't have a freeze anymore.

I have read people having no problems using the 4 sata ports version of this SATA card without problems (Sil 3114). I don't know if it could be my SATA card.

MY systems specs are as follow:
Intel P4 3,2Ghz (CPU)
Asus P4P800-E Deluxe (motherboard)
2x1GB PC3200 DDR400
ATI X850XT PE

**all connected to motherboard**
1x500GB Hitachi
2x1TB Samsung F1
1x750GB Samsung F1

Audigy 2ZS (soundcard)
PCI USB Card
PCI Netwerk Card
1x DVD-ROM
1x DVD-RW

3x80mm Fan

Nexus NX-4000 (400WATT PSU)

These are the specs without the two Samsung F1 1TB drives so in total that would be 6 harddrives.

Could the problem be that my PSU is too weak (it is a premium brand 400watt PSU) for my system?

Thanks in Advance
-Jordi

thejamppa
Location: Missing in Finnish wilderness, howling to moon with wolf brethren and walking with brother bears

Re: PC is Freezing

Post by thejamppa » Wed Jul 09, 2008 7:45 am

jordi.c wrote:

I have removed my PCI SATA Card Sil 3112 three days ago where two Samsung F1 drives were connected to (1TB and 750GB model) and didn't have a freeze anymore.
That sounds that card might cause conflict with IRQ or then there is some other level problem regarding that PCI card.

It might be better to upgrade motherboard with enough stata connections so you don't need the PCI expansion card...

jordi.c

Post by jordi.c » Wed Jul 09, 2008 7:51 am

Hi,

That is out of the option for the moment, because I need to buy a new CPU/RAM etc. than.

You don't think it has anything to do with the PSU or the SATA Card?

jhhoffma

Post by jhhoffma » Wed Jul 09, 2008 7:56 am

You say it has a peeptone (beeping?) when it freezes?

Sounds like a temperature alarm to me. Go into your BIOS and look at the temperatures and if there are any STOP or ALARM features that will sound if your PC reaches a certain temp.

Maybe the hard drives are blocking airflow and your PC is overheating?

jordi.c

Post by jordi.c » Wed Jul 09, 2008 8:03 am

jhhoffma wrote:You say it has a peeptone (beeping?) when it freezes?

Sounds like a temperature alarm to me. Go into your BIOS and look at the temperatures and if there are any STOP or ALARM features that will sound if your PC reaches a certain temp.

Maybe the hard drives are blocking airflow and your PC is overheating?
No, sorry if i wasn't to clear.

Let me explain it a little bit more.

When playing music sometimes there comes a high peep in place. When I press play/stop manual in my mediaplayer 10x the sound is back to normal :/
This is not when the PC is freezing. When the PC freeze there is no sound at all.

andyb
Patron of SPCR

Post by andyb » Wed Jul 09, 2008 9:50 am

The strange noise you hear is probably not an alarm, I suspect it is actually comping from the speakers, if the problem is easy to replicate - do so with the speakers turned off totally.

If you dont get any freezing/other problems without the SATA card in the PC then it is either the card, or something associated with it. If it happens without the card it is very likely to be the motherboard or PSU (but not due to being overloaded.

Andy

ntavlas

Post by ntavlas » Wed Jul 09, 2008 1:18 pm

We already know that the sata card triggered the freezing. Does the beeping happen even without it?

It could be 2 different issues, driver or irq related. You could free some irqs by disabling uneeded devices in the bios, some motherboards also allow you to change the irq assignement for some onboard devices.

If it`s a driver issue it might help too look at the manufacturer`s forum.

jordi.c

Post by jordi.c » Wed Jul 09, 2008 1:29 pm

ntavlas wrote:We already know that the sata card triggered the freezing. Does the beeping happen even without it?

It could be 2 different issues, driver or irq related. You could free some irqs by disabling uneeded devices in the bios, some motherboards also allow you to change the irq assignement for some onboard devices.

If it`s a driver issue it might help too look at the manufacturer`s forum.
Hi ntavlas,

It definately looks like the sata card is triggering it.

I have no beeping now without the SATA Card.

I have installed latest drivers for the SATA Card even tried to update to the latest bios chip.

I have already audio/ethernet/parallel port disabled in the bios.

I forget to mention that the freezing happened everytime why i tried to access the 750GB Samsung F1 drive. Now I have that same drive connected on the motherboard and it works ok.

Next week i get a new SATA Card from USA bought it from ebay http://cgi.ebay.nl/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie ... :IT&ih=011

However I hope this works better it is a SATA II card instead of my previous Sil was a SATA I.

Modo

Post by Modo » Wed Jul 09, 2008 1:31 pm

Have you tried using a different slot (or different slots) for the cards in your system? I've seen weird things happen in one config only when specific slots were used at the same time.

I've also had a freeze issue with loud sounds coming from my speakers with a SB Live card that wasn't seated right. It went away after I secured the card in place, by bending the back panel a little. Perhaps that is the problem (be it the card itself, or the slot you used)?

jordi.c

Post by jordi.c » Wed Jul 09, 2008 1:33 pm

Modo wrote:Have you tried using a different slot (or different slots) for the cards in your system? I've seen weird things happen in one config only when specific slots were used at the same time.

I've also had a freeze issue with loud sounds coming from my speakers with a SB Live card that wasn't seated right. It went away after I secured the card in place, by bending the back panel a little. Perhaps that is the problem (be it the card itself, or the slot you used)?
When I have the SATA Card not in use the SoundCard doesn't give any problems.

Modo

Post by Modo » Wed Jul 09, 2008 1:49 pm

jordi.c wrote: When I have the SATA Card not in use the SoundCard doesn't give any problems.
I see that. But have you tried other PCI slots (for both cards)? Yes, I know they are all supposed to work the same, but I've experienced first hand that it's not always the case.

Arvo

Post by Arvo » Wed Jul 09, 2008 2:35 pm

Do you experience any problems when you remove SB sound card? Many SB cards are known to not obey PCI bus standards; this may affect other PCI cards too.

jordi.c

Post by jordi.c » Wed Jul 09, 2008 2:36 pm

Yes, I tried without Soundcard :(

bonestonne

Post by bonestonne » Wed Jul 09, 2008 4:05 pm

wow, i'm not the only person with crazy freezing.

do any of those hard drives run on the ATA bus? if they do, are they also running on the same cable as an optical drive?

i had spontaneous and terrible freezing with my rig, and ridiculous boot times (well past 2 minutes, after POST and selecting OS, i run a dual boot).

just yesterday, i noticed that right before one of the hangs, my music drive had shut off, i heard it shut off too, the typical light 'click' and then the spin down, which is quite obvious as the front of my case is mesh and the drive is in the 5.25" bays.

well, i got sick of that (because i needed to open photoshop so i could help a friend) so i unplugged my drive, rebooted, and now my rig is a lot faster.

if you have ATA hard drives, i suggest you try unplugging them, both ATA and power, if you lose the hangs, then that's it. for me, it means a new drive, with more capacity (drive is close to full anyway).