Antec 300 build, would it work?

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Asulc

Antec 300 build, would it work?

Post by Asulc » Thu Aug 07, 2008 7:22 pm

Would an Antec 300 provide enough cooling using two exhaust fans (120 and a 140), or would it be good to add a third 120 to the front?

Some P45 mobo (Waiting for Abit IP45 Pro...)
E8400
ATI 4850
WD GP 750gig
WD SE16 640gig
4gig OCZ 800mhz ram
Enermax Modu82+ 425watt
Scythe Ninja 2
Arctic Cooling Accelero S1 rv2

Also, is there any other reccomendations for my build? I will be modding the Antec 300 so that is is quieter (for example, covering the unused fan holes, suspending the hard drives, using ducting...).

thejamppa
Location: Missing in Finnish wilderness, howling to moon with wolf brethren and walking with brother bears

Post by thejamppa » Fri Aug 08, 2008 3:46 am

Instead Ninja, think of Xigmatek HDT-S1283... And Yes configuration would work. You always could put 2x 500 RPM slipstream in front of 300. In the states slipstream are pretty affordable fans.

HDD suspension kills most of the noise. Then comes cutting fan grills as they negate almost entirely of turbulence noise when removed.

IgaZ

Post by IgaZ » Fri Aug 08, 2008 4:21 am

thejamppa wrote:Instead Ninja, think of Xigmatek HDT-S1283....
Why do you say that? I thought the new ninja beats the sigamtek both in terms of stock fan (slip stream) and passive capabilites?

thejamppa
Location: Missing in Finnish wilderness, howling to moon with wolf brethren and walking with brother bears

Post by thejamppa » Fri Aug 08, 2008 8:37 am

Ninja's fundamental issues i.e. heavy construction with push-pin attachment have not been fixed. Xigmatek is a lot lighter and you can get bolt-thru kit for it, unlike for Ninja two.

Besides Xigmatek costs less and is almost tie TRUE in cooling performance.

monkiman
Friend of SPCR
Location: Seattle, WA -- *Active* member of the SPCR Folding@Home team!

Post by monkiman » Fri Aug 08, 2008 8:59 am

I don't think the 300's problem has ever been that it's doesn't provide enough cooling...

I have similar components in one with a TRUE - and the 4850 running passive w/S1 - no front fan, top fan off - no issues cooling at all.

Guess I should change my sig one of these days :wink:

Asulc

Post by Asulc » Fri Aug 08, 2008 11:05 am

How does the Cooler Master 690 compare?
What are some good 14mm fans?
thejamppa wrote:Instead Ninja, think of Xigmatek HDT-S1283... And Yes configuration would work. You always could put 2x 500 RPM slipstream in front of 300. In the states slipstream are pretty affordable fans.

HDD suspension kills most of the noise. Then comes cutting fan grills as they negate almost entirely of turbulence noise when removed.
I will be cutting fan grills, and maybe replacing them with non restrictive ones...
IgaZ wrote:
thejamppa wrote:Instead Ninja, think of Xigmatek HDT-S1283....
Why do you say that? I thought the new ninja beats the sigamtek both in terms of stock fan (slip stream) and passive capabilites?
I would like to go the passive/low noise route...
thejamppa wrote:Ninja's fundamental issues i.e. heavy construction with push-pin attachment have not been fixed. Xigmatek is a lot lighter and you can get bolt-thru kit for it, unlike for Ninja two.

Besides Xigmatek costs less and is almost tie TRUE in cooling performance.
I read the review about the Xigmatek working good in low airflow, but what about passive?
monkiman wrote:I don't think the 300's problem has ever been that it's doesn't provide enough cooling...

I have similar components in one with a TRUE - and the 4850 running passive w/S1 - no front fan, top fan off - no issues cooling at all.

Guess I should change my sig one of these days :wink:
Could you post some pictures of you rig?

thejamppa

Post by thejamppa » Fri Aug 08, 2008 8:04 pm

Low Noise solution is to mount low RPM fan like Slipstream 500 / 800 RPM on the Heatsink, which provide some airflow yet are dead quiet inside the case. Xigmatek and Thermalright HR-01+ would be good choice for Intel Platoforms when using low RPM fan with them. Especially HR-01+ which is somewhat expensive on the side...