Is this GFX card running too hot?

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

AMDforlife

Is this GFX card running too hot?

Post by AMDforlife » Sat Aug 09, 2008 10:17 am

Hi everyone,

My question is how hot is "too hot" for this video card running passively. The gfx card is an old MSI GF4 Ti4200, I removed the stock cooler and attached a small P3 heatsink. I used a drop of AS5 paste in the middle and four smaller drops of some sort of super glue to adhere the heatsink to the (large 1" square) GPU core. It is very secure.

This gfx card is only needed for 2-D usage in a dual monitor workstation.
If you don't want to read much, feel free to skip my results in the section I created.

==================================
After some testing, I got some very interesting results...

Passive w/ 2 lower PCI slots removed, idle temps = 35*C
Passive w/ PCI covers on aka closed, idle temps = 70*C
P3 fan ON w/ PCI covers on aka closed + 4cm fan ON at ~1400rpm, temps = 47*C

I'd like to run the card passive b/c with 2 PCI slots removed, a ton of dust gets in the system. With the P3 fan, it isn't the most secure, and I'm worried it might fall off over time or if the tower gets moved.
==================================

Is 70*C too hot for this older card running passive? It is, in fact, scorching hot to the touch.

thejamppa
Location: Missing in Finnish wilderness, howling to moon with wolf brethren and walking with brother bears

Post by thejamppa » Sat Aug 09, 2008 10:24 am

it seems air circulation is dead around GFX forming a hot pocket which is removed when two PCI-slots are removed. You could considered keep the slots removed while place DIY filter using thing sorthobane pad or similar that is not too restrictive. I use thing and relatively open soft package material I got with some of the electronics. Using such material over PCI slots it won't compromise much the air flow and keeps biggest dust out.

AMDforlife

Post by AMDforlife » Sat Aug 09, 2008 11:33 am

Yeah a "hot pocket" sounds about right. The system does not have an intake fan. Besides the 120mm fan in the PSU, the only exhaust is a 92mm fan at 1500rpm.

I could add an 80mm intake fan but I would want to use a real quiet one and it can only be mounted in front of my HDD. That drive is located directly in front of the video card. I'm not sure it would get much airflow.