P182 Cable management question.

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

NyteOwl

P182 Cable management question.

Post by NyteOwl » Sat Aug 23, 2008 7:24 pm

I am the recent proud owner of a P182 for a new workstation build. All has gone well baring a minor glitch or two and a scun knuckle getting the EATX connector in but I have discovered a problem.

I can't seem to get the extra power cabling to lie flat enough on the back of the motherboard plate to get the back panel on. No it's not a modular PSU so detaching the extra cables isn't an option.

Just wondered if anyone who has dealt with this kind of octopus has any suggestions?

bonestonne

Post by bonestonne » Sat Aug 23, 2008 7:30 pm

there are perforated loops on the back of the motherboard tray as i recall?

you should have also gotten some black plastic cable wraps, they should fit through that and you go that route for hidden cable management.

unless the included paraphernalia with the case has changed, you should have gotten that.

^like those

bozar

Post by bozar » Sun Aug 24, 2008 2:20 am

However, the main power cable is to big to fit in running at the back of the motherboard plate so you'll have to use some force to close the door on the back of the chassi.

Faster_Madman

Post by Faster_Madman » Sun Aug 24, 2008 2:53 am

Duct tape is your friend.
I found that the cable ties don't work as well for me as that good ole' trusted tool, the duct tape or gafa tape as we call it in these parts.
The problem is the main power cable which is difficult to keep in place when you put the side of the case back on and the cable ties just don't hold it down enough and tape come in very handy in that situation.

blackworx
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by blackworx » Sun Aug 24, 2008 3:44 am

The control freak option :twisted:

Image Image Image

thejamppa
Location: Missing in Finnish wilderness, howling to moon with wolf brethren and walking with brother bears

Post by thejamppa » Sun Aug 24, 2008 4:05 am

blackworx wrote:The control freak option :twisted:

Image Image Image
Damn!!! That's so need its shame to be hidden!!

NyteOwl

Post by NyteOwl » Sun Aug 24, 2008 1:10 pm

blackworx: Well done! That's insipiring.

Faster-Madman: that's close to my solution.

I woke up at 4am and though of a solution. I took all the cable ties off the back and used good quality electrical tape to secure the cables flat to the back of panel. Coiled the two extra PCI-E cables into the space next to the PSU and the panel went on with no problems.

Sometimes sleeping on it *does* work :)

Thanks for the help folks!

bozar

Post by bozar » Sun Aug 24, 2008 1:40 pm

I also used tape because of those limitied ties, one really nice improvement though for future p18x series would be a deeper channel for the main atxcabel.

bonestonne

Post by bonestonne » Sun Aug 24, 2008 3:16 pm

i'd suggest for those of you using tapes, use Gaffers tape only. duct tape can start to drip and slide when it's heated up, and Gaffers tape will also not leave any residue if you remove it.

hope that helps people out. i know its not the most common type of tape, but unless you want to use gasoline to clean off the duct tape residue (have yet to find a better way) you may want to steer clear.

NyteOwl

Post by NyteOwl » Sun Aug 24, 2008 4:31 pm

@bonestonne

yes indeed. One reason I sued good electrical tape. Duct tape is just too messy and I have no gaffers tape. But you have to use high quality electric tape or you end up in the same sitation as the duct tape with an adhesive mess. I'll likey redo it eventually.

@bozar

Yep, a slightly deeper and wider channel in that spot would be nice. Also a notch in the corner of the 3.5" bay that would line up with the one in the motherboard panel to permit a bit more flixible routing in that spot.

NyteOwl

Post by NyteOwl » Mon Aug 25, 2008 2:40 pm

Update:

While having a tea on the deck while XP worked it's way through a format/install I had another thought, and when the install was done, in light of the potential heat/adhesive issue, I removed all the tape and created a "web" on the back side out of the strong lightweight nylon cordage used to repair tennis nets. It is fastened to the tie points for Antec's cable ties and actually worked out better than the tape.

Emyr

Post by Emyr » Mon Aug 25, 2008 3:47 pm

Um...

As far as I knew, [Gaffer = Duct = Elephant] tape.

Anyone care to explain the difference?

Vicotnik
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Vicotnik » Mon Aug 25, 2008 5:01 pm

I'm not sure but duct tape (often called "gaffa" here in Sweden) is usually grayish in color and fabric-reinforced so you rip it of rather than cut it. The rolls are wide, about 50mm I think.

Electrical tape comes in thinner rolls and the tape is elastic and not fabric-reinforced. The adhesive is not as good as with duct tape (although I'm sure there are better quality variants).

Please correct me if I'm wrong about any of this.

Elephant tape is new to me. Never heard the term before.

bonestonne

Post by bonestonne » Mon Aug 25, 2008 5:44 pm

http://www.ducttapeguys.com/duckvsduct.html

people who work on lighting rigs are often called Gaffers, hence gaffers tape. its much different from duct tape, and it has closer to a fabric base instead of the glossy look of duct tape.

blackworx
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by blackworx » Mon Aug 25, 2008 10:52 pm

bonestonne wrote:people who work on lighting rigs are often called Gaffers
It's actually whoever's in charge that gets called the gaffer and it's not just in stage lighting, although the word does have an "official" meaning within the film industry - i.e. the head of the lighting crew/electrical dept.

"Gaffer" is basically a British colloquialism meaning "the boss". Any work crew, gang or team (e.g. construction, football etc.) has its boss and he/she is commonly referred to as the gaffer.

Emyr

Post by Emyr » Tue Aug 26, 2008 12:50 am

As a student, my term-time job is in the entertainments department of our Students' Union (in charge of sound, lights, power, stage builds etc).

To me, Gaffer = Duct. It's a shiny plastic tape with fabric in it so it tears easily. The glue is sticky and often leaves a grey residue.

blackworx
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by blackworx » Tue Aug 26, 2008 2:47 am

I can see why you'd think that, as there are so many different manufacturers making tape with so many different variations in quality/thickness/stretchiness/shininess that it is hard to tell the difference.

Traditionally, duct tape is much shinier, stretchier and gummier and has a much looser weave in the fabric than gaffer tape. Often duct tape has no fabric in it at all.

Gaffer tape is less shiny, much thicker and has a tight weave in the backing. It is stronger and much less stretchy than duct tape but tears more readily, does not deform as much on tearing and is less prone to sagging in use.

Duct tape leaves a residue almost instantly on most surfaces - i.e. if you stick it down hard then pull it off, the adhesive will have started to flow. Gaffer tape does not bond so quickly, but will definitely leave a residue within a few hours, especially if pressed down hard or used on a rough or already-sticky surface, for example in stage rigging where it is ripped off quickly during the get-out. If used with care on clean bare metal like a PC case (i.e. gently pressed down) you can generally get away with gaffer tape not leaving a residue for a few months, maybe a year, but in time it is unavoidable. Any self-adhesive tape, if left for long enough, will gum up and make a mess then ultimately dry up and fall off - it's just the rate at which this happens that varies.

But, like I say, the difference is not so clear cut these days. The situation isn't helped by brands such as "Duck" tape adding to the confusion.

BTW I'm not a sticky tape geek, I used to be a marine survey tech and I needed every kind imaginable in my toolbox. Plus I have a friend who's been a lighting rigger for the last 20-odd years and who is the reason I have a bag full of half-used rolls of gaffer tape :lol:

For the record, I used gaffer tape to tidy up the cables behind the mobo tray in my last build. There was a fair amount of residue by the time I took it apart nearly 3 years later. It wasn't so difficult to clean the case itself, but getting it off the cables was a chore.