2 setups, how would u reconfigure these parts and purchase?

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

johnyc

2 setups, how would u reconfigure these parts and purchase?

Post by johnyc » Tue Sep 23, 2008 11:50 am

Hi folks right now I have 2 systems, 1 for general use/ htpc/ downloading/ file server/ burning, and the other as a DAW/ photo/video editing, some 3d rendering machine.

The problem with the general use pc is that it's an antec solo, P4, agp x800xl and the video card/ system can't playback 1080p material and the mobo only has 2 sata ports for hdds. I need a total of 4 hdds. Now I was thinking of getting a pci sata card to add more hdds and better agp vid card but maybe it's best just to retire this system.

The DAW system is a antec p150, q6600, p35-ds3L, 4gb ram, radeon x1950 pro, 2 - 3 harddrives..

Considering I also have an extra 8800gt, and corsair HX620W PSU unopened ready to be used, which parts would you use for which systems and what else would you buy if these were the top priorities for each system? Highest priorities run from top to bottom.

DAW:
1) powerful enough for large multitrack sessions and Low Audio recording latency.
2) silence
3) powerful enough for large photoshop files
4) powerful enough for video editing and encoding
5) some 3d rendering

Everything else PC:
1) room for 4 hard drives,
2) hd video playback (1080p x264)
3) downloading, burning
4) silence
5) gaming

I'm thinking maybe it's best to have just DAW for audio? then it wouldn't need such a powerful video card. but which mobo, processer, video, and ram would you get for it?

Then I could use the ds3l, q6600, hx620w, 8800gt for everything else??

decisions decisions, what do you folks think??

Faster_Madman

Post by Faster_Madman » Thu Sep 25, 2008 1:21 am

I think that your idea about having one PC for a DAW is logic.
You should keep the best components for the DAW, including case and PSU, and modify everything for silent running and get a passive video card too. Keep the fans to a minimum and as slow as possible.

Then you could retire the other system and build a whole new rig for all the other things.

One approach could be to get a power efficient AMD CPU and motherboard for the DAW and reuse the Q6600 for the "general purpose" rig.

johnyc

Post by johnyc » Thu Oct 02, 2008 8:39 am

still haven't figured out what i should do.. im not familiar with amd's lineup since the days of the barton 2500+.. by power efficient CPU do you mean the opterons? which mobo too?
thanks

Lawrence Lee
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Lawrence Lee » Thu Oct 02, 2008 9:06 am

If you just want to do just audio on your DAW, I'd use an Intel E5200 CPU and a cheap mATX board with integrated video. Ditch the X1950 Pro completely - it's a hot, inefficient card.

Then use the rest for your gaming/photo/rendering system. Maybe put an Accelero S1 on the 8800GT.

johnyc

Post by johnyc » Thu Oct 02, 2008 9:30 am

found this combo for $119 (e5200 + Biostar G31-M7 mATX).http://www.ncix.com/products/index.php? ... omoid=1078

I like the price! I wonder if the performance will be good enough for large audio projects. Which HSF would you recommend? Can you do passive on the e5200??

Faster_Madman

Post by Faster_Madman » Thu Oct 02, 2008 10:25 am

I was thinking an 45 Watt X2 CPU like the AMD X2 4850e which is powerful enough for a DAW.
Also i think that the onboard memory controller on AMD CPU's is a plus for a DAW.
Regarding motherboard i'm not really sure which motherboard to recommend as it depends on which features you want. Personally i would go for as few features as possible as it is only going to be used for DAW, so you won't need many features but you'll probably need a good firewire controller and definitely lots of RAM.
It depends really.

What kind of audio hardware do you use to record, is it firewire based, MIDI or USB?

Perfect solution would probably be a passively cooled DAW and an all other tasks quiet PC.
I believe the HX620 is quiet enough to use in a DAW.
The 8800GT with a passive cooler could very well go in your all tasks PC.
4 GB of RAM will be enough for a DAW, especially if you intend to use a 32 bit OS which can only use 3.xxx MB of RAM anyway.

johnyc

Post by johnyc » Thu Oct 02, 2008 11:08 am

sounds like uv built a DAW or three in your time!!

I'm using an emu 1616m PCI version right now. I do both audio and Midi..
I'm going to look into the amd for sure and the memory controller you speak of

Faster_Madman

Post by Faster_Madman » Thu Oct 02, 2008 12:41 pm

I'm not a professional DAW expert but i have built a few audio/music recording platforms for friends and myself in the last couple of years.

The biggest problem with building DAW's is getting them completely silent, which is nearly impossible.

There's also the problem with compatability and interference, which is usually only recognized after the build is finished, in which case you need to tweak: I.E swapping heatsinks, fans, harddrives and sometimes motherboard, VGA, sound cards and internal and external cabling.

But if you're willing to settle for a very quiet system it is definitely possible.

Another approach, if you're doing analog recording, is to place the DAW in another room than the one you're recording in, which is often easier to achieve and cheaper than building a truely silent system.

I have never build an MacOS based DAW so you see i'm no expert at all. :)

P.S It also depends on the software you use. Some audio applications like Steinberg Cubase can take advantage of four cores in which case your Q6600 could be useful.

johnyc

Post by johnyc » Thu Oct 02, 2008 5:20 pm

Well I ended up ordering these for the DAW:

Mobo: Biostar G31-M7 mATX LGA775 G31
CPU: Intel E5200
RAM: Mushkin HP PC2-6400 4GB 2X2GB DDR2-800 CL5-4-4-12
HSF: Xigmatek HDT-S1283 + Xigmatek ACK-I7751 Crossbow Mount Kit

Other parts I already own to be added =

Case: Antec Solo
PSU: Antec Neo 430 HE
Audio: Emu 1616M
HDDs: 2x WD 640gb scratch disks/ samples + either a 160gb IDE drive, or a 250gb sata drive for the OS..

Video: onboard VGA for now. I think I'll pop the 8800GT in here eventually when I retire it from the other system when a Radeon 48xx
is more affordable.

As for the other system It will be this (stuff I already have):

Mobo: Gigabyte P35-DS3L
CPU: Intel Q6600
HSF: Thermalright ULTIMA-90 + 120mm fan
RAM: 4gb PC2-6400 Buffalo Firestix
Video: 256mb 8800GT
Case: Antec P150
PSU: Corsair HX620W CMPSU-620HX
Audio: onboard for now
HDDs: as many as I can fit and cool effectivly.

I'm looking into getting the Accelero S1 for the 8800gt.

The thing that is giving me a headache is deciding on air cooling.

I'm thinking for the DAW I'll need a 120mm exhaust and 120mm HSF?

And for the other computer a 120mm exhaust, 120mm HST, 92mm intake?

Can someone please help me choose fans to get.. ie. brand and model.. and where I should put each.

I already own a total of 4 yate loon D12SL-12 120mm fans and 3 fanmate controller things. But can buy some Scythe / noctua, etc. for intakes, exhausts, CPU, GPU for better airflow.. I just don't know which ones..
Thanks again