System advice

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

monkey.boy

System advice

Post by monkey.boy » Wed Oct 01, 2008 11:57 am

System will be used for:
* running linux (and Windows XP using VMWare and/or VirtualBox)
* software development (java)
* browsing the internet
* maybe watch a movie now and then
* I definitely need 2xDVI : will connect 2x Samsung 2034BW 20"
* maybe I will add another 4Gb of RAM some time next year

Parts I have in mind: (price in euro between brackets)
* Antec P182 (120)
* Corsair HX520W (88)
* Intel Core2 Duo E8400 (155)
* Scythe Katana 2 Heatpipe (28)
* Asus P5Q motherboard (110)
* Asus EAH3650 Silent Magic 512MB GDDR2 (51)
* OCZ 2x2048MB 800Mhz PC6400 DDR2 (88)
* 2x Samsung Spinpoint 750 GB F1 HD753LJ (2x85)

When I add DVD-RW + Card Reader, total cost will be around 850 euro.
That's about 240 euro more than a Dell Inspiron 530 with more or less the same components.

My questions:
* Will this system be a lot quieter than the Dell Inspiron ?
* Since I am not a gamer, I guess the HD-3650 will be enough for me but maybe my money is better spent on a HD-4650 ?
* I have no idea about the motherboard so let me know if you have better alternatives
* anything else I need to make this system silent ?

Any other comments or recommendations ?

I am a newbie when it comes to acoustics and I am not looking forward to a long-term project getting this system silent.

Thanks

Faster_Madman

Post by Faster_Madman » Wed Oct 01, 2008 3:41 pm

Hi and Welcome to SPCR

I don't know how loud the Dell Inspiron is but the system you plan on building will definitely have the potential to be very quiet right out of the box.

I would advice you to get a 4650 instead of the 3650 just because it is a newer card and the price difference is diminutive. But if you can get a passive 3650 for a decent price and the same is not possible for the 4650, you should get the passive 3650 since you don't need a lot of graphic power.

Also, i would suggest you get some WD64000AAKS drives instead of the Samsung drives simply because i know the WD drives are very quiet and i don't know if the Samsung drives are just as quiet.

These would be my recommendations and i'm not an expert in any way, i just hate listening to noisy computers.

Oh by the way, be aware that the P5Q series of boards have some issues with RAM compatibility but they are nice boards.

Vicotnik
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Vicotnik » Wed Oct 01, 2008 6:07 pm

I would go with a Gigabyte P45 motherboard and not an Asus board, but that is a matter of personal preference. Also I would go with a passive cooler on the CPU and only use a single fan in back of the P182, a Slipstream 800RPM perhaps. The HX520W is a bit overkill, you could perhaps save a little money by getting a VX450W.
I agree with Faster_Madman that WDs would be better.

But it really is a nice system you have there. Much better than a Dell system and well worth the extra money if low noise is important.

monkey.boy

Post by monkey.boy » Fri Oct 03, 2008 7:17 am

Thanks for the advice. I will certainly go for the WD6400AAKS then.
Have some extra questions.

1) What about using a Gigabyte GA-EP35-DS3 instead ?
It has everything I need, is a little bit cheaper and I've read that it's more energy efficient:
http://tweakers.net/reviews/923/3/p45-m ... ina-3.html

2) Would the P182 be overkill for this system ?

3) I will probably assemble the system myself. I've only assembled two systems until now, and last one is 6 years ago.
Has things got more complex since ?

4) And is the P182 harder to install than another case ?
My local computer shop charges 80 euro for installing inside a P182
and only 50 euro more for installing in another case. Makes me wonder.

Thanks

Vicotnik
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Vicotnik » Fri Oct 03, 2008 8:19 am

1. I would go for a GA-EP45-DS3R or GA-EP45-DS3L. They are almost the same as the EP35's only with a slightly newer chipset. Power consumption is about the same.
There are also other EP45-DS3's so one can choose one based on the features and price. For example the GA-EP45-DS3P would be overkill for me since I don't need extra PCIe x16 slots.

2. No, P182 is a great case.

3. No I don't think so. Most things has gotten easier, like no more awkward PATA cables, cases with good cable management.

4. The only tricky thing with the P182 is the cable management. Since the PSU is in the bottom it's a bit different to assemble a system in the case, but it's not difficult. It's an extremely well built case and if you run into problems there are many people here on SPCR with the same case that could assist you with instructions and pictures.

monkey.boy

Post by monkey.boy » Sat Oct 04, 2008 7:16 am

When you say "a passive cooler on the CPU", do you mean something like a Scythe Ninja Mini without the fan installed ?

http://www.scythe-eu.com/en/products/cp ... -mini.html