2 x ATI 3650 for 4 x TFT PROBLEM

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

wojtek

2 x ATI 3650 for 4 x TFT PROBLEM

Post by wojtek » Fri Oct 31, 2008 3:53 am

Hi all,

During my recent sickness, I decided to finally build my dream silent workstation with 4 TFT's. Because dedicated graphic card with four video outputs are much beyond my reach (FireMV 2400 is about 300 pounds here), so decided to try setup with 2 cheap graphic cards (60 pounds). Sadly, my PC freezes very often because of those cards. This is some details of my PC:

Intel E8400 with Ninja
Asus P5Q Pro
2 GB RAM Corsair DHX C4 DDR2 800MHz
2 x Asus EAH3650 Silent Magic 512MB
Samsung F1 320GB
WD 320GB - one platter version
Tagan 520W
Antec P180B with 1 x Nexus in upper chamber
Windows XP SP3 with all updates (I tried without updates too)
1 x 22inch TFT
3 x 19inch TFT

Temps are ok - CPU about 30 degree and GPU hovering at 40-50 degree. Problem is even bigger with any diagnostic software running in the background. I checked sysfan, everest and hardware monitor. Each causing crash of graphic card in 5 minutes. In single card configuration everything is ok. I tried different drivers - each between version 8.7 and 8.10 - with and without hydravision and CCC. Virus is out of question because this PC is not connected to the network.

Any ideas what is going on? I will really apreciate any as I run out of my own during last 2 weeks...

Sorry about my poor english and thanks for help

FartingBob
Patron of SPCR

Post by FartingBob » Fri Oct 31, 2008 5:43 am

With bioth cards in, have you enabled crossfire? Try disabling that. I know nvidia doesnt work with SLI multi-monitors, ATI apparently does but i dont think its perfect and using 4 monitors would only make that worse.
Have you contacted ATI support? They would probably be able to help if its a common problem. Look on their forums as well see if anyone else has a similar setup and solution.

Out of interest, why 4 monitors??

wojtek

Post by wojtek » Fri Oct 31, 2008 6:31 am

Thanks for reply.

No, I didn't enable Crossfire. There is option to enable crossfire or multi monitor setup, so I choosing later. GPU-Z showing CrossFire Disabled. Problem is, that even when only one monitor is enabled (but both cards are in) it doesn't change anything. So I don't think that is important how many monitors are connected... probably.... Cards (or driver) just don't want work properly.

I didn't contact ATI support - I'm fixing and bulding PC's since 12 years and my ego will not stand it ;) But if by next week I will not find solution than probably... maybe....

Why 4? Some people need as much screen as possible and it's much cheaper to buy 4 x 22inch (400 pounds) than 2 x 30 inch (1,600 pounds). For my second hobby I need to compare and analyze a lot of data simultanously - it's making things faster and easier. I build this computer more as a proof of concept to check how it will work, and work well until graphic driver die... Sometime all day is ok, sometime is crashing every 5 minutes. Now is working ok since about 3 hours, only because I'm avoiding some particular tasks.
Now I did one of those 'forbidden' things and monitors (just 3 are connected at the moment) immedietly went blank - but only those connected to the first card. Third monitor is still working!!!

ANY IDEAS!?!?!?!?! I'm getting crazy...

Nick Geraedts
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Nick Geraedts » Fri Oct 31, 2008 10:14 am

Go back to basic troubleshooting procedure. You said "in single card configuration, everything is ok". Did you check each card in the first PCIe x16 slot? Each card in the second PCIe x16 slot? With two cards and two slots, there are four test cases to check.

Have you updated the latest drivers for your motherboard as well? Updated BIOS?

I'm using two graphics cards in my system (ASUS 4850 + 3650 Silent Magic) and three monitors, and everything works smoothly. From an "is it possible" point of view, it is. My first instinct is that you're getting driver or BIOS errors which cause your problems.

If you have access to a Vista installation disc, try installing that (You don't need a key for the first 30 days) instead of XP. Against popular belief, Vista has a far more stable driver model - especially when it comes to video drivers.

I'm wondering if it's possible for you to get a bugcheck of your system to see what's going on. I've seen some pretty quirky things with drivers on both sides of the fence (My AMD780G based board BSOD's when trying to "wake up" the TV connected via HDMI - setting the monitor turn off to never solves this problem).

wojtek

Post by wojtek » Fri Oct 31, 2008 11:37 am

Thank you Nick for advice.

My instinct screaming "drivers!". But I will update BIOS as well. Drivers for mobo was updated on day one. Today's morning - after my post - I got similar feeling (that I missed something at the begining) and all day I'm doing basic troubleshooting - different monitors, cables, drivers etc (sometime I'm overconfident about my skills and overlooking some simple things). Thanks for mentioning Vista - I forgot about this and will try tonight. Setup with 4 monitors was my little dream since about 2 years so I will no give up so easly - I can even convert to Vista... ;)

All time I have strange feeling in my liver (?) that my problem is caused by Asus mobo - but this is maybe because I never liked Asus branded stuff (This is my first Asus mobo since about 10 years).

I have second PC with E6600, GF8800GTS and Abit AB9Pro mobo which I will use for bugchecking over a weekend.

Your experience with similar setup is giving me some hope...

19.30 GMT - I checked one of the card's in first slot doing same task which killed every time drivers when in 'full' config. Doesn't matter which monitor and how many of them, which cables etc - same effect - dissaster. Now I will check different card - from my old PC waiting for buyer - GF8800GTS. If situation will be same than update of the BIOS. I will update this post after every test...

Thanks for help guys....

21.30 GMT update: I put GF8800GTS 320MB into this PC and it's working great! With 1 and 2 TFT's. Diagnostic software (everest) works properly as well. So, what's next? Tommorow I will start with checking Asus 3650 cards in my old system and updating BIOS in new mobo....
Nick, can you tell me which drivers are you using and in which configuration - with or without hydravision, ccc etc ?

Nick Geraedts
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Nick Geraedts » Fri Oct 31, 2008 1:43 pm

I'm using Catalyst 8.10 for Vista x64. I have not installed a separate package for Hydravision, but I believe the CCC is included with the drivers. I'm actually quite pleased with the stability of the recent Catalyst driver releases.

I doubt that your problem is specific to using an ASUS motherboard, but then again, I've never trusted ASUS's yellow PCB boards (these are usually the basic plain models). I've always purchased boards that use their black PCB and I haven't had any major issues to date. *touch wood*

Just checking what you've done so far in terms of troubleshooting:

P5Q Pro + dual 3650 = freeze
P5Q Pro + single 3650 (in PCIe x16 slot #1) = ok
P5Q Pro + single 3650 (in PCIe x16 slot #2) = ???
Abit AB9Pro + 8800GTS = ok

Have I got it correct so far? The logical things to test are the second single card test I mentioned above as well as:

P5Q Pro + 8800GTS = ???
Abit AB9Pro + 3650 = ??? (test each card)

wojtek

Post by wojtek » Fri Oct 31, 2008 2:24 pm

Update 2008/11/01 - added results of another test. Single card under Vista works ok. Now update of BIOS - will post result
Nick Geraedts wrote:I'm using Catalyst 8.10 for Vista x64. I have not installed a separate package for Hydravision, but I believe the CCC is included with the drivers. I'm actually quite pleased with the stability of the recent Catalyst driver releases.

I doubt that your problem is specific to using an ASUS motherboard, but then again, I've never trusted ASUS's yellow PCB boards (these are usually the basic plain models). I've always purchased boards that use their black PCB and I haven't had any major issues to date. *touch wood*

Just checking what you've done so far in terms of troubleshooting:

P5Q Pro + dual 3650 = freeze
P5Q Pro + single 3650 (in PCIe x16 slot #1) = ok
P5Q Pro + single 3650 (in PCIe x16 slot #2) = ???

Have I got it correct so far? The logical things to test are the second single card test I mentioned above as well as:

P5Q Pro + 8800GTS = ???
Abit AB9Pro + 3650 = ??? (test each card)
Sorry, looks that my s****ty english creating additional problems ;)
My P5Q Pro have black PCB.
By basic task I understand 2-3 apps open and no one in full screen mode. No diagnostic software.
By normal I understand 5-7 apps with 10-15 windows (some in full screen mode) + diagnostic software, movie or music in the background

P5Q Pro + dual 3650 = freeze - basic task and freeze in 15 min
P5Q Pro + single 3650 (in PCIe x16 slot #1) = ok - was ok only for basic task.
P5Q Pro + single 3650 (in PCIe x16 slot #2) = ??? - not tested
P5Q Pro + 8800GTS = ok
Abit AB9Pro + 3650 = ok

As you can see, ASUS mobo is working with my old 8800GTS but not with new 3650.
My old Abit work properly with 3650.

Now I will try P5Q Pro + 3650 with Vista

I will test second card when I will put it together - I found that heatsink wasn't properly fastened...

Thank you for your time

wojtek

Post by wojtek » Sat Nov 01, 2008 9:06 am

Update 2008/11/01 17.00 GMT - upgrade of BIOS help with single 3650 and disabling of marvel increased responsivnes of system overall - 3x quicker to boot. One problem after - with enabled marvel and updated BIOS - external drive is not recognized - WTF!!!

Tomorrow I will test 2 x 3650 - today is my birthday party ;)

wojtek

Post by wojtek » Wed Nov 05, 2008 4:27 pm

Hi,

I'm sorry for lack of updates - I was testing different configs.

After update of BIOS - version 1406

P5Q Pro + 2x3650 + XP + 4xTFT - ok!!!

Marvel - piece of crap...

Thanks for help guys...

Nick Geraedts
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Nick Geraedts » Wed Nov 05, 2008 11:07 pm

Glad to hear you got things working. :)